Every team's last 10 first round picks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
If you have an hour to kill

NFC (the shitbirds and 40-shitters are right after the Rams FYI)

AFC

What these videos shows is that most teams are 50/50 on getting a good players, with some variance either way. And that is just the FIRST round. The success rates in the 2nd round and beyond just plummet.

And that's why I pretty much ignore all draft talk and "analysis". Year after year, it's the same thing. Teams will get arbitrary "grades" after the draft weekend (lol), all the while most players won't even be on the team in 3 years. Injuries, inability to play at the pro level, or off-field issues all play a part.

It's not to say the draft ISN'T important, it's just that in recent years I'm leaning toward it's merely a resource to find young, healthy players that MAY be decent enough to start. I think that fans and especially media have romanticized the draft isn't something it's not...as a guaranteed way to find superstars. Every year we'll hear something like "Oh Tom Brady was a 6th round pick....Kurt Warner was undrafted, etc etc." But those are exceptions. For every rare Kurt Warner, how many 6th rounders come and go? Exactly. Regardless whether the Rams still had their 1st and 2nd round picks this year, I'm going to watch the draft this year, for the FYI "X team took player Y" purposes, but after? Ehh.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The draft is truly a crap shoot. It all comes down to how good your scouting and talent evaluation is. Some things you just can't foretell. These are kids that haven't fully matured, mentally and physicly.
I like McSnead's approach. Workout warriors, students of the game who love football and strive to improve their game.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
The draft is truly a crap shoot. It all comes down to how good your scouting and talent evaluation is. Some things you just can't foretell. These are kids that haven't fully matured, mentally and physicly.
I like McSnead's approach. Workout warriors, students of the game who love football and strive to improve their game.
This is why I'm not upset at Snead trading picks for PROVEN talent. It's a lot better than gambling on potential and waiting for development.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
This is why I'm not upset at Snead trading picks for PROVEN talent. It's a lot better than gambling on potential and waiting for development.
Can you imagine what the reaction would be if we had kept our first round pick instead of trading for Brandin Cooks, and the Rams pick in the first round ended up being a bust? Some people here would never shut up about it. And some of those would be the same ones who complained that we gave up our 1st round pick for Brandin.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agreed, however the cost will catch up to us

No it won't.The videos I posted shows the number of misses EVERY team has in the first round alone. The number of misses increases exponentially after the first round.

The problem is when media cherry-picks the hits in the later rounds to justify that you can find players anywhere, that thought is engraved in fans' heads. Sure, you can find a player every now and then, but most? Nah. And usually those hits are in multiple years, i.e. get a good 2nd rounder this year, a 4th next, etc. '

Bottom thirds of the roster are very fluid, and in the last couple years, in my view the draft is just a way to fill out the bottom third. Get depth and maybe if a team is lucky, get a player like Greg Zuerlein or Cooper Kupp.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Its kind of funny that all of a sudden we are devaluing the draft. Fact is you could probably make the same claim that only 50% of all FAs and trades work out, even proven talents. Those guys are also typically off your team in 3 years or so, for off field issues, system non fit and most commonly cap casualties.

The draft is the best way to restock your roster with cheaper controllable talent. Also a great way to add depth to your roster.

There is a time and place to trade draft capital and to acquire draft capital. Although, I think a 1st was still too much for Cooks, i like the aggressive approach and hope that we dont trade any more prime draft capital for the couple of years.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The draft is a way to restock and remain competitive, but only if its done right. Way too many variables and luck is a big factor. Injuries have derailed many plans. You want to be competitive year after year, you have your franchise quarterback in place, make sure he has weapons and implement a good system that maximizes the talent you have.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
The only problem I see with trading high draft picks for proven players is it can stress your cap situation.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
The cost of a 1st round draft pick being a bust hurts even worse.

Yeah remind me about our two #2 LTs in the first round picks Jason Smith and Greg Robinson. Those two picks killed us! Can we say super busts. Can you imagine who we could have had instead YIKES!

That hurts.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its kind of funny that all of a sudden we are devaluing the draft. Fact is you could probably make the same claim that only 50% of all FAs and trades work out, even proven talents. Those guys are also typically off your team in 3 years or so, for off field issues, system non fit and most commonly cap casualties.

I've felt this way for a few years now. From 2006 to about 2011 I put so much stock into these "scouting reports" all the while being oblivious to almost all these players were on different teams next season if they were lucky. Who was that safety that was so hyped up...Baccarri Rambo. Fun name, but dude ain't even on a team right now. Ramses Barden, Troy Nikolas, Morris Claiborne, Aaron Curry, Barrett Jones, etc etc. The list is endless.

Now I'm just like, ehh. If they don't work out it's no biggie. And its also why I don't bash the last FO staff a lot. Some fans will continue to bitch about Brian Quick and Isiah Pead, but forget about the superstars that are currently playing and the reality of the draft. The fact they were able to get as many stars as they did, is impressive.

The draft is the best way to restock your roster with cheaper controllable talent. Also a great way to add depth to your roster.

That's pretty much what it is now, but you can easily get some other team's draft pick they cut the following season, if not the same season.

There is a time and place to trade draft capital and to acquire draft capital. Although, I think a 1st was still too much for Cooks, i like the aggressive approach and hope that we dont trade any more prime draft capital for the couple of years.

Brandin Cooks is proven. And looking at the 2nd half the 1st round its truly a 50/50 if you get a decent starter. If the team was picking in the top 10 I doubt they would make the move.

Having that 1st would've made some great tv and look pretty on day 3 when the picks are bullet-pointed out and Mike Mayock is having an orgy over it. Other than that, there's really not much more to it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If you have an hour to kill

NFC (the shitbirds and 40-shitters are right after the Rams FYI)

AFC

What these videos shows is that most teams are 50/50 on getting a good players, with some variance either way. And that is just the FIRST round. The success rates in the 2nd round and beyond just plummet.

And that's why I pretty much ignore all draft talk and "analysis". Year after year, it's the same thing. Teams will get arbitrary "grades" after the draft weekend (lol), all the while most players won't even be on the team in 3 years. Injuries, inability to play at the pro level, or off-field issues all play a part.

It's not to say the draft ISN'T important, it's just that in recent years I'm leaning toward it's merely a resource to find young, healthy players that MAY be decent enough to start. I think that fans and especially media have romanticized the draft isn't something it's not...as a guaranteed way to find superstars. Every year we'll hear something like "Oh Tom Brady was a 6th round pick....Kurt Warner was undrafted, etc etc." But those are exceptions. For every rare Kurt Warner, how many 6th rounders come and go? Exactly. Regardless whether the Rams still had their 1st and 2nd round picks this year, I'm going to watch the draft this year, for the FYI "X team took player Y" purposes, but after? Ehh.

I like watching the Draft to see witch Team fills there needs Best! And what Players they deem BPA according to there needs, scheme, and availability at a given point in the Draft! JMHO

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I think the Rams are shooting for the Steelers approach more so than the Patriot Way. Being in the Superbowl every year isn't likely to happen in a tough NFC. It's not like the Patriots, where they have one true obstacle to hurdle each year. The Steelers stay good but usually make a real push for the Superbowl every three to five years roughly. It works well in the long term.

So the Rams will sign who they deem most important to their success, and fill in where they need players each year. But, this year the trading makes sense. I don't expect that these moves will be the norm.

Most of those picks that Snead got in the RGIII deal are no longer Rams. Who is left? Brockers? There are just too many moving parts with the cap and free agent contracts.