Fisher turned down late first round pick for Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Makes sense. I assumed we would have been offered 1st for him given Kelly's comments yesterday, but as Snead said in the presser today: you can't get rid of Sam if you don't have a viable replacement. What replacement would a late 1st round pick have gotten us? Certainly no-one that could start this year.

The trade we took was probably the right one. Having Both Foles and another 2nd next year if preferable to a late first this year in my books.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And further proof that guys like me, who thought Sam had no trade value, were major league wrong

V3

Hall of Fame
I actually believe this. It would be decent value for Bradford but it still doesn't solve the QB problem. And I doubt they'd be able to use that pick to move up high enough to get the QB they liked.

FRO

Legend
It's pretty clear why Sam wasn't willing to take a pay cut. He was in demand. Makes you wonder what we just traded away when teams were willing to give up so much for a guy coming off 2 knee injuries.

Also a lot in the media called Chip a liar when he said he was offered a first round pick for Bradford. Some apologies may be in order.

jjab360

Legend
Snead explained in the press conference that they weren't going to get rid of Bradford if they weren't getting another capable QB in return.

BelgianRam

UDFA
Name
Timoty
Snead explained in the press conference that they weren't going to get rid of Bradford if they weren't getting another capable QB in return.

What is this world coming to: the gm of the rams is actually making sense

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Snead played his hand beautifully, no way in hell did I ever think we'd ever get that good of an offer, no way their was anyone else that tops this deal no way no how.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We would have had to trade #10 and a late first rounder, plus probably a first rounder next year just to move up and take a guy with question marks in this draft.

I'll take the proven guy in Foles over an unknown.

FRO

Legend
We would have had to trade #10 and a late first rounder, plus probably a first rounder next year just to move up and take a guy with question marks in this draft.

I'll take the proven guy in Foles over an unknown.
Foles isn't really established and proven either. I would rather have gone this route than mortgage the future on a rookie, but Foles does have some proving to do.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Chip said he was offered a 1st round pick, after he acquired Bradford in addition.

Shaun, the Pats do make sense to me. Sam seems like a prototype QB for that system in every way, including being the face of their franchise.

FRO

Legend
Highly doubt it was the Pats. No way would they backup more than Brady. They got rid of a bunch of guys due to money.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And further proof that guys like me, who thought Sam had no trade value, were major league wrong

I think this whole set of circumstances has proven that the fans who blamed everything but Bradford were correct, to a certain extent.

Obviously Bradford didn't have the numbers. It's difficult for fans to see much past that, even with the all 22, because we're not scouts.

But if multiple teams were willing to give up a 1st round pick, or equivalent, for Sam when he sustained back to back ACL tears - they think he's pretty good. And their opinions carry much more weight than fans.

And for the record, I didn't think he had any trade value either.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Me too. I know that if I was a GM I would not have wanted him at his current deal. That is too much for a guy who has had so many injuries and coming off a major one. At least some of the QB needy GMs agreed with us.

I wonder if the Rams asking Sam to renegotiate his contract angered him and when told to find a trade partner he did, and told them he would renegotiate. Either way I am happy to be out of injury limbo hell. The preseason game against the Browns was such a crushing blow to my hopes for the team. I don't want to go into another season just waiting, expecting our QB to go down.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Highly doubt it was the Pats. No way would they backup more than Brady. They got rid of a bunch of guys due to money.

One guy somewhere here said that it was the Broncos and they wanted him to backup Peyton and give Sam more time to get healthy and then be a starter next year. Makes sense I guess.

I think Sam is gullible though, because he was very happy to end up in Philly with Chip Kelly. Kelly must have convinced him good. Thing is that offense really exposes the QB to hits.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Me too. I know that if I was a GM I would not have wanted him at his current deal. That is too much for a guy who has had so many injuries and coming off a major one. At least some of the QB needy GMs agreed with us.

I wonder if the Rams asking Sam to renegotiate his contract angered him and when told to find a trade partner he did, and told them he would renegotiate. Either way I am happy to be out of injury limbo hell. The preseason game against the Browns was such a crushing blow to my hopes for the team. I don't want to go into another season just waiting, expecting our QB to go down.
"Never underestimate the value of potential in the QB driven league" is the lesson learned here IMO.
I believe that Fisher wanted it to work with Sam, and I also think he's pretty pumped to get a QB of the caliber of Foles to build around.
And true to form, given the extra cap money, he puts it right in to the defense.
So whether who was right or wrong about Bradford doesnt matter, that will come out in the wash next year and thereafter. The great news for us is that we get to find out.
I'm pumped for next season, and havent felt that way in a long time. So to me, its a win win

WestCoastRam

Legend

Dude, I don't think you were wrong, per se, in any other year his trade value would be quite different. I think it speaks to how horrible this draft class is at QB. I think we're all greatly overestimating beyond Mariota and Winston how capable any of these other QBs are... who wants to give a guess that after Mariota and Winston go we don't see another QB selected till the 3rd day!

WestCoastRam

Legend
And, if you believe reports that Schneider in Seattle only has 16 1st round grades for this draft, and let's say the Rams agree, you'd basically be trading Sam for a 2nd round draft pick then if the pick was after 16...

Not all drafts are created equal. Not all picks are created equal.