First Look: Rams travel to Arizona to take on Cardinals

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
First Look: Rams travel to Arizona to take on Cardinals

The Los Angeles Rams (7-4, 1-2) head back on the road to take on the Arizona Cardinals (6-5, 2-1), seeking to stay near the top of the NFC West standings. Kickoff from State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Ariz., is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. pacific time on FOX.

In advance of the contest, here is your first look at Rams-Cardinals on Dec. 6, including notable Cardinals additions, some of Arizona's top statistical performers in Week 12 and key storylines:

Notable Cardinals additions
  • Signed DT Domata Peko Sr. on Nov. 23. In wake of veteran nose tackle Corey Peters sustaining a season-ending knee injury, Arizona turned to the 36-year-old Peko for help in the middle. The 15-year pro spent last season with the Ravens, where he made 13 tackles in seven games. He has one tackle in one game with the Cardinals so far.
  • Traded a 2021 sixth-round pick to the New York Giants for LB Markus Golden on Oct. 23. The Cardinals brought Golden back for a second stint with the team to help their pass rush, and so far he has tallied five QB hits and one sack while starting in three of four games.
Top performers in Week 12

QB Kyler Murray completed 23 of 34 pass attempts for 170 yards with one interception in a 20-17 loss to the New England Patriots.

RB Kenyan Drake powered the Cardinals backfield with 22 carries for 78 yards and two touchdowns, all game-highs.

WRs DeAndre Hopkins (5 catches for 55 yards) and Andy Isabella (4 for 33) paced Arizona's receivers, two of eight different ones Murray completed a pass to.

Defensively, LB Jordan Hicks collected a team-high seven total tackles, while DE Trevon Coley and LBs Isaiah Simmons and Devondre Campbell each added one sack and one QB hit.

On special teams, K Zane Gonzalez made 1 of 2 field goal attempts and both of his extra point attempts. The missed field goal – a 45-yard attempt – would've given the Cardinals a 20-17 lead with two minutes remaining.

Early storylines to watch, and what they mean for the Rams

While Rams cornerback Jalen Ramsey's receiver matchup always gets plenty of attention each week, facing the Cardinals' DeAndre Hopkins is especially noteworthy.

Battling it out in the AFC South with the Jaguars and Texans respectively early in their careers, both are in the same division again after the Cardinals acquired Hopkins from the Texans this offseason.

When I asked Ramsey about facing Hopkins twice a year again earlier this spring, Ramsey said Hopkins is "probably my toughest receiver matchup since I've been in the league" and that he was "excited for that challenge." If you've been around Ramsey or watched any of his press conferences since he arrived in Los Angeles, you know he is selective about which receivers he gives such high praise to, so those words about Hopkins carry weight.

If the Cardinals' first 11 games are any indication, Ramsey will get plenty of opportunities to shadow Hopkins on Sunday.

Out of 387 pass attempts this season, Murray has targeted Hopkins a team-high 103 times. That's 26.6 percent of his passes, or roughly one in every four attempts. Hopkins has hauled in 77 of those targets for 967 yards and four touchdowns so far.

While that matchup isn't the only one on the minds of the Rams defense – keeping Murray, among others, in check will be just as important – Ramsey and other defensive backs limiting Hopkins will certainly increase Los Angeles' chances of winning, as New England showed last week.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Evans gave Ramsey all he could handle, it was a tough matchup for him due to the refs not calling any of the elbow pushes or pulls. But Hopkins is a whole other level of matchup. I'd actually give him some help over the top on certain downs/distances/looks and I'm sure Staley won't hang him out to dry.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am soooo ready for this game.

I’ve been snooping Cardinal boards. They aren’t feeling really good over there.

There is also chatter of Murray’s throwing mechanics being off, telegraphing throws, etc. I haven’t heard much of that before.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Evans gave Ramsey all he could handle, it was a tough matchup for him due to the refs not calling any of the elbow pushes or pulls. But Hopkins is a whole other level of matchup. I'd actually give him some help over the top on certain downs/distances/looks and I'm sure Staley won't hang him out to dry.

Hasn't he taken care of Hopkins many times before? I don't think Hopkins has ever dominated him. Although I haven't checked, just going off memory.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hasn't he taken care of Hopkins many times before? I don't think Hopkins has ever dominated him. Although I haven't checked, just going off memory.

I haven't checked either but when the trade happened I heard other fans saying Hopkins usually got the best of him in the AFC South

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Need Sunday to get here fast. I am very excited to see what the team will show us. I feel like this could be a pivotal game for Goff.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien

If he can shut down Metcalf, he can shut down Hopkins!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I am soooo ready for this game.

I’ve been snooping Cardinal boards. They aren’t feeling really good over there.

There is also chatter of Murray’s throwing mechanics being off, telegraphing throws, etc. I haven’t heard much of that before.

But the mechanics of his running form are just fine...He can be a weapon for sure, and Idon't think he telegraph's where he's running to...My point, obviously, is that he can kill you almost by himself..

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
This game hinges on the Offense. If Goff has another day like last Sunday, we’re screwed.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO the Cardinals are built more like the Seahawks which plays well for the Rams. If the defense shows up like it typically does, all that needs to happens is for Goff to secure the ball.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

Evans got shut down when Ramsey was on him. The only times he scored is when Williams and Hill were covering him. Which is why Ramsey got pissed. lol. Watch tape!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Evans got shut down when Ramsey was on him. The only times he scored is when Williams and Hill were covering him. Which is why Ramsey got pissed. lol. Watch tape!
Take a look at the film Jacob. Ramsey had his hands full man. It wasn't anything like him vs Metcalf. It's just that Brady had no chance to wait for things and he's a shitty deep ball thrower. But in fairness to Ramsey there was a lot of offensive BS along with Ramsey's defensive contact so in a way it balanced out. That said, if we see the Bucs again I suspect the coverages will be mixed up a bit and he'll get more safety help like he's gonna get in this next game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't want to get all negative on Ramsey here, that's not my intent. Just observing that I expect Staley to mix in some help for him vs this matchup. If he doesn't and Ramsey handles Hopkins that would be great. I just don't think that's gonna be the approach but we'll see.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Shutdown Hopkins, Contain the Red Midget and we will win this one!

Considering out ability to contain and harass the Green Midget I feel pretty good about our D’s chance.

The Cards D is pretty good though. Something about the way Budda Baker has been playing makes me a bit nervous. Our O needs to get right for me to have any confidence going up against NE.

How do you guys think we attack this D? Where’s the weak spot?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
From the Podium: Rams look ahead to Sunday's Week 13 game at Cardinals

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Rams head coach Sean McVay, defensive coordinator Brandon Staley, safety John Johnson III and quarterback Jared Goff each held video conferences with local media Wednesday to preview Sunday's Week 13 road game against the Cardinals, discussing the windy conditions locally, Arizona quarterback Kyler Murray and Arizona's offense, among other important topics.

Here are some of the highlights and key takeaways from those virtual conversations:

"(The wind advisory) definitely does (affect us practice-wise)." – McVay
  • As a result of the wind advisory issued for Ventura County beginning Thursday, the Rams will hold virtual meetings in the morning, then conduct practice at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood instead of at their facility in Thousand Oaks.
  • McVay said "we need to get that work in," because "you can see the amount of good work that gets in, even though it is minimal once you get this late in the season, is something that you can't take for granted," especially after canceling last Friday's practice.

"The thing that's unique about Kyler (Murray) is that he's faster than a lot of the spies that you may have on field. This guy's got real speed." – Staley
  • Murray's ability to make plays with his legs has been problematic for most opposing defenses. So far, Arizona's signal-caller has rushed for a team-high 10 rushing touchdowns through their first 11 games.
  • Sometimes, using a spy – a defensive player assigned to shadow the quarterback or another backfield player – works as a solution to contain quarterbacks like Murray, though Staley said it can also cause offenses to hurt you more when you keep passers in the pocket longer.

"It's like the road runner, you know? It doesn't look like he's covering a lot of ground, but he is, because he's taking a lot of steps." – Johnson
  • Asked how he would describe Murray's running style, Johnson compared it to a speedy and popular cartoon character.
  • Johnson said that as a defender, that type of a runner requires you to match the runner's body language by shortening your stride instead of running with long ones when trying to tackle him.

"If (McVay) was lying, I'd feel differently about it. He's absolutely right. I'm a big boy, I can handle it." – Goff
  • Normally not one to publicly criticize one of his players, McVay went in a different direction after Sunday's game, saying "our quarterback has to take better care of the ball" after Goff threw a pair of interceptions and lost a fumble against the 49ers.
  • That approach didn't bother Goff, given his and McVay's relationship. "I'm accountable for myself, and I need to be better than that, I need to take care of the football," Goff said.

Tano

Legend
My brother who is a Cardinals fan (damn him for changing from the Rams to the Cardinals after the Rams moved to St Louis and he moved to Arizona) has stated that Murray has a shoulder injury and was afraid to run in the New England game.

His running may still be affected this game.