First pawpaws from the tree.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
Finally. Planted two trees 6 years ago and have had flowers on both for the last few years but no fruit. This year only one flower between the two trees so I decided to hand pollinate it. Pawpaws are finicky in that the male and female parts of the flower are not in sync so best bet is another unrelated pawpaw tree that isn't in sync. My son and I kayaked to a small grove of wild ones on the river and I was able to get a flower with pollen in it to take home. Used a Q-tip and ended up getting a cluster of five pawpaws that thinned to four. When I went to check today the cluster was on the ground and only three pawpaws to be found. I think a squirrel got the other one. This tree was the Mango variety and it lived up to the name. Better than any mango I've ever tried and the usual rich custard like texture of the pawpaw. Incredible flavor. First one my wife ever tried and now wants to make pawpaw ice-cream and smoothies next year. I'll be hand pollinating from now on.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My father loved pawpaws. I can take them or leave them very common here like persimmons.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I've had papayas and am neutral on them. I've never had a pawpaw and I don't recall seeing them in stores.

Have you ever had dragonfruit?

I just went home last week for the holiday and brought several with me because up north they don't exist.

They are like a kiwi sort of. What does a pawpaw taste like?

1567787793964.png

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've had papayas and am neutral on them. I've never had a pawpaw and I don't recall seeing them in stores.

Have you ever had dragonfruit?

I just went home last week for the holiday and brought several with me because up north they don't exist.

They are like a kiwi sort of. What does a pawpaw taste like?

View attachment 30043
My son loves dragonfruit. He's growing a plant now. More than tripled in size over the summer. You could grow them in Fl. Might have to bring it inside if it gets below freezing but Homestead, FL has acres of them.

Wild pawpaws generally taste like a real ripe flavorful banana. But since the texture of the fruit is like custard it's more like a Gros Michel banana. (The bananas you get at the supermarket here and in europe are the Cavendish variety. Gros Michel used to be the banana sold in the US and europe but the first Panama virus wiped out the plantations in Central and South America so the plantations switched to the resistant Cavendish in the 1950s. BTW the Cavendish is now being decimated by the Panama 4 virus so a new banana might take its place. The Cavendish has a milder flavor and is very dry compared to a Gros Michel and the flavor of a ripe wild pawpaw is on par with Gros Michel.) Pawpaws can also have mango and hints of pineapple flavor as well. There are other varieties of pawpaws for sale at nurseries but they are not cheap and if small take some years to bear fruit. Pawpaws used to be one of the main fruits available in the midwest before refrigeration and transportation improved. Unfortunately they only keep a few days when picked but they are excellent. Farmers markets where real growers set up should have them now through the end of this month, perhaps later the farther north you go. Once they start to give a little when gently squeezed they are real close to becoming ripe. They will also change color from green to yellow. Some people prefer them not as ripe as my family does but when I'm in the woods and find one getting soft I eat it! Cut it in half crossway and scoop out the flesh and spit out the large seeds. Lots of varieties some are bred for large size and smaller and fewer seeds. Definitely give them a try.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
My son loves dragonfruit. He's growing a plant now. More than tripled in size over the summer. You could grow them in Fl. Might have to bring it inside if it gets below freezing but Homestead, FL has acres of them.

Wild pawpaws generally taste like a real ripe flavorful banana. But since the texture of the fruit is like custard it's more like a Gros Michel banana. (The bananas you get at the supermarket here and in europe are the Cavendish variety. Gros Michel used to be the banana sold in the US and europe but the first Panama virus wiped out the plantations in Central and South America so the plantations switched to the resistant Cavendish in the 1950s. BTW the Cavendish is now being decimated by the Panama 4 virus so a new banana might take its place. The Cavendish has a milder flavor and is very dry compared to a Gros Michel and the flavor of a ripe wild pawpaw is on par with Gros Michel.) Pawpaws can also have mango and hints of pineapple flavor as well. There are other varieties of pawpaws for sale at nurseries but they are not cheap and if small take some years to bear fruit. Pawpaws used to be one of the main fruits available in the midwest before refrigeration and transportation improved. Unfortunately they only keep a few days when picked but they are excellent. Farmers markets where real growers set up should have them now through the end of this month, perhaps later the farther north you go. Once they start to give a little when gently squeezed they are real close to becoming ripe. They will also change color from green to yellow. Some people prefer them not as ripe as my family does but when I'm in the woods and find one getting soft I eat it! Cut it in half crossway and scoop out the flesh and spit out the large seeds. Lots of varieties some are bred for large size and smaller and fewer seeds. Definitely give them a try.

I'm going to keep an eye out for them in Publix.

Right now I live in Naples/Bonita so could grow a dragonfruit plant if I wanted to but it's just as easy to buy them.

I have considered a Meyer Lemon tree. If you've ever had one you'd know why.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm going to keep an eye out for them in Publix.

Right now I live in Naples/Bonita so could grow a dragonfruit plant if I wanted to but it's just as easy to buy them.

I have considered a Meyer Lemon tree. If you've ever had one you'd know why.
They are good and quite cold hardy too. Good container plant for Yankees. Back in season in 3 months.

Last edited: