Fisher, Cook clear air on 'we got outcoached' comments/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher, Cook clear air on 'we got outcoached' comments
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_164e4dba-ab37-5819-847e-27a0d7cc8ccb.html

It’s not all that unusual for an NFL coach to say, “I need to coach better” or “we need to coach better” after a tough defeat.

But for a player to say, “We got out-coached”? Well, you don’t hear that too often.

So it fell into the category of the expected when coach Jeff Fisher said Friday that he met with tight end Jared Cook to discuss remarks made after Thursday’s 12-6 loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

“We got outplayed, we got outcoached, and we just put a bad display out there,” a dejected Cook said after the game.

At the time, Cook was surrounded by maybe a dozen reporters at his locker stall, and that comment got everyone’s attention. When asked if he cared to elaborate on the “outcoached” part of his response, Cook replied:

“Not really. It’s pretty self-explanatory. We got outplayed and outcoached. All we put up was six points and didn’t get in the (end zone) not once tonight. That’s a pretty unsuccessful night if you ask me.”

So what was Cook talking about?

“I know exactly what he was talking about,” Fisher said. “We discussed it, and I think if he had to do it all over again, he wouldn’t have gone there from the ‘outcoached’ standpoint.

“It’s not really what he meant as far as our discussion, communication this morning. It was kind of a one-fell-swoop: ‘Hey, we just got beat’ and included it all. He wasn’t being critical of coaching.”

So Fisher didn’t take Cook’s comments personally?

“We discussed it, and we’re fine,” Fisher said.

That wasn’t the only out-of-the-ordinary situation Fisher faced on the topic of postgame comments.

Namely, Arizona coach Bruce Arians took a couple of jabs at Fisher’s won-loss record, as well as the Rams’ defense while basking in the thrill of victory.

“Everybody wanted to say how great their defense is, but I think they saw a good defense tonight, and it was in red and white,” Arians said after the game. “I am very proud of our guys.”

Arians also said: “I love it when nobody says that you will have a chance to win. There is an 11-3 team, and a team that is always 8-8. You figure it out.”

Arizona was the underdog entering the game even though the Cardinals had an 10-3 record at the time, compared to the Rams’ 6-7. As for the 8-8 reference, well, Fisher had five squads finish 8-8 during his long tenure as head coach of the Houston Oilers and Tennessee Titans.

Fisher said he was aware of Arians’ comments.

“When the game was over, I went over and congratulated him on the win,” Fisher said, referring to the customary postgame handshake on the field. “I told him that I hoped his quarterback was going to be OK.”

Drew Stanton suffered a third-quarter knee injury, and his status is uncertain for the remainder of the regular season.

“The last thing I said to him was, ‘Why don’t you go win a couple playoff games for the division? Good luck,’” Fisher said. “That’s all I said to him. I have no comments on his comments.”

Arians’ thoughts notwithstanding, Fisher liked the play of the Rams’ defense Thursday night.

He would’ve liked coordinator Gregg Williams’ unit to have come up with a turnover or two — and it came close on several occasions. And the run defense certainly could’ve been better.

But as Fisher pointed out: “We’ve gone 12 quarters without giving up a touchdown now. In particular, the sudden change after the unfortunate turnover, the defense went out there and held them to 3. That’s the mark of a good defense early in the game.”

Fisher was referring to the lost fumble by running back Tre Mason on the Rams’ second possession of the game. Arizona took over at the Rams’ 27 but managed only a field goal.

The Rams lost the turnover battle 2-0 Thursday night, although the second came on a desperation heave by Shaun Hill that was intercepted by Arizona on the final play of the game.

It marked the first time the Rams were in the minus category in takeaway-giveaway differential in a game since the first Arizona contest Nov. 9. It marked the first time the Rams went without a takeaway in a game since their 28-26 victory over Seattle on Oct. 19 in Game 6.

The Rams had three good-to-excellent chances for a takeaway Thursday, all involving cornerback Janoris Jenkins.

In the second quarter, Jenkins leaped in front of a short sideline pass from Stanton intended for Michael Floyd and had both hands on the ball but couldn’t hang on. That one possibly could have been returned for a touchdown had Jenkins come up with the interception.

On a third-quarter pass thrown over the middle by Stanton replacement Ryan Lindley, Jenkins originally was credited with an interception on a diving play. All turnovers are subject to replay review, and the initial call of interception was changed to incomplete after the review because the ball squirted out.

In the fourth quarter, Jenkins forced a fumble on a 1-yard run by Kerwynn Williams, but Jenkins couldn’t grab the loose football. Cardinals left tackle Jared Veldheer got there first.

“The difference in this game was a play here or there,” Fisher said. “One of those takeaways, or a big pass. ... That’s what it came down to.”

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
“The difference in this game was a play here or there,” Fisher said. “One of those takeaways, or a big pass. ... That’s what it came down to.”

That and not using your best short yardage back on third or fourth and short. :confused:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Fisher took the high road. Good for him. I'll tell you one thing, Arian's comments will be bulletin board material next season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher took the high road. Good for him. I'll tell you one thing, Arian's comments will be bulletin board material next season.

I love that kind of stuff. Bring on that kind of rivalry, makes the games even more enjoyable.

Oh and btw I think Arians was pi$$ed at Fisher about his QB getting injured. No way that's not personal when you lose a QB in two divisional matchups, particularly when the injury to Stanton might really hurt them down the stretch or in the playoffs.

Stanton did a great job in that game, if he misses time that's a big blow to the Cards.

jap

Legend
I love that kind of stuff. Bring on that kind of rivalry, makes the games even more enjoyable.

Oh and btw I think Arians was pi$$ed at Fisher about his QB getting injured. No way that's not personal when you lose a QB in two divisional matchups, particularly when the injury to Stanton might really hurt them down the stretch or in the playoffs.

Stanton did a great job in that game, if he misses time that's a big blow to the Cards.

Screw Arians if that is what he thinks. If the Rams appear to have intentionally hurt Stanton (they didn't!!!) then he would have a justifiable beef. However, Palmer's injury looked very awkward, similar to some of Sam's injuries. Stanton just went down hard with our prize rookie DT.

This is the Rams: we buried the Cards last year when they were 4-0 with 8 or 9 sacks. This is how we roll on defense. Don't give me any of this cry baby crap. It's Arians' job to beef up his OL with guys to protect his QB's just as it is our job to protect Sam and his understudies. I have been hard on the Rams' coaching brass for not doing an adequate job of protecting Sam since he was drafted. All of the NFC West teams have good to great D's. Everyone has to protect their QB's. Stop crying and do your job properly!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Screw Arians if that is what he thinks. If the Rams appear to have intentionally hurt Stanton (they didn't!!!) then he would have a justifiable beef. However, Palmer's injury looked very awkward, similar to some of Sam's injuries. Stanton just went down hard with our prize rookie DT.

This is the Rams: we buried the Cards last year when they were 4-0 with 8 or 9 sacks. This is how we roll on defense. Don't give me any of this cry baby crap. It's Arians' job to beef up his OL with guys to protect his QB's just as it is our job to protect Sam and his understudies. I have been hard on the Rams' coaching brass for not doing an adequate job of protecting Sam since he was drafted. All of the NFC West teams have good to great D's. Everyone has to protect their QB's. Stop crying and do your job properly!

Eh, I'm over the rant now.

In fact, I find it pretty funny that he was the one taking those media comments up the ass. Our players will make him eat those words next season, especially if they don't address their QB situation beyond Palmer.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Meh. Cook used a blanket statement. He wasn't calling the coaches out and there is no reason any of them should take it that way unless they also feel they were at fault. He listed the players first anyway. I guess a player can't voice anything in frustration.

As to Arians' comments? Fuck him. Also ran muthuh fuckuh.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Is the problem that he stated the obvious?
Oh you mean that he was an idiot ? The players screwed the pooch on more than enough plays that were called for them to win the game ,that's "obvious" , so not only did Cook let his mouth overload his ass, he wasn't accurate,JMO more of the same guy who shoved Davis on the sideline.

Arian's comments ............... not that much different than Fishers about the Rojoderm , there is a culture of crappy sportsmanship among the people paid the best in sports today , those who expect these guys to be role models are fooling themselves .
THEY need to go watch the real people with class they are coaching and playing in HS all across America .

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
No that we were out coached and out played.
And so you are of the mistaken impression that the lack of execution the players were guilty of would not have accounted for 7 points ?
HELL COOK ALONE , played bad enough to have it hung on him alone . The plays that were called executed properly would have won that game , Hills off target throws were enough, ,the o-line poor play.
It's easy to blame coaches , unless I'm wrong , every play they called had a pre snap read that would allow Hill to change the play.
You can call the perfect plays unless the guys on the field do it right , yer screwed.

And so you are of the mistaken impression that the lack of execution the players were guilty of would not have accounted for 7 points ?
HELL COOK ALONE , played bad enough to have it hung on him alone . The plays that were called executed properly would have won that game , Hills off target throws were enough, ,the o-line poor play.
It's easy to blame coaches , unless I'm wrong , every play they called had a pre snap read that would allow Hill to change the play.
You can call the perfect plays unless the guys on the field do it right , yer screwed.

That's why I said "out coached and out played" rather than "out coached but not out played".

V3

Hall of Fame
If Cook and other players feel strongly about a coach, I have no problem with them speaking the truth. I'm not a fan of protecting people that can't do their job well.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
If Cook and other players feel strongly about a coach, I have no problem with them speaking the truth. I'm not a fan of protecting people that can't do their job well.
Except of course there is a difference between impression and "truth" . Coaches are people whose job it is to put players in position to execute and to evaluate their play , players job is far more narrow , they are charged with executing a role within a whole that they may not even know the role of more than two or three of the other 10 players on the field. They are poorly qualified to evaluate coaching especially in an emotional moment .
His "truth" fits with your impression so you term it the truth.
Which coach told the players to turn the ball over twice ? One of those , Mason's fumble, lead to three points which they easily could have scored from that very spot. So that reduces the differential to 3 . OBTW he was headed for one hell of a gain IIRC on that play and it was on our second possession ,he dove for the ball after he was stripped but there was a gaping hole he was running through.
The play before our first FG Hill audibles out of a pass rather than throwing into a blitz and we settled for a FG from the six and Mason ran straight into it,think the coaches told him to do that? Player decisions both.
Which coach told Hill to throw the ball to Patrick Peterson ?

I give the AZ coaches credit and ours for a push. The difference was execution,their d-line outplayed ours among other things , we SAW that, we didn't hear any of the calls ,to say we were out coached it must then elevate the speakers alternative to superior status and assumes they would have been executed by the same players .
Their players made two less vital mistakes ,that is a statistic, that is undeniable, that is a truth. The rest is impression.

Here's the thing to say we were out coached in a game that close to accept that I need specific examples where clear cut mistakes like those I sighted about the execution ,you know, like throwing a challenge flag and being penalized for it by losing a time out ,which of our coaches did that ?

V3

Hall of Fame
Except of course there is a difference between impression and "truth" . Coaches are people whose job it is to put players in position to execute and to evaluate their play , players job is far more narrow , they are charged with executing a role within a whole that they may not even know the role of more than two or three of the other 10 players on the field. They are poorly qualified to evaluate coaching especially in an emotional moment .
His "truth" fits with your impression so you term it the truth.
Which coach told the players to turn the ball over twice ? One of those , Mason's fumble, lead to three points which they easily could have scored from that very spot. So that reduces the differential to 3 . OBTW he was headed for one hell of a gain IIRC on that play and it was on our second possession ,he dove for the ball after he was stripped but there was a gaping hole he was running through.
The play before our first FG Hill audibles out of a pass rather than throwing into a blitz and we settled for a FG from the six and Mason ran straight into it,think the coaches told him to do that? Player decisions both.
Which coach told Hill to throw the ball to Patrick Peterson ?

I give the AZ coaches credit and ours for a push. The difference was execution,their d-line outplayed ours among other things , we SAW that, we didn't hear any of the calls ,to say we were out coached it must then elevate the speakers alternative to superior status and assumes they would have been executed by the same players .
Their players made two less vital mistakes ,that is a statistic, that is undeniable, that is a truth. The rest is impression.

Here's the thing to say we were out coached in a game that close to accept that I need specific examples where clear cut mistakes like those I sighted about the execution ,you know, like throwing a challenge flag and being penalized for it by losing a time out ,which of our coaches did that ?
Never said it was my truth. I(nor Cook) also never said which coach. You also don't need to be a genius to know when a coach isn't very good. But when a veteran, who isn't dumb, sees something wrong, I tend to pay attention. He should have taken it directly to the head coach. That's the only thing that Cook should have done differently.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Never said it was my truth. I(nor Cook) also never said which coach. You also don't need to be a genius to know when a coach isn't very good. But when a veteran, who isn't dumb, sees something wrong, I tend to pay attention. He should have taken it directly to the head coach. That's the only thing that Cook should have done differently.
I don't think he's all that smart , and FWIW that's the second thing he "should have taken to the HC" before he did or said it in the last three weeks ,add in the shove of Davis on the sideline , the picture of a knucklehead starts to materialize and someone whose evaluations I am reticent to put stock in.

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't think he's all that smart , and FWIW that's the second thing he "should have taken to the HC" before he did or said it in the last three weeks ,add in the shove of Davis on the sideline , the picture of a knucklehead starts to materialize and someone whose evaluations I am reticent to put stock in.
He's an emotional player which is why he acts out during games. I haven't heard of him acting out or doing anything stupid off the field. He sounds pretty level headed in interviews, too. I'm not saying he's a Mensa member, but I also don't think he's an idiot like a lot of football players that speak out. "Smart" is a relative term when speaking with regards to many professional football players.