Emmitt Smith ranks NFL's top five running backs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Emmitt Smith ranks NFL's top five running backs
Rana L. Cash @ranacashSN

243955-650-366.jpg

LeSean McCoy and Adrian Peterson (AP Photo)

LeSean McCoy stuck his chest out and said what was on his mind. Give Shady some points on this one. It’s not every day someone is courageous enough to elevate himself above the perceived best running back in the game. But that’s what McCoy did when he said that he is now better than Adrian Peterson.

Of course, Peterson scoffed.

So did arguably the best running back of all time: Emmitt Smith. Smith told Sporting News how he’d rank the top five in the game today.

• 1. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings: "He's at the top of the list, without a doubt. He's done it the longest and been the most consistent at it."

2. LeSean McCoy, Philadelphia Eagles: "Shady McCoy is second. He has increased his productivity over the last couple of years and I anticipate his productivity (will) continue because he's in a system that's a little bit more spread out than Adrian's. He probably has a little bit more opportunity in space to make things happen than Adrian Peterson does."

3. Arian Foster, Houston Texans: "Shortly after that, you can bounce around a little bit. You can go to Arian Foster or … "

4. Matt Forte, Chicago Bears: "But you still have to throw in … "

5. Marshawn Lynch, Seattle Seahawks: "Beast Mode up in Seattle. Beast Mode was very consistent. He's been a Pro Bowler. That would round out the top five."

Smith also mentioned the Kansas City Chiefs' Jamaal Charles, the San Francisco 49ers' Frank Gore and Ray Rice of the Baltimore Ravens as contenders for the top five.

"When you start naming running backs, there's a number of running backs that have been productive more than one year," Smith said. "Adrian Peterson is the most consistent out of all of the running backs. There are a number of guys we could talk about. Shady McCoy is making giant strides. Jamaal Charles, I'm looking for him over the next few years to do it again, and then I'll move him into my top five. All of these guys on my list have produced on a consistent basis for the last three or four years."

PhxRam

I think I would be a little leery around a guy who calls himself "shady"

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
McCoy is stealing the #1 spot next year if he hasn't taken it already. Philly knows how to use the dude and their offense keeps you guessing. Peterson is a beast but he isn't able to be the threat McCoy is anymore because he has slim pickings for support.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It is my hope that this is the year Lynch realizes he is getting old. For a RB.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Well the first mistake of this article (IMO) was declaring Smith as "arguably the best running back of all time".

Personally, I put less weight on longevity than I do a host of other performance measurements. FWIW, I consider the following RB's as superior to Smith under the following criteria:

Most Elusive: B. Sanders
Best Pure Runner: E. Dickerson
Pure Runner-Elusive: OJ Simpson
Best (combined) Runner & Receiver: M Faulk

Naturally, we all have an opinion.

PolarBear

Rookie
I think Charles should have been ranked #3 but no other huge complaints from me.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Three of these players will be facing the Rams this year. their stats will suffer for it!;)