[Updated] Julio Jones and Falcons agree to 3yr extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...e-julio-jones-the-nfls-highest-paid-receiver/

Falcons reportedly closing in on a deal to make Julio Jones the NFL's highest-paid receiver

For years now, Julio Jones has been one of the handful of best wide receivers in the NFL.

He has played at least 14 games in six of his eight seasons, and he has made the Pro Bowl in each of those six seasons, including the last five in a row. He's been named a First Team All-Pro twice and a Second Teamer once. He hasaveraged a 105-1,599-6 line over the past five years, while leading the league in receiving yards twice, and yards per game three times.

Last offseason, the Falcons gave Jones a small raise to make his salary more commensurate with his production. Now, they're getting ready to make him a far richer man. Per a report from Bleacher Report's Mike Freeman, the Falcons are preparing to make Jones the highest-paid receiver in the NFL.

My understanding is the Falcons and Jones are closing in on a deal that would pay him $20 million a year over a four- or five-year contract extension. He would get anywhere from $50 million to $60 million in new guarantees, one source told me.

The deal isn't done. As with any negotiation, contract talks are always fluid, and things can change in an instant. The talks with Jones could take longer, or fall apart, or continue to proceed smoothly. But the indications are that the two sides seem to be nearing an agreement that will make both Jones and the Falcons happy.

That would give Jones a deal just a bit larger than the one Odell Beckham Jr. signed last offseason that made him the highest-paid receiver in the NFL. Beckham signed a five-year, $90 million contract that contained just south of $41 million in fully guaranteed money. Jones would blow that deal out of the water under the framework reported by Freeman, receiving an additional $2 million in per-year value and an additional $9-19 million in guarantees. It's difficult to say Jones wouldn't deserve it, given his production to date.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
People want to assume the Rams re-sign Cooper Kupp. I'm not so sure.

Even without seeing Julio Jones' real contract numbers, it's easy to say that the WR market has exploded the last couple of years. It seems like it's not just limited to "outside" guys. I'm guessing Golden Taint and Jarvis Landry are slot guys. The ageing, 30+ Taint recently signed a contract with a +9M average cap hit. Landry's contract has over a 15M average annual cap hit. Yes, yes, there's all kinds of nuance with guaranteed money, incentives, bonuses, etc., regardless, contracts this big aren't being handed out like candy. I presume the salaries will keep going up. I also imagine in the next couple of years Cooper Kupp will be making some of his plays while lined up outside which I'd bet his agent would focus on.

The Rams are going to sign Goff to a massive, cap-eating extension. After or around that time, they need to make a decision on Kupp. I'm not sure that the Kupp extension is a slam dunk (health, knock on wood).

jjab360

Legend
People want to assume the Rams re-sign Cooper Kupp. I'm not so sure.

Even without seeing Julio Jones' real contract numbers, it's easy to say that the WR market has exploded the last couple of years. It seems like it's not just limited to "outside" guys. I'm guessing Golden Taint and Jarvis Landry are slot guys. The ageing, 30+ Taint recently signed a contract with a +9M average cap hit. Landry's contract has over a 15M average annual cap hit. Yes, yes, there's all kinds of nuance with guaranteed money, incentives, bonuses, etc., regardless, contracts this big aren't being handed out like candy. I presume the salaries will keep going up. I also imagine in the next couple of years Cooper Kupp will be making some of his plays while lined up outside which I'd bet his agent would focus on.

The Rams are going to sign Goff to a massive, cap-eating extension. After or around that time, they need to make a decision on Kupp. I'm not sure that the Kupp extension is a slam dunk (health, knock on wood).
Goff is not the same QB without Kupp. No way he doesn't get extended barring injury.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You guys are getting way ahead of yourselves re Kupp.

Ram65

Legend
Julio Jones deserves a new big contract. Better the Falcons pay him then him becoming a free agent.

Rams could extend Kupp later this year after he shows he is healthy. Rams have lots of money tied up in Cooks. Woods is a lot cheaper. Woods in in year three of his five year deal. His last two years are cap hits of $7.177 and $9.177 million. He will be 30 April after his last year. Rams could get Kupp an early extension and resign Woods too. At the least the Rams will get Kupp redone.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/robert-woods-12322/

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Julio Jones deserves a new big contract. Better the Falcons pay him then him becoming a free agent.

Rams could extend Kupp later this year after he shows he is healthy. Rams have lots of money tied up in Cooks. Woods is a lot cheaper. Woods in in year three of his five year deal. His last two years are cap hits of $7.177 and $9.177 million. He will be 30 April after his last year. Rams could get Kupp an early extension and resign Woods too. At the least the Rams will get Kupp redone.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/robert-woods-12322/
I think Woods is the type of player to be able to play at a high level well into his 30s. He has very little mileage on him. Him, Cooks and Kupp could be together for a while.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Woods is the type of player to be able to play at a high level well into his 30s. He has very little mileage on him. Him, Cooks and Kupp could be together for a while.

I agree on Woods. His route skills look a lot like Isaac Bruce, who hit 1300 yds at 32, and 1100yds at 34yrs old.

Woods seems like that type.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
His route skills look a lot like Isaac Bruce

So do his hands CGI. At least to me they do.

And his RAC........before Bruce started to hit the deck when defenders were getting away with leading with their helmet. Even though it was against the rules it wasn't being called for quite a few seasons.

Bruce always cut up field and tried to make DB's miss and Woods does the same thing.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I swear it feels like Jones gets a contract "adjustment" every year just to make him the highest paid WR in the league.....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Great news for Falcons fans. Now if only they had a good coaching staff...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Lack of Julio Jones deal is becoming a problem for the Falcons

Some believed that the Falcons and receiver Julio Jones quietly had a deal in place, and that the two sides were waiting for the one-year anniversary of his latest new contract (a mandatory requirement for some deals) before officially executing the new one. The Falcons apparently now wish that was the case.

As one league source explains it to PFT, there wasn’t a deal and there still isn’t a deal. As the season approaches, it’s becoming a problem for the team.

Reinforcing the notion that the Falcons knew what they’d be paying Jones was the team’s ability to extend defensive tackle Grady Jarrett and linebacker Deion Jones. But, again, that wasn’t the case. The Falcons now need to make something with Jones work within the framework established by the Jarrett deal, the Deion Jones deal, and all other existing deals.

Most recently came the unexpected necessity to bring kicker Matt Bryant back, with a one-year, $3 million base deal. Although the salary cap sits at $188.2 million, every dollar counts when one of the best receivers in the NFL is looking to cash in — and when the Falcons apparently don’t have much to spare. Based on current NFLPA numbers, the Falcons have less than $4 million in cap space. At this point, the Falcons will have to negotiate one or more deals to get the Julio Jones deal done.

For his part, Julio Jones hasn’t grumbled or complained. He said weeks ago that owner Arthur Blank gave his word that a contract was coming, and that that was good enough for Julio Jones. The offers made to date, however, clearly haven’t been good enough — and they need to get better soon or Julio Jones may start grumbling and complaining.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Falcons, Julio Jones reportedly agree to three-year deal with $66 million in guarantees

Julio Jones gambled the Atlanta Falcons would stay true to their word and give him a contract extension, showing up to camp and not creating an distraction as talks were ongoing. The Falcons are now holding up their end of the deal.

After reports broke early Saturday that the two sides were finalizing an agreement on a contract extension, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that an agreement has been struck.

View: https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1170377487676792832?s=21

That percentage of guaranteed money shatters the previous non-QB record.

View: https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1170379345015300096?s=21

While both sides have been extremely civil and positive throughout these negotiations, Jones did seemingly make a push publicly to get a deal donebefore the start of the regular season this week. He was reportedly adding a little different at practice on Thursday and kept his status for Sunday's opener against the Vikings vague saying, "I don't know."

With a new deal in hand, Jones will suit up for Atlanta in Week 1.

Jones is set to be the league's highest-paid receiver annually, making more than New Orleans Saints' Michael Thomas (five years, $96.25 million, $19.25 million average annual value), Cleveland Browns' Odell Beckham (five years, $90 million, $18 million AAV) and Oakland Raiders' Antonio Brown (three years, $50.125 million, $16,708,833 AAV).

The contract extension is well deserved for Jones, who is the league's all-time leader in receiving yards per game (96.7) and is averaging 1,599 yards over the past five seasons. During that stretch, he's led the NFL in receiving yards per game three times, yards twice, and catches once.

Since Jones entered the league in 2011, he has 698 catches for 10,731 yards (15.4 yards per catch) and 51 touchdowns in his first eight seasons. Jones, a six-time Pro Bowler and two-time first team All-Pro, led the NFL in receiving yards twice (2015, 2018) and the league in catches (2015). Jones had 113 catches for 1,677 yards and eight touchdowns last season, averaging 14.8 yards per catch.

Jones had 9,618 receiving yards through his first 100 games, the most for any receiver in NFL history. He became the fastest wide receiver to reach 10,000 career receiving yards in NFL history in just 104 games, surpassing Calvin Johnson's previous record (115 games). Jones has 47 100-yard receiving games through his first eight seasons, the most in NFL history (Randy Moss previously held the record at 45). He has the 14 games with 10-plus catches and 100-plus yards in his career, tied for sixth in NFL history.

More history-making moments will come for Jones in a Falcons uniform as this deal will take him through the prime of his career.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
Good news, he deserves every penny, class act. Big contrast to the clownshow out there in Oakland.

Ram65

Legend
Got to pay to keep the best ones...... $66 million guaranteed - $64 million of which is due at signing. The increases are never-ending.

Since Jones entered the league in 2011, he has 698 catches for 10,731 yards (15.4 yards per catch) and 51 touchdowns in his first eight seasons. Jones, a six-time Pro Bowler and two-time first team All-Pro, led the NFL in receiving yards twice (2015, 2018) and the league in catches (2015). Jones had 113 catches for 1,677 yards and eight touchdowns last season, averaging 14.8 yards per catch.

Great numbers but, TDs are low.