Fixing Colin Kaepernick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/08/18/nfl-colin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers

Fixing Colin Kaepernick

The 49ers’ QB has fundamental flaws in his game. If he can’t take the next step, he may end up joining the mass exodus in San Francisco

by Andy Benoit

colin-kaepernick-650-392-mmqb.jpg

There are fundamental flaws to Kaepernick’s quarterbacking. His footwork is erratic. That stems from unsettledness in the pocket. If his first read is not immediately defined as open, Kaepernick is likely to abandon the play design, even if he’s yet to fully complete his drop-back. He’s an explosive mover, but also a stiff one.

Defenses don’t necessarily mind him breaking down and going out of structure the way they mind Russell Wilson doing this. Wilson can hurt you in a variety of ways on the move. Kaepernick is a limited passer while on the move and prone to mistakes; he’s not nearly as effective outside the pocket as his raw physical abilities might suggest.

Kaepernick has only made 45 starts (six of them in the playoffs). Typically, that’s not quite enough to judge an NFL quarterback. (Many say the number is 50 regular-season starts.) But he’s been so cemented in his style and has made such little progress toward correcting his issues that rendering judgment feels safe.

So Kaepernick is what he is. The question the Niners will face in 2016 and beyond is: Can we work with and around Kaepernick long-term? The answer will depend largely on the answer to 2015’s question, which is: How do we play with and around him?

It’s imperative they simplify the system. For the most part, Harbaugh and previous offensive coordinator Greg Roman did a great job with this, putting Kaepernick in a power run-based offense. (Though the Niners last year became less consistent on the ground and the coaches at times drifted away from that M.O.)

New coordinator Geep Chryst is expected to run a very rudimentary scheme, which is a plus. Chrystmust concoct plays that clearly define Kaepernick’s initial read. When given the comforting clarity, Kaepernick’s raw talent shines. Otherwise his play becomes randomized.

We talk all the time about defining reads for these young, raw, mobile quarterbacks. What does that mean? In Kaepernick’s case, a defined read needs to be a play that presents an immediate either/or decision. Unrefined at going through multiple progressions, Kaepernick is going to treat every play like an either/or decision anyway (either he throws to the first option, or he breaks down and moves in hopes of figuring something else out along the way).

One concept that’s conducive to this is play-action. The QB fakes the handoff and then, depending on the type of fake, he has either a safety or linebacker to read upon turning around to face the defense again. If the safety or linebacker has fallen for the fake, throw downfield. If not, check it down. Or run, depending on the design.

Another way to create a defined read is to use three-step timing on passes; the nature of the routes and blocking compels the quarterback to get rid of the ball in less than two seconds. Kaepernick, however, isn’t the sharpest pre-snap reader, doesn’t always unleash the ball on time here.

Screen passes are another option. There, the timing is a little less stringent and the play design almost always presents only one possible option.

The Niners have done these things over the years. However, GM Trent Baalke didn’t necessarily provide the type of weapons most conducive to this approach. Wideouts Anquan Boldin, Michael Crabtree, Stevie Johnson and Brandon Lloyd, for example, were quality players, but all pretty much the same: intermediate possession targets.

This year, Boldin is back—and he’s still capable of making contested catches, which is why he’ll remain Kaepernick’s go-to guy in critical situations—but Torrey Smith is now lining up on the other side. The ex-Raven is a straight-line speedster who provides a vertical element to this offense. His presence will stress defenses and impact how the safeties are used. This makes coverages clearer, serving to help define a read.

The signing of Reggie Bush is also part of the equation. He won’t be the featured back—second-year pro Carlos Hyde is ready for those duties—but he will get meaningful snaps as a movable chess piece. Defenses will have to take special account for Bush.

How they go about this will often tip the coverage—yet another way of creating defined looks for the quarterback. And Bush, though not as explosive at 30 as he was a few years ago, is still viable on screens and short area options routes. More read-defining tactics.

Along these same lines, you can also expect increased snaps for last year’s fourth-round pick Bruce Ellington, a lightning strike of a wideout who can be deployed on gadget plays. Gadgets equal defined reads.

If the passing game doesn’t take this simpler, more concise shape, the Niners will struggle to sustain drives. Hyde, who has good balance for a 230-pounder, might be ready for a feature role, but with two new starters along the O-line (left guard Brandon Thomas and, tentatively, right tackle Erik Pears), he won’t be running behind the same quality of man-blocking that Gore ran behind.

That’s why it’s important for Chryst to also incorporate more designed runs for Kaepernick. (Too many of Kaepernick’s 639 rushing yards last season came off scrambles.) Needless to say, designed runs are about as defined as reads get.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
TL;DR version:

If he didn't have such a strong team around him, he'd be garbage. And now that he doesnt (have a strong team around him), you just watch what happens.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
Letting Frank Gore walk is going a long way in the other direction, IMO.

I'm sure Hyde and Bush will do their best to make the read option work, but I'm expecting it to be ugly.

Couple that with the complete hemorrhage of their front seven...I dunno how this won't be a bad football team.

fearsomefour

Legend
He comes from an offense in college (the pistol) that is designed to take reads away from QBs. No reads or one read. So, he is coming from a place where he was rarely under center and an offense where reads were limited. Another example of how different the college game and pro game can be.
Kap has more physical talent than any QB in the league. His footwork, technique etc needs to get cleaned up, but, the bigger issue is finding secondary receivers and getting rid of the ball. Last year when he was instructed to be more of a pocket passer the sacks he took went way up. The Oline was injured but he created a ton of sacks because he could not find secondary receivers.
I think, particularly if the Whiners D struggles, the new coach will let him "be him". In other words plenty of tuck and running the ball. The big picture this is good news. Nothing in the NFL is more overrated than the running QB.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
TL;DR version:

If he didn't have such a strong team around him, he'd be garbage. And now that he doesnt (have a strong team around him), you just watch what happens.
This is what will happen!!

222.jpg

FRO

Legend
I thought Jaws said he was the best QB to ever play.

Support cast makes all the difference in the world. While the media likes to only focus on the QB, every successful QB has to have players around him. The great ones can get by with a little less, but even they need help.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Will neutering Colin help his game ? Not sure, but it will certainly help preserve the current gene pool.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Best way to fix him is to sign him to a long term, fully guaranteed contract.

fearsomefour

Legend
I thought Jaws said he was the best QB to ever play.

Support cast makes all the difference in the world. While the media likes to only focus on the QB, every successful QB has to have players around him. The great ones can get by with a little less, but even they need help.
He may be one of the most physically gifted QBs of all time.
Doesn't amount to much if you can't be a pocket passer.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Michael Crabtree takes a shot at Kaepernick.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.sfgate.com/raiders/article/Raiders-Michael-Crabtree-blessed-to-have-6501031.php

Raiders’ Michael Crabtree ‘blessed’ to have a fresh start
By Vic Tafur

It was time for a new beginning, so Michael Crabtree packed his belongings this spring and moved. About 40 miles.

The former 49ers receiver relocated from San Jose to San Francisco, to be closer to his new team, the Oakland Raiders. It has seemed like a much longer journey, considering how well Crabtree has fit in with his new team heading into Sunday’s season opener against the Bengals.

At training camp and in the preseason, he is looking again like the sure-handed threat who 85 catches for 1,105 yards in 2012.

“It’s been a great move, for both parties,” Crabtree said, in a one-on-one interview with The Chronicle. “I feel really good about it. … Blessed, really.”

For the first time in years, Crabtree is healthy in body and healthy in spirit, done with what he thought was a lot of negativity on his old team.

“A lot of people don’t know that the Niners offered me a contract, I just didn’t take it,” Crabtree said. “I wanted a fresh start. It was more money too — the Niners offered me more money than anybody did — but business is business and I wanted to come to a team that really wanted and needed me.”

He is excited about how the Raiders have come together the last few months.

“I like the guys around me and I would do anything for them, on or off the field,” Crabtree said. “We’re going to have fun.”

Crabtree might have been misunderstood with the 49ers, at times labeled a diva or a malcontent. And he can be hard to read at times, as Rodney Baker, the executive director of Crabtree’s charitable foundation, will attest.

“If you know him, he is going to show you love,” Baker said. “But if he doesn’t know you, he doesn’t know you. As Mike likes to say, he is an authentic guy. He is not going to pretend, or try to pretend.”

With the Raiders, Crabtree immediately hit it off with quarterback Derek Carr. Crabtree knew Derek’s brother, David, when they were teammates in San Francisco, and immediately liked Derek’s competitive nature.

“Little brother has a chip on his shoulder,” Crabtree said, laughing.

Crabtree and Carr always seem to be in the other’s ear on the practice field.

He’s awesome, one of the coolest people I’ve ever been around,” Carr said. “He makes catching look really boring and easy. It’s like catching the ball is something he has to do so he can have it. I can’t say enough good things about him.”

Crabtree doesn’t want to take shots at any of his former teammates but sometimes he can’t help it.

“I needed new scenery. It wasn’t for me,” Crabtree said. “I needed a quarterback that can deliver the ball, and that was hungry like I was.”

Niners quarterback Colin Kaepernick actually is one of the few players still standing after a tumultuous offseason down in Santa Clara.

“With all the stuff going on on the other side, it just feels so good to be on this side,” Crabtree said. “Just play ball and don’t worry about too much. Just play ball.”

Crabtree insists he doesn’t pay much attention to all of the 49ers’ defections, retirements and arrests. He is not very convincing.

“All I can do is just focus on me, I don’t really get into all that stuff,” he said. “They said all types of stuff about me that was false. They said I was this type of guy or that type of guy. I’m the same dude, man. I don’t bother nobody. … I play ball, that’s what I do.”

And Crabtree is playing well again, the team’s most impressive player at training camp. He finally is all the way back from a nagging foot injury and a torn Achilles tendon from a couple of years ago.

“With an Achilles injury, you might feel like you’re healthy but the burst is not there,” said Crabtree, who turns 28 on Monday. “I came back in six months, usually it takes a year, but I came back really fast to do what I could to help the team make the playoffs.

“Now, I look forward to see what I can contribute to this team. Injuries slow you down, man. You aren’t the same person.”

Carr echoes former 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh’s sentiment that Crabtree has the best hands he’s ever seen. And he makes up for a lack of elite speed with know-how.

“He knows coverage,” Carr said. “He knows how to set up his routes so that he can win. He plays that chess match with the corner throughout the game. If there’s a certain coverage and he knows the read’s not coming to him, he’ll make it look like something to set something else up down the line.”

Crabtree also has been a mentor to first-round pick Amari Cooper, giving him tips and urging Carr to throw more passes to the rookie in the preseason.

“Coop is nice,” Crabtree said. “He’s like my little brother, and watching him do work is going to be exciting. It’s important to get a feel for the game in the preseason.”

Crabtree has a lot of little brothers and sisters, thanks to his Crab5 Foundation back in his hometown Dallas area. The foundation has annual free football camps as well as opportunities for inner city kids to explore and develop their interests in the arts, music, other sports and academics.

“We’ll send the whole band to the Grambling-Prairie View game, fashion kids to New York, actors to Los Angeles,” Crabtree said. “They get that exposure. I was really big on that because I never had that. Open the doors a little bit for these guys.”

Crabtree never went to a football camp as a kid. But he found a way to get the swag that he now gives out to kids at his camps.

His mom, Bessie Turner, sold concessions at Texas Stadium, and Crabtree would help to raise money for his little league team. After the games, he would run down to the field to get gloves and towels from players that he would wear in his games.

Crabtree grew up in the same Oak Cliff area of Dallas that former Raiders great Tim Brown did.

“He was from my neighborhood,” Crabtree said. “He made it possible. ‘I can make it, man.’ … I used to sneak in and watch him work out. He didn’t know that.

“He used to work out at a middle school and I would sneak in, and watch him run all the different routes. Then, I finally met him about eight years ago. That’s my dude.”

Which made it even cooler when Crabtree decided to sign a one-year, incentive-heavy deal with the Raiders.

Not that anybody back home could figure out why he would sign with a team that was 11-37 the last three years.

“If everybody goes left, Mike is going to go right,” Baker said. “People were like, ‘Why would you go to the Raiders?’ But he had a real connection with Derek Carr and he just knew that was going to be his home.”

Home, 40 miles north, is where the heart is for Crabtree.

Vic Tafur is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. E-mail: vtafur@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @VicTafur

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
The guy never should have taken over for Smith. That was Harbaugh and the 9ers first mistake. Pinning your hopes and dreams on an inaccurate mobile QB with an inconsistent arm in a pocket passer system isn't going to go well and now they're suffering for that mistake.

Lost Harbaugh his job, and now the 9ers are floundering trying to figure out how the hell to use a guy with so many fundamental flaws. I've got to hand it to Harbaugh though, the fact that he went anywhere with Kaep at all is admirable.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don
Why they don't throw it to Davis more is beyond me……hate them so I'm fine with them ignoring their best athlete every game though.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
He's going to fail miserably this year with less weapons than before.I would not be shocked at all if SF ended up with a top 3 pick.Next year they draft their future and say bye bye to Kap.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I thought I've always heard you can't fix stupid? I wouldn't bet on making this guy an actual NFL QB.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nick-dont-know-if-its-regression-or-learning/

Kurt Warner on Kaepernick: Don’t know if it’s regression or learning
Posted by Josh Alper on October 6, 2015

491328976-e1444129056567.jpg
Getty Images

During the offseason, 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick worked out with Kurt Warner as he tried to make improvements to his ability to throw downfield out of the pocket.

Warner had some complimentary things to say about Kaepernick’s game, but acknowledged that one offseason might not be enough to make the necessary changes to “what you’ve been doing your entire career.” Warner also wondered what would happen “when bullets are flying and people are attacking you.”

The first four weeks of this season have provided some answers and they haven’t been good for Kaepernick. He’s not completing passes downfield and struggling to make quick reads against opposing pass rushes while doing less of the playmaking with his legs that made him successful earlier in his career. Warner said Kaepernick deserves a “chance to grow,” but admitted that he doesn’t know if that growth is ever going to come.

“Now that they’re not running as much and they don’t want to subject him to those kind of hits, now he’s playing more dropback quarterback,” Warner said, via ESPN.com. “Teams are playing more zone against him, and he’s having to make more decisions, see more on the fly and be able to anticipate and make some of those throws that he hasn’t really had to make in the past.

I don’t know if it’s regression or it’s just a young man that’s trying to learn. As I always say, it’s hard to learn at the best level. It’s hard to learn against the best players in the world, and that’s what we’re asking some of these spread quarterbacks to do once they move into the NFL.”

It’s possible that Kaepernick has regressed while trying to learn how to play a different style of quarterback. The teardown process has certainly been successful, now the 49ers have to show they can build him back up or they’ll have to look at other possibilities in the future.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
It's not about regression or learning, it's about character. But obviously Kurt is too classy to say it.