Ex-Ram Donnie Avery back on the market

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/17/chiefs-to-cut-donnie-avery/

Chiefs to cut Donnie Avery
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 17, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptk5ztkxodewytewmtzimmu1nmjly2rjytvmnzk0yze2-e1412270019943.jpeg
Getty Images

Donnie Avery’s tenure with the Chiefs is coming to an end.

Avery, a receiver who was limited to 15 catches in six games last season, was scheduled to cost $3.4 million against the Chiefs’ salary cap this season. So it’s no surprise that, as Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports, the Chiefs are letting him go.

A second-round draft pick of the Rams in 2008, Avery had his best season in 2012 with the Colts, when he caught 60 passes for 781 yards. The Chiefs signed him on the strength of that season and he showed some promise in 2013, but he did next to nothing in 2014.

Avery now hits the free agent market, while wide receiver becomes an even bigger need in Kansas City. He'll turn 31 in June.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Hard to believe he's already 31. Time flies! That was a strange year for wide receivers in the draft, wasn't it? We selected him at the top of the second round as I believe the first wide receiver selected that year. Too bad we couldn't get a system in place for him to thrive. Given better circumstances he sure could have had a better career. At this point we really don't have a need for him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I remember thinking how good he looked (compared to Salas & Pettis) during that preseason...He had just caught a bomb in preseason game 4 I believe...a really good catch...Then we cut him...oh well...

I'm on the DGB train...after some linemen...but before the LB....maybe he falls to the 5th round

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
He was always too dinged up IMO. Didn't miss a ton of games as a Ram, but always seemed to be leaving games after taking hits etc. Sometimes he would return, sometimes he would sit sit out until the next week.

A55VA6

Legend
I think he's a decent enough player to find a new home. Probably the Raiders or some shit. haha.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Funny how his best year was when he had a good team and QB behind him.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Hard to believe he's already 31. Time flies!

No kidding, I remember like it was yesterday watching Avery beat the Cowgirls on the deep pass, when we stomped them. I was in Iraq, it was the one game I watched, and I was the only Rams fan in a sea of Cowgirls fans. I gave up sleep between missions so I could watch, and it was very much worth it. The year before the only game I watched was the last 10 minutes of the Super Bowl (the Patriots infamous 18-1 season) during a firefight when we took cover in some random guys house, and he turned it on because we were American and assumed we wanted to watch. Two of the guys in my fireteam were from Boston, it was awesome.:LOL:

FRO

Legend
I think everybody assumed that we were getting Desean Jackson with that pick. Totally shocked when Avery's name was called. One of the multiple reasons we never win.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think everybody assumed that we were getting Desean Jackson with that pick. Totally shocked when Avery's name was called. One of the multiple reasons we never win.
That's who Softli wanted, but Linehan wanted Avery.
We fired the wrong guy.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
We fired the wrong guy.
Hey, at least people have stopped blaming the Avery pick on Devaney... that's progress right there.

FRO

Legend
We fired the wrong guy.
The Linehan period was a period where the average fan could have drafted much better than him. Horrible.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Players from our past losing teams are not considered rebuilding but instead it is revisiting our past failures. Lets get OL help, and hope SB has a conscious and get this thing on track. I am all for a QB project as well but not sure this is the right time or draft to use our resources for such endeavors. A discounted SB on a short term deal would be optimal.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

Ya know, I'd finally come to peace over the Avery vs Desean Jackson thing, hadn't given it a moments thought, and then this thread happened. Dude is still cranking out 1000 yard seasons (in Washington?!? Really?!?) at the same age that Avery is being cut and probably done in the NFL. Epically poor choice. I can't think of anything that better exemplified the wasteland of Rams fandom years that were the Devanney Linehan years than this mind boggling decision.

Where's my xanax?