Fisher: With Donald on D-line, Rams will 'be hard to deal with/FSMW

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher: With Donald joining D-line, Rams will 'be hard to deal with' up front
By Nate Latsch

http://msn.foxsports.com/midwest/st...ams-will-be-hard-to-deal-with-up-front-060914

Jeff Fisher isn't afraid to heap praise on rookie defensive tackle Aaron Donald, even though it's been only a few weeks since the NFL Draft and not even one full week since the start of Rams OTAs.

"Aaron Donald, our second first-round pick, is going to be a difference-maker inside," Fisher told NFL Network during an interview last week. "It's what we need. We've got such tremendous talent at the defensive end position, now with Aaron in there (at defensive tackle), with Mike Brockers and Kendall (Langford), we've got a solid front. We're going to be hard to deal with, I think, from a front standpoint."

The veteran NFL coach, who is entering his third season with the Rams, wasn't finished with his praise of his new defensive tackle.

"We sat there, going into the draft at 2 and 13, thinking, 'OK, who's going to maybe be there at 13?' There's really no way we thought Aaron would fall. He fell," Fisher told the network. "... We can use his special traits. He's an outstanding young man, very, very talented. Way ahead as far as pass rush is concerned with his hand use and things. He's going to be an explosive, dynamic player for us."

That's extremely high praise for a 22-year-old who has yet to make his NFL debut, but it's not like Donald came out of nowhere. He'll need to use a chunk of his signing bonus on a trophy case to hold all of his awards from his senior season at Pitt.

-- Bronko Nagurski Trophy for nation's most outstanding defensive player.

-- Chuck Bedarik Award for national defensive player of the year.

-- Outland Trophy as nation's best offensive or defensive interior lineman.

-- Rotary Lombardi Award for nation's most outstanding lineman or linebacker.

He also was selected the national defensive player of the year by Athlon Sports, CBSSports.com and Lindy's Sports and an All-American by just about every outlet you can think of.

But Donald isn't resting on his laurels, however impressive they may be. He's been attacking his craft during OTAs just like he attacked opposing quarterbacks at Pitt.

"I've been learning a lot from the older guys," Donald told reporters following the Rams' third OTA session on Friday. "I feel like it'll be really beneficial."

The 6-foot-1, 290-pounder -- he said he's up five pounds from his listed weight of 285 last season with the Panthers -- is getting used to the competition at the NFL level and doing whatever he can to try to fit in and get better.

"You've got to step your game up," Donald said. "I've been watching (Michael) Brockers nonstop on film, been watching (Robert) Quinn. They're all making plays."

If the rookie defensive tackle can make plays like Brockers and Quinn, who led the NFC with 19 sacks in 2013, then the quarterbacks of the NFC West -- we're looking at you, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick and Carson Palmer -- will have another reason to be fearful of the Rams.

Donald joins a defensive unit that ranked third in the NFL last season in sacks (53), ninth in fewest rushing yards allowed per game (102.9), 14th in fewest passing yards allowed per game (242.1), 18th in fewest total yards per game (345.0) and 20th in fewest points per game (22.8). The addition of Donald and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams figures to make that unit even stronger.

"Well, we have to be good," Fisher told reporters last week. "We have to be very good to compete in the division, and I think we've got a chance to do that. We're still going to bring some young guys along, but (we're) going to be impressive up front, particularly because of what the guys were able to do the last couple of years."

Based on the D-line's past performance and what Fisher already has seen of Donald, being "impressive up front" seems quite likely.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Gotta temper expectations though and remember AD is a rookie,I think he's the deal for sure , but I know with all this hype he's got to fall short of some peoples expectations

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I also think we're going to see more rotating than usual on that DL so Donald's snap counts as a rookie may be lower than some expect.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta temper expectations though and remember AD is a rookie,I think he's the deal for sure , but I know with all this hype he's got to fall short of some peoples expectations
Anything less then Warren Sapp's career highs will be unacceptable
Lol

jjab360

Legend
If there was ever a time to buy into the hype, this is it. People might have gotten too excited over Tavon and Tavon was a freak too, but he was raw, and this kid is ridiculously polished. I've seen almost every snap he played last year and the amount of moves this kid has is insane, he's a genius with his technique and body control, I've honestly never seen anything like it with a pass rusher this young. Add on the insane measurables and crazy work ethic and this kid is going to be a superstar, I guarantee it.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Yeah, plus he will be splitting time with Langford. I would assume that Langford would get more snaps than Donald this year, so I don't think you will see eye-popping stats from #99. What I envision is AD getting better as the year goes along and then making some real impact plays towards the end of the season. We are really going to be able to wear some teams down with the rotation we have, especially late in the year (barring a lot of injuries).

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'll temper expectations a little since he is a rookie and will be splitting time with Langford. But I won't be surprised if his development comes along a quicker than most at his position, given that he's got exceptional skills for someone just coming into the league and he's going to be playing alongside some very talented lineman.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If he get's 8 sacks think of all the pressures that will represent,I am as sold on this kid as you are jab ,but he's going against WAY better competition this year than he's ever seen.

jjab360

Legend
If he get's 8 sacks think of all the pressures that will represent,I am as sold on this kid as you are jab ,but he's going against WAY better competition this year than he's ever seen.
True but just look at what he did against the best seniors in the nation at the Senior Bowl. Truly eye opening film review, amazing stuff.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multim...n-Donald/0acf3108-1f4d-4d2b-b225-0003fea939ad

PFF graded the game (they seem to have pretty consistent rankings for pass rushers) and Donald was graded at +6.8 in 33 snaps. The next highest grade on either team, offense or defense, was OL Zack Martin with a +2.8 grade. :eek:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/27/refo-north-vs-south-2014-senior-bowl/2/

If this kid doesn't become a special player (barring injury), I will hang up my amateur rams forum draftnik cap forever.

FRO

Legend
I'm as big of Donald fan as there is, but you are right. Rookies take time. Luckily for him and us we have Langford who is a solid starter and Carrington who has started before. Meaning we can pick and choose situations where Donald can come in and dominate. We can use him like the 49ers used Aldon Smith his rookie year.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
I'm on this bandwagon. I said he will be more impressive than Clowney and I still stand by that assessment. Pure physical talent can make you look good in college but hey, this is the pros. You better have the total package if you want to make it to the top of the list. Ok, remind me after the season and I'll chew on the old crow. I've eaten worse but I had a few beers and, uh, let's not go there.

FRO

Legend
Donald couldn't have gone to a better place. He is the perfect fit for us and we are the perfect fit for him. He and Brocker's games compliment each other very well. Plus we have great DEs, so Donald will see a lot of single blocking, which he can beat regularly.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I think one of the things that will help both sides of the game for the Rams is the talent we are stock piling who will be challenging each other day in and day out at Rams park. The difference in the last 3 years has been great to watch and I'm sorry but I think I well passed tempering my excitement. Even without Bradford last year it was fun to see these guys growing 2014 is going to be eye opening for people not watching the Rams.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I also think we're going to see more rotating than usual on that DL so Donald's snap counts as a rookie may be lower than some expect.

Yeah, I agree it will start that way. But I really think this guy is going to catch on quick and be difficult to take off the field by mid-season. He's such a great combo of talent, intelligence, and nasty attitude! It's not like Fisher to talk up a rookie this much. "He's going to be an explosive, dynamic player for us."

A more typical Fish understatement, "We're going to be hard to deal with, I think, from a front standpoint." ... that's more like it

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Oldrock I am with you. I firmly believe Donald will be better then Clowney this year. Getting Donald will prove to be the turning point for the Rams. It just opens up so many things on defense. Greg Williams' heart must have been pumping of the charts as the Vikings, Lions, Titans, and then the Giants passed on him. Heck I went nuts when the Giants passed on him and I had to still wonder if the Rams were going to draft him.