Countdown to Camp: Rams cornerbacks should be a team strength

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ms-cornerbacks-the-best-ive-ever-played-with/

Eric Weddle: Rams cornerbacks the best I’ve ever played with

Safety Eric Weddle hasn’t played any games with the Rams yet, but he’s already drawn a couple of conclusions about his new teammates.

One of them is an opinion that probably formed after a minute or two of offseason work. Weddle called two-time defensive player of the year Aaron Donald “one of the best players in the NFL at all positions” and he’s unlikely to hear much dissent on that front.

Weddle also said that he’s been very impressed by what he’s seen from cornerbacks Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib in their first months working together in Wade Phillips’s defense.

“Those guys are super, super smart,” Weddle said during an appearance on NFL Network. “The instincts are off the charts. Play-making ability. . . . Those two are the best I’ve ever played with in my career of guys that play with vision, play the ball, understand routes, trust a safety that is going to alert them and put them in a position to make plays knowing that I have their backs. I’m extremely excited to get on the field with them, give ’em those live reps, live-game atmosphere and take this secondary to the next level.”

Weddle said earlier this offseason that he hopes his mentoring can push safety John Johnson to another level and the Rams have a capable slot corner in Nickell Robey-Coleman to fill out a secondary that they’ll hope looks as good on the field as it does on paper.

Psycho_X

Legend
trust a safety that is going to alert them and put them in a position to make plays knowing that I have their backs.

And I felt like this is what failed last season between Joyner and Peters. Aside from Talib being injured I don't think Peters and Joyner being a good match with each other was our primary issue in the secondary. Really looking forward to having those broken plays limited this season.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I think Joyner screwed up most and made Peters look more vulnerable when it was in fact Joyner blowing reads....

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also think Peters' injury hampered him for much of the season. He looked really good at the end of the season and in the Playoffs. I am really excited for our defensive backfield this season.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also think Peters' injury hampered him for much of the season. He looked really good at the end of the season and in the Playoffs. I am really excited for our defensive backfield this season.

Yes. Immediately after the bye - the first opportunity he had to rest - he played much better. As outsiders though, we can't tell for certain if the 2 weeks of rest finally allowed him to heal, or if it was Talib's return taking pressure off of him, or a combination of those factors.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

mike martz : john kitna is the best qb i've ever worked with.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

mike martz : john kitna is the best qb i've ever worked with.

Yeah, talent evaluation wasn't Mart'z strong suit. I think he drafted a wrestler once for the Oline. It worked out so well, I don't remember his name...

oldnotdead

Legend
Peters is undisciplined in his play. He free lances way to much. If that trend continues he won't be a Ram in 2020. He makes the team because of his high dead cap but he's basically been a bust. It's exactly why KC traded him. Overall the secondary look strong with the exception of CB depth. If Peters just basically plays like he did early in his career he would be fine. But even as late as the Cowboy playoff game he was still freelancing and it cost a TD. That's unacceptable and IMO Snead will not extend him if it continues. IMO Troy Hill has regressed and this too is a prove it year for him. If David Long shows he can play as a rookie (which wouldn't surprise me) I see Hill's snaps disappearing.

Considering how much Troy Hill struggled last year I would expect David Long to see snaps. If he plays up to expectations it will make it interesting next off season. Do they bring back Talib on a one year deal at the age of 34? I think not. I honestly think David Long is Talib's replacement. IMO this is Peter's one year prove it season. If he continues to break coverage he's gone next year. In that case they might bring back Talib for one year if there are no other FA options. Then I would expect them to draft a CB in round one or two.

That said it will be an interesting FA period next year. Both Ronald Darby and Bradley Roby probably will be FA's. Darby is a really good scheme fit for Phillips while Roby offers someone familiar with the scheme. Both are young enough to offer full 4 year contracts. Both would be immediate upgrades to Peters. This would allow the Rams to play Long as a first year starter on the #2 side and would offer an upgrade to Talib at this stage of his life as well. The Rams have the star power roster to draw FA's like these two. For Darby the size or Peter's current contract amount would be almost a 50% raise for him. The only issue with Darby is he is currently coming off a ACL from last Nov. If he stays healthy all season that shouldn't be a problem. Darby ran a 4.38 at his combine 4 years ago so even if he lost a step he would still have excellent speed.

The Rams are projected to have 9 picks and with limited number of needs I don't see them moving around as much as they have been. Needs are edge, CB (2), OLB and ILB with the rest as upgraded depth.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I too think there was way too much confusion between Peters and Joyner. It just seemed they were never really on the same page. I think Weddle changes that significantly.

oldnotdead

Legend
They upgraded Joyner's position with Weddle and Rapp and Johnson is solid. Peter's living on the early years, but his free wheeling style gets exploited too often for a team to tolerate. IMO he's gone next year. Both Roby and Darby both are going to be UFA next year. Either one would be an instant upgrade, and each would love to have Peter's money.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.therams.com/news/countdown-to-camp-rams-cornerbacks-should-be-a-team-strength
Countdown to Camp: Rams cornerbacks should be a team strength
Myles Simmons
It’s the final week of summer break for the Rams, as staff, players, and coaches will check in for training camp at UC Irvine starting next Tuesday.But today, we’re continuing our Countdown to Camp series by taking a look at Los Angeles’ cornerbacks.

zwlvjsfdfg7dfyajgbmc.jpg

CORNERBACKS
Newcomers: David Long Jr.

The Rams group of cornerbacks remains largely intact from 2018 heading into this new season. The group did lose veteran corner Sam Shields in free agency, but each of the starters — Aqib Talib, Marcus Peters, and slot corner Nickell Robey-Coleman — are all back for a second year together as the leads of the group.

Talib missed half the season in 2018 due to an ankle injury, but came off of injured reserve in early December. His play was a significant part of Los Angeles’ defensive improvement down the stretch. In 11 games with Talib — including postseason — the Rams allowed 17.8 points per game and 321.1 yards per game. In eight games without the veteran corner? Los Angeles allowed 401.3 yards per game and 30.8 points per game.

On the opposite side, Peters certainly benefitted from Talib’s presence. But defensive coordinator Wade Phillips also got to know Peters and his skillset better throughout the course of the season. Starting all 16 games, Peters intercepted three passes and recorded eight passes defensed in his fourth pro season.

One element of this season to watch: Both Talib and Peters are entering the final year of their current contracts. Peters is at the end of his rookie deal, but even at the age of 33, Talib hasn’t shown signs of slowing down.

Robey-Coleman has excelled as Los Angeles’ slot corner since initially signing with the club in free agency during the 2017 offseason. Last year, Robey-Coleman recorded an interception, four passes defensed, and three tackles for loss. For what it’s worth, Robey-Coleman led all NFC West corners with a 82.6 grade from Pro Football Focus.

Likely the first man off the bench, cornerback Troy Hill has been with the club since Week 17 of the 2015 season and recently put pen to paper on a two-year contract to keep him in L.A. through 2020. Hill started most of the games when Talib was on injured reserve, playing the early downs while Shields came on the field in known-passing situations. Hill intercepted two passes and recorded five passes defensed in 2018.

The only newcomer in the position group, David Long Jr. is a Los Angeles native and should be ready to contribute sooner than later. The No. 79 overall pick in this year’s draft, Long was a terrific cover corner at Michigan where — also according to PFF — he allowed just 18 receptions on 60 targets for 130 yards.

For depth, Kevin Peterson is returning from tearing his ACL during the Rams’ first preseason game at Baltimore last year. He looked poised to be a significant piece during the early going of training camp in 2018, after impressing in Week 17 of the 2017 regular season by making a pair of interceptions off 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo. Peterson also had five passes defensed in that game.

Dominique Hatfield also has significant experience with the Rams, having been with the club since 2017. He’s bounced between the active roster and the practice squad a couple times, and has mainly contributed on special teams.

Rounding out the group, Los Angeles brought Darious Williams to the club off waivers in October from the Ravens. He played sparingly on special teams, but was mainly inactive on gameday. Dont’e Deayon and Ramon Richards spent last season on Los Angeles’ practice squad.