Ernest Jones: Tutu Atwell has 'really taken the next step'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Ernest Jones: Tutu Atwell has 'really taken the next step'​

Is this the year Tutu Atwell finally breaks out for the Los Angeles Rams? He’s entering his third NFL season after being a second-round pick in 2021, catching only 18 passes in 21 games played thus far.

It seemed like last year would be Atwell’s time to break out, especially after Van Jefferson began the year on injured reserve. And while he showed signs of improvement, he still wasn’t a consistent factor on offense.

Now with Allen Robinson gone, Atwell once again has a clear path to playing time. Ernest Jones, for one, has seen progress from the third-year receiver and is impressed with the way he’s played in OTAs this spring.

“The matchups that the DBs get against Tutu,” Jones said when asked about the best matchups he’s seen this spring. “The O-line’s really communicating well, but that matchup with Tutu – Tutu’s really taken the next step. I’m super impressed with the way he’s attacking the ball right now. His ability is showing right now and he has some great ability.”

We heard a lot of good things about Atwell last offseason, too, only for him to finish the year with just 18 catches. He really didn’t get much playing time until Robinson and Cooper Kupp went down with injuries, essentially forcing Atwell into a more prominent role. Prior to Week 12, Atwell hadn’t played more than nine snaps in a single game.

The Rams could use a No. 3 receiver this season to start alongside Kupp and Jefferson, which is great news for Atwell. But he’ll need to beat out Ben Skowronek, Puka Nacua and now Tyler Johnson, among others.

As encouraging as Jones’ analysis is, Atwell still has a lot to prove in Year 3.

dang

Legend

Ernest Jones: Tutu Atwell has 'really taken the next step'​

Is this the year Tutu Atwell finally breaks out for the Los Angeles Rams? He’s entering his third NFL season after being a second-round pick in 2021, catching only 18 passes in 21 games played thus far.

It seemed like last year would be Atwell’s time to break out, especially after Van Jefferson began the year on injured reserve. And while he showed signs of improvement, he still wasn’t a consistent factor on offense.

Now with Allen Robinson gone, Atwell once again has a clear path to playing time. Ernest Jones, for one, has seen progress from the third-year receiver and is impressed with the way he’s played in OTAs this spring.

“The matchups that the DBs get against Tutu,” Jones said when asked about the best matchups he’s seen this spring. “The O-line’s really communicating well, but that matchup with Tutu – Tutu’s really taken the next step. I’m super impressed with the way he’s attacking the ball right now. His ability is showing right now and he has some great ability.”

We heard a lot of good things about Atwell last offseason, too, only for him to finish the year with just 18 catches. He really didn’t get much playing time until Robinson and Cooper Kupp went down with injuries, essentially forcing Atwell into a more prominent role. Prior to Week 12, Atwell hadn’t played more than nine snaps in a single game.

The Rams could use a No. 3 receiver this season to start alongside Kupp and Jefferson, which is great news for Atwell. But he’ll need to beat out Ben Skowronek, Puka Nacua and now Tyler Johnson, among others.

As encouraging as Jones’ analysis is, Atwell still has a lot to prove in Year 3.
Rams have WR3 set with a tandem of Jefferson, Skow and Tutu. What they need is a WR2. Jefferson will get a chance but needs to stay healthy and take a big step up.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams have WR3 set with a tandem of Jefferson, Skow and Tutu. What they need is a WR2. Jefferson will get a chance but needs to stay healthy and take a big step up.

van is the number 2. don't fight it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

btw, skow looks like goofy playing wr. it's just not right.

dang

Legend
van is the number 2. don't fight it.

He’ll certainly get his chance and I’m pulling for him. I’m looking beyond this year and not only do I have doubts for this year but he is likely gone.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Tutu is not gonna take Skow's job. 2 very different receivers with 2 very different skill sets. Skows job is pretty secure unless Puka balls out.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want Tutu to breakout, but the hell can you tell about him when everyone is playing in shorts?

Slow yur roll, slick!

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have two words for you: Creed Humphrey (as I duck and run for cover).
JK. Really hoping Tutu becomes something special. We always have the 49's taking Trey Lance in the 1st round
of a draft to make us feel better about the Tutu 2nd round pick.

dang

Legend
I think We all know what we have in Jefferson when he is healthy. We don’t know yet what we have in Atwell. Floor Tavon Austin?? Ceiling Desean Jackson??

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I want Tutu to breakout, but the hell can you tell about him when everyone is playing in shorts?

Slow yur roll, slick!
Nah, if you can't get excited as we enter the dog days of summer, when can you get excited? Training Camp & preseason games will be upon us soon enough, but for the time being, nothing wrong with having Tutu's dancing in your head upon a midnight dreary.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I have two words for you: Creed Humphrey (as I duck and run for cover).
JK. Really hoping Tutu becomes something special. We always have the 49's taking Trey Lance in the 1st round
of a draft to make us feel better about the Tutu 2nd round pick.
I still get a semi to the thought of currently having Jackson-Boom/Avila/Creed/Bruss/Hav as our starting line.

Sadly it will never come to pass

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah, if you can't get excited as we enter the dog days of summer, when can you get excited? Training Camp & preseason games will be upon us soon enough, but for the time being, nothing wrong with having Tutu's dancing in your head upon a midnight dreary.
I remember being excited about the next Marshall Faulk in preseason before pads, Trung Canidate....:laugh4:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Screw Creed Humphrey, he's not a Ram. Tutu is and if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.
"Love me, den! ~ Creed
kt2zd8F.jpg

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
...and everyone here would always remember their Creed: to never let anyone forget who else was available in round Two, Too....

I'm reeeeally looking forward to the Stafford to Atwell airshow that's coming this fall. It will generate some chunk yards and points through the air from someone not named Kupp and it can be done with a minimum of touches..

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
...and everyone here would always remember their Creed: to never let anyone forget who else was available in round Two, Too....

I'm reeeeally looking forward to the Stafford to Atwell airshow that's coming this fall. It will generate some chunk yards and points through the air from someone not named Kupp and it can be done with a minimum of touches..
Bruh, I'm getting 2100 yards this year! ~ Coop

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
When Jones says Atwell “has taken the next step”, I hope he doesn’t mean from “way-below average” to “below average”.

nighttrain

Legend
I think We all know what we have in Jefferson when he is healthy. We don’t know yet what we have in Atwell. Floor Tavon Austin?? Ceiling Desean Jackson?
I'm really thinking Desean Jackson, we know Atwell can play, question is his durability, that's to be seen.
train