Five Second Year Players Primed for Breakout

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9298848/nfl-alshon-jeffery-potential-second-year-breakout-players" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ... ut-players</a>

During my seven years in the NFL, I saw players make the biggest gains in development going into their second seasons as pros. Look at it this way: There are no more on-campus workouts, 40 times or short shuttles as they prep for the draft. Instead, the focus is on functional football training in the offseason to improve strength and speed with an attention to detail in the film room that allows these players to mature as pro athletes.

Let's examine five second-year players who could be primed for a breakout season:

Alshon Jeffery, WR, Chicago Bears

With Marc Trestman now running the offense and bringing his West Coast playbook to Chicago, look for Jeffery to have an impact role in his second season. While the former South Carolina product isn't a pure vertical threat outside of the numbers (plays a 4.6 speed on tape), he is a fit for Trestman's scheme due to his size (6-foot-3, 216 pounds) and his ability to run intermediate inside-breaking cuts that put stress on a defender's initial leverage.

In terms of development, keep an eye on Jeffery and his route-running ability. As a rookie, the wideout struggled at times to create separation at the top of the route stem (break point) versus tight coverage. But when I saw Jeffery this spring in the Bears' veteran minicamp here in Chicago, he looked much more polished when sinking his hips and working back to the football.

Chicago added a middle-of-the-field target for quarterback Jay Cutler when it signed tight end Martellus Bennett via free agency to go along with Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall. However, don't forget about Jeffery as a solid No. 2 option outside of the numbers and a true target in the red zone. With Trestman running the show, I expect much more production than the 24 passes Jeffery caught in an up-and-down rookie season.

Ryan Tannehill, QB, Miami Dolphins

Considering the amount of justified hype surrounding rookie quarterbacks Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson in 2012, it was easy to overlook the fact that Tannehill threw for 3,000-plus yards in his first season for Joe Philbin's club. Tannehill is an athletic quarterback with a live arm, who is only going to improve from my perspective.

This offseason, the Dolphins were busy setting the table for Tannehill to succeed. The team added Mike Wallace and tight end Dustin Keller while re-signing receiver Brian Hartline to give the quarterback three options in the passing game. But it is Wallace who stands out when looking at the coaching staff's ability to devise a game plan and create deep-ball opportunities for Tannehill. Wallace excels on the top of the route tree (fade, post) versus press coverage or a deep half safety (Cover 2) and has explosive-play ability after the catch on a simple shallow crosser or drive route (Hi-Lo combination route). That helps a young quarterback who is still growing into the position after making the switch from wide receiver at Texas A&M.

For Tannehill, this offseason is key to his development at the position. Self-scouting (tape study), on-the-field technique work (mechanics, footwork) and reps with his new receivers through OTAs, minicamp and into summer training camp all add to the mix of improving his overall game. The arrow is pointing up on the young quarterback as he preps for his second season as a pro.

Janoris Jenkins, CB, St. Louis Rams

During the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., in 2012, Jenkins put his skill set on display for the entire league. Here's what I saw on the field: speed, change-of-direction ability, ball skills and the footwork that put him in a position to compete against the top senior talent in the country during drills.

Last season as a rookie with the Rams, Jenkins was a playmaker. He led the team with four interceptions and also racked up three defensive touchdowns. Watching the tape, Jenkins can bait a quarterback in Cover 2 (jam, sink and drive on outside-breaking cut), play from an off-man position and close on the ball. Yes, he needs to clean up his overall technique and trust his eyes to take that next step. But considering the style of defense the Rams play -- plus the pressure they will bring out of their sub packages -- Jenkins will once again be in a position to make plays in the secondary.

From a pure talent perspective, I would want Jenkins in my secondary. And with a full offseason to mature as a corner, Jenkins should see a jump in his development. The playmaking ability is a plus, but the Rams need more consistency from the former second-round pick. I believe that's exactly what they'll get this season out of Jenkins.

David Wilson, RB, New York Giants

Wilson had a slow start as a rookie because he put the ball on the ground. That was a negative on Wilson's scouting report when he came out of Virginia Tech. And in the NFL, ball security is vital at the offensive skill positions -- turn it over and you won't see the field.

But as the season progressed (and he started to regain the confidence of the Giants' coaching staff) Wilson saw more touches. He finished the season with 358 yards on 71 carries (5.0 yards per carry) with four touchdowns and showed that burst once he squared his pads to the line of scrimmage. Wilson is a running back who has the top-end speed to press the edge and get on the second level of the defense quickly.

Looking ahead to this season, Wilson will compete with Andre Brown to replace the departed Ahmad Bradshaw. But regardless of whom the Giants label as their No.1 back, Wilson can develop into a player with game-breaking ability at the position. The one-back schemes out of the Giants' offensive nickel personnel (three wide receivers on the field) like the zone, stretch and inside trap will allow Wilson to make one cut and get vertical up the field. There is no question Wilson will have to protect the football if he wants to be a consistent playmaker at the NFL level, but the skill set is there.

Harrison Smith, SS, Minnesota Vikings

The Vikings traded back into the first round in 2012 to land Smith out of Notre Dame and the aggressive move paid off. The rookie safety was very productive (credited with 104 tackles/74 solos) and he displayed some ball skills (three interceptions/two touchdown returns) in the back end of the Vikings' secondary. Those are solid numbers for a rookie in a Cover 2 (Tampa 2) defensive scheme.

Smith has the range, understands angles to the football and can play down in the run front (Cover 1, Cover 3) or off the top of the numbers (Cover 2 landmark) in the Vikings' two-deep shell. With an entire offseason to focus on divisional opponents, Smith can get a jump on formation recognition, pre-snap wide receiver splits and personnel within the NFC North from his film study. That is a crucial aspect to playing faster and understanding where the ball is going based off offensive alignments and movement.

We often throw around the idea of players being ideal fits for a scheme on both sides of the ball, but I truly see that with Smith in Minnesota. The Vikings will use a mix of eight-man fronts, zone pressure (rush five, drop six) and Cover 2. This is the right scheme for Smith to develop and improve upon his production from the 2012 season.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
nighttrain said:
I want this stuff from Pead, Quick,& ROK, and I want it now :twisted:
train
[mp3]http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyapedomZT1qzoaqio1.mp3[/mp3]