Eagles turned down trade offer by Browns for Nick Foles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...e-earlier-this-offseason?campaign=Twitter_atn

Eagles declined Nick Foles-Browns trade earlier this offseason
By Michael Silver

i

ESPN.com

Shortly before the start of the league year, the Philadelphia Eagles turned down a potential trade that would have sent Super Bowl LII MVP Nick Foles to the Cleveland Browns for the 35th overall pick in the 2018 draft, according to three sources familiar with the talks.

Before rejecting the deal, two sources said, the Eagles ran the scenario by Foles, who said he preferred to remain in Philadelphia. In April, the Eagles and Foles agreed to a re-worked contract that gave him a $2 million bonus for 2018 and allowed him to earn up to $14 million in incentives, while creating a "mutual option" for him to remain with the team in 2019. (Basically, Foles is free to leave if he pays back the $2 million.)

The Browns, meanwhile, turned their attention to former Buffalo Bills starter Tyrod Taylor, who they acquired for a third-round pick on March 10. Cleveland later selected former Oklahoma star Baker Mayfield with the first overall pick of the draft, though coach Hue Jackson has declared that Taylor will be his unequivocal starter for 2018. With the 35th pick -- the second of their two second-rounders -- the Browns selected Georgia running back Nick Chubb.

The decision not to trade Foles reflected the Eagles' immense regard for his abilities, which were showcased during the team's NFC championship game blowout of the Minnesota Vikings and again in the epic Super Bowl triumphover the Patriots.

It was also based on the uncertainty regarding the status of third-year franchise quarterback Carson Wentz, who tore his ACL in a December victory over the Los Angeles Rams and theoretically might not be ready for the team's Sept. 6 regular season opener against the Atlanta Falcons at Lincoln Financial Field -- though the team is optimistic that Wentz will be able to meet that timeline.

It's also possible that Foles could still be sent elsewhere before the start of the 2018 season, or at any point up to the Tuesday, Oct. 30 trade deadline.

Two Septembers ago, five days after Vikings starting quarterback Teddy Bridgewater suffered a severe knee injury in practice, the Eagles dealt starter Sam Bradford to Minnesota for first- and fourth-round picks -- a move that allowed Wentz, then a rookie, to ascend to the top of the depth chart just before the start of the regular season.

If a similar scenario were to present itself this summer, the Eagles could possibly be open to parting with Foles, especially if they were offered a first-round pick in return.

It's also possible that Foles could be dealt shortly before the trade deadline, especially if Wentz has established that he is fully healthy. Last Oct. 30, the Patriots sent promising backup Jimmy Garoppolo to the 49ers for a second-round pick.

In the meantime, Foles remains the NFL's highest-profile backup quarterback -- a role with which he is clearly comfortable, given his preference that the Eagles reject the Browns' overtures.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Foles gold.

I seriously doubt that Foles success in Philly will be a common occurrence for the rest of his career. But, he is a good back up and any team with a running QB as the starter needs a good backup. Philly should just hang onto him.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I think that the Eagles know, despite public pronouncements to the contrary, that there is a good chance that Carson Wentz won’t be ready by opening day. They’d be crazy to rush him back.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Crazy to rush him back and crazy not to have a backup for a QB that plays like Wentz.

Deshaun Foster of the Texans plays a similar style and look what happened to the Texans without a competent starter.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Hey Foles, how do you feel about maybe going to Cleveland?

"Fuck You!"

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t put much stock in these alleged “trades that didn’t happen” bit.
If Cleveland had their sites on Foles, they would have gotten him. And if the price was right, the Eagles wouldn’t care what Foles thought.

Psycho_X

Legend
This article created quite the spat on twitter between Mike Folio and Mike Silver. Silver pretty much laid the smackdown on him. Was pretty funny.

sounds like a lot of real journalists hate Folio too lol.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They don't call him Foolio for nothin.

Re: the Eagles... Got mad respect for Howie Roseman. Keeping Foles, first off, is a wise decision for the organization, but more importantly it sounds like they would have moved him to the Browns if he wished. Class org right there. HR is at the top of his class right now IMO.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This article created quite the spat on twitter between Mike Folio and Mike Silver. Silver pretty much laid the smackdown on him. Was pretty funny.

sounds like a lot of real journalists hate Folio too lol.

Pure comedy gold. (y)

Foolio is a hack. It's time others in the media called him on it. Here's something interesting to note; I got the article in the OP from a link in a PFT article. That article has been removed from the PFT site. If Mike Foolio thought the story was b.s. then why did his site post it in the first place?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Whether the trade allegations are true or not, I'm happy for Foles that he doesn't have to put his career in jeopardy with the Browns.

Ram65

Legend
Eagles are better off keeping Foles. You just don't know when Wentz comes back healthy and there is no sense playing him too early. He is also a higher injury risk moving forward with his running ability. Foles going to Browns would have been as a stopgap starter. Eagles gave Foles more money and a 2019 option.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...tract-to-include-2m-bonus-2019-mutual-option/

Seems like Silver didn't make this up.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I got Florio over Silver:argue:...in a bare knuckle match:boxing:....just sayin;):rolllaugh:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Smart decision by Philly. I gotta think they might be concerned about Wentz being ready to go in September. I also have to wonder about Wentz's future regarding injuries. He's a bigger QB but his style of play is risky. The ACL was the most serious and not the first injury he's had. He also missed time in college.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Got mad respect for Howie Roseman. Keeping Foles, first off, is a wise decision for the organization, but more importantly it sounds like they would have moved him to the Browns if he wished. Class org right there. HR is at the top of his class right now IMO.

It was a great PR move for sure, hats off to him.

Eagles are better off keeping Foles. You just don't know when Wentz comes back healthy and there is no sense playing him too early. He is also a higher injury risk moving forward with his running ability.

It was a smart move too LOL. Wentz is probably going to get hurt again on or about December 16th

Foles: "Go to the vast QB graveyard? Not only no but freak NO!"

The jersey has been retired in honor of the Cavs winning the NBA title and ending the curse. But it HAD to be posted in this thread.

la-sp-cleveland-cavaliers-browns-qb-jersey-20160621-snap.jpg

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I remember emailing Florio very early in his career that the only sources he heard were the voices inside his head and he responded ha.