Final thoughts on Jared Goff (turnovers) he had to go

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Goff's career playing for the California Golden Bears (college)

He had 24 fumbles and 30 interceptions over three seasons.

Goff fumbled the football 24 times in three seasons (37 games) at Cal.

I believed he would clean this up with NFL coaching but it became part of his mantra at the professional level.

When he got to the NFL his turnover issues got better under McVay but then they regressed back to his college days.

NFL Career

Goff's 62 turnovers since 2017 are the second most behind only Jameis Winston.

This is why Goff is no longer a Ram.

Spin it anyway you want.

His turnover issues from college carried over to the NFL.

This is why he is no longer the Rams quarterback.

Point Blank.....

5feb3317de09e.image.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I came across this video, wasn’t sure where to put it....

Anyway.... this guy did a Stafford one that got a lot of play.

You might recognize him from that. He does a good job giving balance to the trade conversation.

View: https://youtu.be/S7r91y7MUuQ

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe. Then again, the QB they brought in has been known to turn it over a time or two himself.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pick_six_career.htm

The QB you are talking about has a name @tempests He's known as Matthew Stafford.

Maybe you will have something to talk about when the 2021 season begins.

Regardless... Goff was a turnover machine during his college days and it carried over to the NFl.

McVay had enough and traded him to Detroit.

On paper the trade was the right the thing to do.

So what is your point?

Stafford will be the same turnover machine Goff was?

If so, say it don't add Stafford in the same category of turnover issues unless you believe he will be more of the same in the turnover department.

You sound like a glass house if you're not making a prediction of how Stafford will perform compared to Goff.

We will find out when the 2021 season begins.

SfNvq4Vutco4E4IvPashjSytH7c57yCR-ujYXZ3FyBfXrCqmWVYzRKXgFpPea8jd4Yx3gHAU0h5-iv5WL_mbbsjHzio3moEfkzMh1RWNVxE_lI-aV6kypVozNlBsVzCdf2z6PRzkkV9clZw

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can’t speak for Stafford’s picks but some of Goff’s were bad. Jourdan said that it wasn’t even Goff turning the ball over that bothered McVay. It was that they were bad turnovers that weren’t from good plays from the defense.

Wow I didn't see that but it correlates to my biggest issue with Goff: unforced errors. Like you say, so many of his turnovers weren't under pressure, weren't "wow what a play by the defense" type of plays

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gentlemen, regardless of the multiple turnovers by Goff and there were many, IMO, this is all from the Neck up and not seeing the field and that is why they made the deal.

With Stafford you have a QB who is off the charts from a cerebral standpoint and with everything Goff brings to the table, that is not his greatest asset. Goff does not go through his progressions all of the time and seems to zone in on Kupp too often as well.

Keep in mind, once the NFL changed the rule to cut off the Coach's communication to the QB at the 15 second point, Goff has not been the same. McVay could see the field and the adjustments, Goff had issues once the defense audibled and IMO, that's why you watched the Rams snap the ball with 2 seconds on play clock routinely.

Now I never like trading younger for older in any sport and others have debated that if Stafford is that good, he should have carried the Lions further, but Barry Sanders couldn't do it either and he was on of the best ever....So Let's hope McVay has his savant counterpart at QB and the offense will be potent again, but with wanting Stafford to drop back more often, the offensive line will need an upgrade and let's hope the Los Angeles Rams have a plan for that too.

Flipper89

UDFA
It was the turnovers compared with the lack of production. If Goff had 40 TD’s and 15 picks, he’d still be a Ram. His confidence dropped and he never was nor will he ever be a game-manager. He needs to sling it and the picks will go along with it. Need to take the bad with the good, if it’s good enough. Watching highlights of 2017 and 2018, generally speaking you see a more confident QB.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I can’t speak for Stafford’s picks but some of Goff’s were bad. Jourdan said that it wasn’t even Goff turning the ball over that bothered McVay. It was that they were bad turnovers that weren’t from good plays from the defense.

With all the rules that favour offense today probably the majority of INTs thrown by NFL QBs are avoidable. Not recognizing the coverage, off target throws, forcing, etc.

I had my reaction to Goff's turnovers during the last two seasons. They hurt an offense that lacked explosion and struggled to finish off drives with TDs.

But Stafford had as many turnovers in Detroit as Goff did with the Rams. Both averaged about 15 a year. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to string up one QB and turn a blind eye to the other.

What will matter is Stafford's willingness to go big play hunting and hopefully an offense that plays at a higher level of consistency and efficiency. I suspect that is what McVay is looking for.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
With all the rules that favour offense today probably the majority of INTs thrown by NFL QBs are avoidable. Not recognizing the coverage, off target throws, forcing, etc.

I had my reaction to Goff's turnovers during the last two seasons. They hurt an offense that lacked explosion and struggled to finish off drives with TDs.

But Stafford had as many turnovers in Detroit as Goff did with the Rams. Both averaged about 15 a year. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to string up one QB and turn a blind eye to the other.

What will matter is Stafford's willingness to go big play hunting and hopefully an offense that plays at a higher level of consistency and efficiency. I suspect that is what McVay is looking for.

My take on Goff’s turnovers is that they were mainly from not feeling the pass rush, holding the ball too low, and slow reaction once the rush was there. His int’s were too often thrown from the desperation of a play breaking down and just throwing in a general direction. It’s not like he had Darius Williams jumping routes each time.

I’m only going to guess on Stafford but after watching his style and ability it’s likely most of his ints came from trusting his arm and trying to throw into tight coverage. He doesn’t look like the type (from watching) to be the type to just throw the ball out of desperation.

Listen to that Podcast. It’s a close as your going to get to why the trade was made. Jourdan is in the building and talks to a lot of people.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Keep in mind, once the NFL changed the rule to cut off the Coach's communication to the QB at the 15 second point, Goff has not been the same. McVay could see the field and the adjustments, Goff had issues once the defense audibled and IMO, that's why you watched the Rams snap the ball with 2 seconds on play clock routinely.

I don't think they changed the rule during the last four years, I believe it was the defense that caught onto that and wouldn't show anything until the 15 second mark, if I'm not mistaken. The TV announcers kind of cued the other teams to what McVay was doing, and then they adjusted.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't think they changed the rule during the last four years,

IDK, here is an article from 2018.

There was much discussion in the NFL last year about the Los Angeles Rams hurrying to the line of scrimmage, effectively skirting the frequency cutoff deadline – 15 seconds left in the play clock in the NFL – in order for first time Head Coach Sean McVay to tip off rookie quarterback Jared Goff of the defences plans.

How much credit did Goff deserve? How much of the Rams success was McVay being Goff’s eyes?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
IDK, here is an article from 2018.

There was much discussion in the NFL last year about the Los Angeles Rams hurrying to the line of scrimmage, effectively skirting the frequency cutoff deadline – 15 seconds left in the play clock in the NFL – in order for first time Head Coach Sean McVay to tip off rookie quarterback Jared Goff of the defences plans.

How much credit did Goff deserve? How much of the Rams success was McVay being Goff’s eyes?

And just how much of that will Stafford put up with? Because if McVay has a habit of "helping" his QB he probably won't be able to stop.

Flint

Pro Bowler

Stafford and Goff have similar interception numbers the last 4 years but in 3 of those the rams have gone to the playoffs and the Lions haven’t. To me that says that the Lions are missing some of the other pieces needed. The rams believe Stafford won’t be turning the ball over like he did in Detroit and that remains to be seen, as someone else posted, Stafford is more likely to throw into coverage cuz he has confidence in his arm where as Goff sometimes just throws it to the guy on the other team. I think those kind of plays put McVay over the edge, Goff would take ownership and promise to do better then it would happen again. You don’t have to be Tom Brady to figure out there’s going to be a free rusher when there are 6 guys on the line so how do you get blindsided? Maybe there’s another explanation but judging by mcvay’s actions it seems he doesn’t believe Goff is capable of running the offense at a high enough level. It’s risky playing the what if game but if you take out the most terrible Goff turnover in the Miami game the Seattle game and the niner game, do they win those? Could they have gotten a home game or a bye this year? Who knows?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keep in mind, once the NFL changed the rule to cut off the Coach's communication to the QB at the 15 second point, Goff has not been the same.

Say what? The nfl didn't change the rule.

All these theories that get thrown around.

The only team that got around it was the cheats who used a different frequency to speak to Brady all the way up to the snap. They would see the hand signals made by the defense and then tell Brady exactly what the defense was running.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
And just how much of that will Stafford put up with? Because if McVay has a habit of "helping" his QB he probably won't be able to stop.

I think the whole point is that McVay didn't want to be doing that and was trying to coach Goff up and it wasn't going well.

Apparently, they had a REALLY LONG meeting. 4 hours, wasn't it? And the outcome of that was "philosophical differences"

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that one...