Everett Eager to ‘Cut Loose’ and ‘Compete’ in Year 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Everett Eager to ‘Cut Loose’ and ‘Compete’ in Year 2

A year ago tight end Gerald Everett was a fresh-faced rookie going through his first NFL offseason — tasked with learning a completely new scheme, while adapting to the quick speed of the league.

Fast forward to 2018 and Everett is now taking on his second OTAs with the Rams. And now that he has a year of professional experience, the South Alabama product has been able to attack practices with a different mentality.

Just understanding my role and what is going to be expected of me,” he said of the biggest difference in year 2 "I'm not spinning as much as when I still had the college stuff in my mind.”

Everett returns this season to join a familiar set of players under a consistent scheme. Once again, the tight end will be catching passes from quarterback Jared Goff and being lead by head

Everett returns this season to join a familiar set of players under a consistent scheme. Once again, the tight end will be catching passes from quarterback Jared Goff and being lead by head coach Sean McVay.

He will also be operating under the same playbook, something Everett says has allowed him to have more confidence and truly “cut loose” during practices.

“I don’t have to think as much,” he acknowledged. “Last year, I was spinning to say the least. But now that I can finally relax and just compete, it feels pretty good.”

This season, Everett will be competing for a larger role in the Rams’ offense.

In 2017, the tight end recorded 244 receiving yards for two touchdowns. But this year, he is hoping to develop into a more complete playmaker, able to be utilized by McVay as both an in-line tight end or receiver — developing as a blocker on the inside and a pass catcher on the outside.

“Being whatever the team needs me to be so we can go further than last year,” he said. “We look at ourselves in the mirror and know that we all have to get better, so that’s exactly what we’re doing now.”

And though Everett has no specific personal goals for the rest of the team’s offseason program, he is excited about continuing to grasp the offense and perfect it.

“Really just working on myself, trying to develop some more chemistry with the guys and just be the team [player] that I can be,” he said.

[www.therams.com]

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Let's hope so. We need our TE unit to step up. Maybe even replace some red zone productivity we lost with the departure of Watkins.

DLux27

Rookie
Yeah hoping for a jump from GE this year. Watch his tape and he had massive tackle breaking skills and can really help this year if he puts in the work and masters the playbook.

RocknRam29

Live, Love, Laugh, & Learn
At first when I saw the title of the thread, I was thinking who the hell is Everett Eager? Haha

Last edited:

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Looking at his college highlights this guy has all of the physical tools. If he plays to even 75% of his potential this offense will improve drastically.

I have bit forgotten about higbee either, he has the tools to be a really good player too, our TE group could be very dangerous

Ram65

Legend
Just understanding my role and what is going to be expected of me,” he said of the biggest difference in year 2 "I'm not spinning as much as when I still had the college stuff in my mind.”

“I don’t have to think as much,” he acknowledged. “Last year, I was spinning to say the least. But now that I can finally relax and just compete, it feels pretty good.”

In 2017, the tight end recorded 244 receiving yards for two touchdowns. But this year, he is hoping to develop into a more complete playmaker, able to be utilized by McVay as both an in-line tight end or receiver — developing as a blocker on the inside and a pass catcher on the outside.

Everett did some good and some bad things last year. Could have been making the transition to the NFL. I'm sure they gave him a lot to learn. I think the grind got to him. The thigh contusion week two didn't help.

The Good
IIRC D"Marco Farr said his blocking was surprisingly good.
He made some nice plays with a nice driving catch week one and a TD run inside later in the year.
Big game against Redskins week 2. He had 4 catches for 134 yards but, received thigh contusion in the game.

The Bad
Seemed to get outmuscled on missed end zone/sideline TD and didn't fight through contact. Slipped on inside slant at the goal line.
He had 3 drops and 1 fumbled (last week of season).

I thought he would get a little more action. The Rams didn't have him as the primary receiver much. He was an outlet-last resort option a lot which Goff would throw late to. Hard to make plays in those situations. It's going to be hard to get chances again this year as the Rams have Cooks, Woods, Cupp and Gurley all getting lots of targets. I look for Everett to make a big jump this year but, the numbers may not show it. We will have to see how McVay decides to use Everett. One possibility is Everett will be used in the end zone more now that big WR Watkins is gone.

Last edited:

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Nothing about Everett’s rookie year made me reevaluate my belief that he can be a very good player in this league. I really didn’t expect him to put up huge numbers in his first year. I expect a steady progression in the next 2-3 seasons.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
*shrugs... TE position has never really been a big thing in Rams history, and I’ve never seen a transcendent player in horns that caught for over 1100 yards in a year. Yeah, Roland Williams did some things in ‘99: as did Ernie Conwell. Neither was a Tony Gonzales or Gronkowski. I hope for good things from Everett, but am not holding my breath.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Skill positions, with the exception of RB, historically need a season under the belt to really get going.

Everett showed some very promising things last season as a rookie.

If he emerges as a 2nd year player... his production would be a HUGE under the radar boost to our offense this year.

Like @LoyalRam Ive not really been a part of a huge season from the TE position. With the weapons on this offense, I’m not sure there are enough balls for huge numbers... but look out if things click with him and Goff.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Skill positions, with the exception of RB, historically need a season under the belt to really get going.

Everett showed some very promising things last season as a rookie.

If he emerges as a 2nd year player... his production would be a HUGE under the radar boost to our offense this year.

Like @LoyalRam Ive not really been a part of a huge season from the TE position. With the weapons on this offense, I’m not sure there are enough balls for huge numbers... but look out if things click with him and Goff.
I remember Hoolahan having a big impact before Georgia started her "Major Leage-ing of the Rams" and getting rid of all of Everett's help.
I just looked up his stats. His best season 59 catches 690 yards 3 TDs. Not bad, just not HUGE. If we get that out of one of our TEs with a few more TDs, that will really make this offense unstoppable.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Everett did some good and some bad things last year. Could have been making the transition to the NFL. I'm sure they gave him a lot to learn. I think the grind got to him. The thigh contusion week two didn't help.

The Good
IIRC D"Marco Farr said his blocking was surprisingly good.
He made some nice plays with a nice driving catch week one and a TD run inside later in the year.
Big game against Redskins week 2. He had 4 catches for 134 yards but, received thigh contusion in the game.

The Bad
Seemed to get outmuscled on missed end zone/sideline TD and didn't fight through contact. Slipped on inside slant at the goal line.
He had 3 drops and 1 fumbled (last week of season).

I thought he would get a little more action. The Rams didn't have him as the primary receiver much. He was an outlet-last resort option a lot which Goff would throw late to. Hard to make plays in those situations. It's going to be hard to get chances again this year as the Rams have Cooks, Woods, Cupp and Gurley all getting lots of targets. I look for Everett to make a big jump this year but, the numbers may not show it. We will have to see how McVay decides to use Everett. One possibility is Everett will be used in the end zone more now that big WR Watkins is gone.
It seems that Everett answered a lot of the questions, as to why maybe he wasn't more successful in his rookie year. Needs to learn the playbook, better, more chemistry, better team player, better blocker. That being said, he is really talented, and I expect him to have a more productive year. I have high hopes for our entire TE squad.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have high hopes for our entire TE squad.

It has to get better, but their position coach Shane Waldron is now pulling double duty being the "Passing Game Coordinator" along with TE Coach. IMO, the unit underachieved last season, so I hope Coach Waldron is up to the challenge as well.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
It has to get better, but their position coach Shane Waldron is now pulling double duty being the "Passing Game Coordinator" along with TE Coach. IMO, the unit underachieved last season, so I hope Coach Waldron is up to the challenge as well.
But since he's working with them directly, wouldn't you expect him to call plays that play to their strengths?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But since he's working with them directly, wouldn't you expect him to call plays that play to their strengths?
Maybe, I'm just making an evaluation that the unit on the offense that produced the least, their position coach received a promotion. Now much goes into it and I trust McVay, but I'm anxious to see that unit make more of an impact this season, especially Everett, who I expect to be counted on with some Jet Sweeps with his background as a running back.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I remember Hoolahan having a big impact before Georgia started her "Major Leage-ing of the Rams" and getting rid of all of Everett's help.
I just looked up his stats. His best season 59 catches 690 yards 3 TDs. Not bad, just not HUGE. If we get that out of oDon'tne of our TEs with a few more TDs, that will really make this offense unstoppable.
Don't forget Troy Drayton. he was "decent". Ernie Conwell and Jeff Robinson served well too. But the premise is correct that the Rams have never really "featured" their TE's in the way a lot of teams have come to doing

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
*shrugs... TE position has never really been a big thing in Rams history, and I’ve never seen a transcendent player in horns that caught for over 1100 yards in a year. Yeah, Roland Williams did some things in ‘99: as did Ernie Conwell. Neither was a Tony Gonzales or Gronkowski. I hope for good things from Everett, but am not holding my breath.
Oh .. .right! How could I forget Roland Williams?!??!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

How many tes in the history of the nfl hit the ground running in their rookie season?