Fisher not worried about holes on O-line/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher not worried about holes on O-line
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_75c439b2-b536-5590-b336-e60c7727e6e5.html

One month ago at the NFL owners meetings, coach Jeff Fisher said he was not alarmed over the state of the Rams’ offensive line.

Thirty-four days later, the only thing that’s changed is that potential free-agent pickup Stefen Wisniewski, a center, has signed with Jacksonville. So less than two days before the draft, the Rams still don’t have a clear-cut starting center, a starting right guard or starting right tackle.

Still not concerned about that O-line, coach?

“I feel good about it,” Fisher said Tuesday at the annual tap-dancing show otherwise known as the Rams’ pre-draft news conference. “I feel good about the direction we’re headed. And I’ll feel much better when the weekend’s over. But I feel good about it. We have options. And there’s still (free-agent) options out there.”

Joe Barksdale is one. The Rams’ starting right tackle the past two seasons remains unsigned on the free-agent market. Fisher said the Rams remain interested in re-signing Barksdale and are in “constant communication” with him.

Fisher said he didn’t know why Barksdale’s contract status remains unresolved, be it re-signing with the Rams or signing elsewhere.

“Things may not have worked out for them from the perspective of what they thought was gonna happen,” he said.

Translation: Barksdale hasn’t received an offer anywhere near what he is hoping for.

“But we have interest in Joe because he played some good football for us,” Fisher said.

Another offensive lineman whom the Rams have talked about remains available as well in free agency: veteran guard Justin Blalock of the Atlanta Falcons.

If the Rams re-sign Barksdale, sign Blalock then draft a couple of offensive linemen in the opening three rounds —preferably one in the first round — all of a sudden what looks like a dire offensive-line picture looks settled.

Fisher added: “We’ve got some good young players on our roster, that you’ve not seen play or haven’t played very much. But we’re developing players currently on our roster. So we feel good about it.”

Such as the three center candidates on the roster: former fourth-round pick Barrett Jones, Tim Barnes (who started four games in 2013), and 2014 seventh-round draft pick Demetrius Rhaney. One of those might be the team’s starting center in 2015.

The Rams left no stone unturned in terms of their pre-draft research on the offensive line, including bringing in a dozen college blockers among their confirmed total of 22 visits to Rams Park.

Perhaps fittingly, general manager Les Snead believes there’s plenty to choose from there this year.

“We felt early on in the process there were some quality offensive linemen in this draft,” Snead said. “Now you can rate the quality, depending on whether it’s an A guy, B guy, whatever it is. But we thought there’s a lot of linemen that could help any football team. So that was a little bit of a guidepost as we went into the offseason.”

As is often the case at these pre-draft media sessions, the dialogue could best be summed up as vague, sprinkled with generalities.

Such as ...

“We have some options (at No. 10),” Fisher said. “So I could see us taking just about any position.”

Even at edge rusher, where defensive ends/outside linebackers Shane Ray of Missouri and Randy Gregory of Nebraska suddenly could be available when the Rams pick because of drug-related issues.

“It’s very possible, yes,” Fisher said, smiling. “We like defensive players here; good defensive players here. Can’t get enough.”

And could the Rams find a way to get said pass rusher on the field in Week 1 on a roster loaded with pass rushers?

“Yes we would,” Fisher said, still smiling. “Week 1.”

On the subject of quarterback, Fisher seemed to back down some from his owners meeting comment that the Rams planned to draft a QB.

“It really depends on how things unfold,” Fisher said Tuesday. “Aside from the top two (Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota), which I think everyone assumes will be gone, there’s some (quarterbacks) in this draft that can come in and help you.

“But we’re very excited about what we’ve seen here the last week and half with Nick (Foles), and what he’s done in the offseason program. I think we’re better at the position.”

The latter part of Fisher’s response was interesting, a seeming endorsement of Foles over Sam Bradford.

“We’re healthy right now and there’s some good things ahead as far as that’s concerned,” Fisher continued, on the quarterback topic. “But it doesn’t mean to say there’s not a guy at a certain point that we like (in the draft) that we can’t pass up.”

Snead said the Rams’ draft board is basically set. It’s all about fine-tuning and going over scenarios at this point.

“Les’ staff has done a great job to this point,” Fisher said. “We started a little bit early, earlier than we have in the past. So we’ve taken some quality time putting it together.

“There’s still some things that we need to look at. Some minor adjustments we need to make.”

Fisher compared that to what transpires on Friday of a typical game week during the season.

“The game plan’s in, you’re prepared to play,” he said.

Snead said the phone calls with other teams have started, but there’s nothing serious at this point.

“I think I mentioned it last year, we’re at the flirting stage of just chatting with other GMs,” Snead said. “You kinda try to figure out what each is gonna do.”

WestCoastRam

Legend
So, if you buy what Fisher's saying, sounds like their contract to Barksdale is on the table. The only reason I can think that Barksdale hasn't taken it is cause they feel they can role the dice and see if a team misses on some tackles in the draft and he can get a little more money. Dude should fire his agent.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Do we really expect Fish to say, "yeah, I can't sleep at night because I'm worried about the OL"? C'mon...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the key quote was regarding how he'd feel better after what they do this weekend, not to mention Snead's comment that the quality of OL in this draft was a guidepost in their decision making. Translation there is they prefer the drafted talents moving forward to old guys who can't play.

I applaud that. Just hope they hit on the picks with guys who can play sooner rather than later.

MFaulk107

The Realness
Do we really expect Fish to say, "yeah, I can't sleep at night because I'm worried about the OL"? C'mon...
Exactly what I was thinking.
I like Jeff a lot, but that guy is a master of the "smokescreen" technique

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
This is a good point, but the art of spin includes acknowledging and dealing with the elephant in the room, not ignoring it. Otherwise the risk is coming away looking like a clueless pollyanna or just plain disconnected from reality. I don't think Fisher is appearing that way, but he's risking bordering on it. So when asked if concerned about the o-line, instead of "I feel good", I would rather hear things like:

"Our offense relies on a strong o-line, it's our number one priority, and we're going to keep working hard to put a great unit on the field".

or

"Of course, there's always some concern, but not in our search for adding even more talent, but concern that it takes time for so many new faces on a line to jell. So after we add more top-notch talent, our focus is on the bigger more important issue of getting 5 guys, whoever they may be, working together as one elite unit."

and yes, even "You're damn right I can't sleep at night"... coupled with "Some Rams fans are probably losing sleep at night, too, over it. I get it. But this is my passion, I always lose sleep because we work 24/7 at it, and I'm driven and 100% committed to put an elite o-line unit on that field."

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This is a good point, but the art of spin includes acknowledging and dealing with the elephant in the room, not ignoring it. Otherwise the risk is coming away looking like a clueless pollyanna or just plain disconnected from reality. I don't think Fisher is appearing that way, but he's risking bordering on it. So when asked if concerned about the o-line, instead of "I feel good", I would rather hear things like:

"Our offense relies on a strong o-line, it's our number one priority, and we're going to keep working hard to put a great unit on the field".

or

"Of course, there's always some concern, but not in our search for adding even more talent, but concern that it takes time for so many new faces on a line to jell. So after we add more top-notch talent, our focus is on the bigger more important issue of getting 5 guys, whoever they may be, working together as one elite unit."

and yes, even "You're damn right I can't sleep at night"... coupled with "Some Rams fans are probably losing sleep at night, too, over it. I get it. But this is my passion, I always lose sleep because we work 24/7 at it, and I'm driven and 100% committed to put an elite o-line unit on that field."

I get the stress, I do but I think Fisher is probably a pretty good poker player. He's playing 5 card draw. It looks like he is taking three with this hand. But of course, he's not letting you know he may be holding a pair of Aces in the hole. :sneaky:

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Given the persistent comments about possibly drafting d-line, I'd fully expect him to say something like this.

The smoke is so thick, you'd think Stu had a fat hog cooking out back.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Fisher added: “We’ve got some good young players on our roster, that you’ve not seen play or haven’t played very much. But we’re developing players currently on our roster. So we feel good about it.”

Signing a Free Agent is a two-way street. The free agents have to reciprocate the interest or nothing comes of it. Money is often the catalyst to entice interest. I for one am glad the Rams have not overspent.

The Fans and Media are working on a lot of assumptions. Aside from Robinson and Saffold, many seem to assume that none the remaining 7 guys the Rams currently have on the roster are worthy of being starters. On the outside looking in we really know little about the rest of this group and how the Rams brain trust feels about them. If just one of these guys can prove worthy of being a durable starter then that is one less question to be answered and if they have two then that is big bonus.

A list of the Unknown 7:
Garrett Reynolds Height: 6-7 Weight: 305 Age: 27:
He is a 6 year vet with 23 starts out of 43 games played. He was a 5th round pick by the Falcons in 2009 while Snead was their director of player personnel and he was coached by Boudreau for his first 3 years in Atlanta. I think most fans consider him more of utility guy than a front line starter but the history with Boudreau suggests he could be viewed as potential starter at either guard or tackle if the Rams come up empty with other alternatives.

Barrett Jones Height: 6-4 Weight: 308 Age: 24:
He was drafted in the 4th round of the 2012 draft to play center but he is versatile enough to play tackle in a pinch. In his two years with the Rams he has logged 10 games with 0 starts. There has probably been enough discussion on Jones in in Rams cyberspace to fill the pages of a novel but for Rams fans he is still basically a mystery wrapped in an enigma. He has the college pedigree and by many accounts he is above average in football intelligence but he also has to prove he has the durability and strength to hold up in the NFL. I expect Jones to at least be in the competition for either a starting guard or center spot.

Demetrius Rhaney 6-2 Weight: 301 Age: 22:
He is another player that has received his fair share of cyber discussions. Even though he was only a 7th rounder, Rhaney was acquitting himself quite well (by most accounts) before bowing out with a severe bone bruise in his knee. Reports are that the MRI done on Rhaney's knee did not show any ligament or cartilage damage. I expect him to be a serious contender for the starting job at center (IMO his lack of size will limit him more to center).

Tim Barnes 6-4 Weight: 306 Age: 26:
Originally an undrafted free agent in 2011 he has been active for 45 games with only 4 starts. Compared with Jones and Rhaney he is the grizzled vet of the center group so he could be penciled in initially as the starting center. In 2013 he played at a competent level at times when pressed into duty although it seemed to me he got pushed around badly by Seattle's front in the 2013 season finale. Much of his 2014 season was marred by various nagging injuries. This offseason he signed a one-year, $710,000 contract. The deal included a $50,000 signing bonus and another $290,000 is available through incentives

Brandon Washington 6-2 Weight: 318 Age: 26:
Washington has been with the Rams since 2012 when he was added to the Rams practice squad during early midseason. During that time he has only logged 1 game when he saw playing time in the 2013 season finale against Seattle. He was originally a 7th round pick by the Eagles in 2013. At 6-2 with 33 inch arms he is better suited to play inside although he played some tackle in the 2014 preseason and seemed to hold is his own. The Rams must see something in to have kept him around for two and a half seasons so maybe he fits into their plans more than we may know. Hopefully he can compete for the LG spot with Jones and maybe even Barnes, allowing Saffold to move back to RG.

Travis Bond 6-6 Weight: 330 Age: 24:
He was originally a7th round pick of the Vikings in 2013 but was cut and picked up by the Panthers where he only logged two games (never started). He was in the Rams 2014 training but did not make the final cut. He was added to the Rams practice squad on 10/29/14 and added to the offseason roster on 12/30/14. With 35.5" arms he has excellent size to be either a guard or right tackle but his limited foot quickness means he is probably a better fit at guard. Bond saw limited action for the Rams in the 2014 preseason and at times he seemed to hold his own. (Note: From what little I saw he was much better at guard than tackle in the 2014 preseason)

Steven Baker Height: 6-8 Weight: 310 Age: 26:
Along with Bond, he was a practice squad addition in late October and then he was signed to a reserve future contract this offseason. At 6' 8" and 310 lbs he is strictly a tackle. Interestingly he ran a 4.9 40 at his pro day and he is considered to have pretty good agility for man of his height but otherwise there is very little intel on him at this point. Before being signed by the Rams, Baker was in the Dolphins camp. Prior to that he was with the New York Giants, where he spent the 2013 season bouncing on and off the team's practice squad. He was briefly in the Kansas City Chiefs training camp prior to the 2013 season. He originally entered the NFL out of East Carolina as an undrafted free agent, signing with the Indianapolis Colts in 2012. After being released at the end of that year's training camp, Baker spent the 2012 season on the Arizona Cardinals' practice squad.

fearsomefour

Legend
So, if you buy what Fisher's saying, sounds like their contract to Barksdale is on the table. The only reason I can think that Barksdale hasn't taken it is cause they feel they can role the dice and see if a team misses on some tackles in the draft and he can get a little more money. Dude should fire his agent.
If the offer is there and it is lower than he wanted (clearly it is) he really has nothing to lose by waiting.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
So... we're clearly picking D-Line or another Defensive player in round 1.

Hahahahahahahahaaaaaa

…..

Legend
Fisher has balls of granite to be able to sit there and seriously say he is not worried about the offensive line.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, they sign Barksdale - at best, he's an average lineman IMO.
So, they sign Blalock - 31 year old coming off an injury... sound familiar?
Thee unknown quantities at C
And some rookies

Solid starting line-up?
Solid depth?

We'll see...

Fisher may not be concerned, but I am.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Fisher's not worried...OKAY

I'll add Peat to my preferred list, still far behind Flowers....a lil behind Donovan Smith....Ahead of all the other draftees...and WAY ahead of Joe Barksdale...sorry Barks, I know how you feel lowballed will definitely affect your play in 2015....

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
A list of the Unknown 7 ...
Wow, love the list, thanks for all the info! But I have to question if they are really "unknowns"?

I'd say Reynolds is a very known quantity at this point, and if he's starting on our line, it's not a great sign. We know about the injuries to B.Jones and Rhaney. We saw Barnes' cup of coffee. We know the others bounced around the league and practice squads... That might tell enough about them for some people.

The only true "unknown" is what magic Coach Bou can do or how they might perform when finally given a chance on the big stage... But is this truly an "unknown", or wishful thinking? I want to be positive and drink the kool aid but I can't help but be realistic about the situation.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Steven Baker Height: 6-8 Weight: 310 Age: 26:
Along with Bond, he was a practice squad addition in late October and then he was signed to a reserve future contract this offseason. At 6' 8" and 310 lbs he is strictly a tackle. Interestingly he ran a 4.9 40 at his pro day and he is considered to have pretty good agility for man of his height but otherwise there is very little intel on him at this point. Before being signed by the Rams, Baker was in the Dolphins camp. Prior to that he was with the New York Giants, where he spent the 2013 season bouncing on and off the team's practice squad. He was briefly in the Kansas City Chiefs training camp prior to the 2013 season. He originally entered the NFL out of East Carolina as an undrafted free agent, signing with the Indianapolis Colts in 2012. After being released at the end of that year's training camp, Baker spent the 2012 season on the Arizona Cardinals' practice squad.
I didn't know about Baker, missed his signing, interesting.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Yah, Iupati an Franklin can't play. (Blue text)
Real confidence inspiring when Fisher says he's not worried about the OL, and that they can draft any position with the #10 pick (Ie no OL) and how they can't have to many defensive players, but screw the offense.
Unfreaking-believable.