Browns to sign LB Mychal Kendricks...or not

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He'd be a nice addition vs the run but I doubt the Rams are willing to make room for him cap-wise.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Once they changed defenses, he wasn't so much of a scheme fit. But as DR stated, he was still beating out the competition. He is a sideline to sideline run stuffer. He still fits the 3/4 defense. Pittsburgh hasn't found Shaziers replacement, so they may have interest. New England probably would to now.

I'd take him for the Rams but I don't think they can afford to outbid other teams. They would have to cut someone. Hendricks is a west coaster iirc. Maybe he will do a cheap one year deal to come back home and join the party.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Bye bye Mark Barron hello kendricks.

Only way it would happen, if son of bum gives it the green light of course. I get the feeling at some point these health issues w/ Baron just might end up with the team being forced to part ways on a injury settlement I fear. Again just my 2 cents

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/mychal-kendricks-released-eagles-linebacker-20180522.html

by Jeff McLane

Before the team made the move official, Kendricks confirmed his release via text message, but the 27-year-old declined to go into detail about the circumstances. He later told former Eagles linebacker Emmanuel Acho, who now works for ESPN, that he balked when asked to take a $4.5 million pay cut from his $6 million salary for 2018.

The Eagles designated Kendricks’ release as post-June 1, according to an NFL source, and thus will save $6 million from their salary cap this year. The remaining $1.6 million of his $7.6 million cap figure will count against next year’s ledger.

Kendricks hasn’t been happy about his role with the Eagles for years, even before a new regime took over two years ago. But he saw his playing time drastically decrease after Jim Schwartz became defensive coordinator in 2016. The Eagles tried to trade him during the 2017 offseason, as per his request, asking for a fifth-round draft pick, but he remained on the roster.

The decision to keep Kendricks paid off after Jordan Hicks suffered a season-ending Achilles tendon rupture in October. He took Hicks’ snaps in the Eagles’ nickel defense, alongside fellow linebacker Nigel Bradham, and played consistently, if not as spectacularly as he did from 2013-15.

The Eagles won the Super Bowl, of course, but that didn’t stop Kendricks from being on the trading block this offseason. The Eagles signed Corey Nelson to one-year contract at the start of free agency, and when the former Broncos linebacker was asked where he would play, he said the team told him that he would compete for the weak-side spot — Kendricks’ position.

A few weeks later during the owners meetings, Eagles executive Howie Roseman was asked Kendricks’ future.

But the Eagles were once again trying to deal Kendricks, according to several league sources. They just couldn’t find a trade partner before or after the draft, and when organized team activities opened on Tuesday, he declined to take 75 percent pay cut. His market may not be significant, but he will likely earn more than that number with his next team.

Kendricks was spotted walking in street clothes at the NovaCare Complex, but his absence at practice was initially attributed to the minor ankle surgery he underwent in March. News of his release, however, broke a few hours later after coach Doug Pederson and players had been made available to reporters.

The Eagles had no comment beyond their announcement.

Kendricks spent six seasons in Philadelphia. Selected in the second round of the 2012 draft, he started from Day 1. He endured two scheme changes during his tenure — moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in 2013 and back to a 4-3 in 2016 — but his best moments came as a 3-4 inside linebacker alongside DeMeco Ryans.

Freed to play in space, Kendricks recorded 336 tackles, 15 tackles for losses, eleven sacks, three interceptions and five forced fumbles during that span. But injuries, particularly of the soft-tissue kind, kept him out of the lineup for extended periods and when Schwartz came aboard he was nudged out by Bradham on passing downs.

Kendricks played only 27 percent of the time in 2016 and even with 2017’s uptick in snaps (59 percent), he failed to force a turnover in the last two seasons.

Ram65

Legend
Before the team made the move official, Kendricks confirmed his release via text message, but the 27-year-old declined to go into detail about the circumstances. He later told former Eagles linebacker Emmanuel Acho, who now works for ESPN, that he balked when asked to take a $4.5 million pay cut from his $6 million salary for 2018.

That's a steep pay cut the Eagles were asking. Wonder what he ends up getting paid.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Kendricks speed...but haven't noticed him as a player....
(he's one of those guys that Jrry would say, he runs this but doesn't produce)
Don't know if he'd be better than Barron...probably more durable...

But I wouldn't trade Mark Barron for no one...not now...probably not ever...he plays with some passion

Ram65

Legend

But I wouldn't trade Mark Barron for no one...not now...probably not ever...he plays with some passion

Found this article that shows some plays Kendricks made. He really has some great closing speed. He can cover and blitz off the edge. He isn't perfect as he overran the back on the outside but still got a piece of him. I'm interested considering Barron's health, Obo's foot, and Longacre's recovery.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...film-breakdown-mychal-kendricks-20171101.html
Film Breakdown: The return of the good Mychal Kendricks
Updated: NOVEMBER 1, 2017 — 6:01 PM EDT
by @Jeff_McLane | jmclane@phillynews.com

Each week this season, we’ll have an oral history of a play, trend or scheme from the Eagles’ previous game using the coaches all-22 film. This week, we spotlight Mychal Kendricks. The linebacker has played well all season, but with his increased role following Jordan Hicks’ season-ending injury, he flashed in each phase of the Eagles’ defensive-minded win over the 49ers on Sunday

Kendricks has been vocal about playing more dating back to last year. He asked to be traded this offseason, and just last month said that he was frustrated playing only in base personnel.

Eagles linebacker Nigel Bradham: Sometimes you got to look at what’s best for the defense. That’s all that was at first. We got nickel packages and only two linebackers out there. What are you going to do, take me or Hicks off? It’s just one of those situations. We’re loaded at linebacker. We got three great backers.

But he got his wish when Hicks suffered an Achilles tendon rupture last week. It may not be exactly how he wanted the job, but Kendricks is now exclusively playing alongside Bradham in the Eagles’ nickel package.

Kendricks: I know what I can do. So that part doesn’t matter. I feel like if you’re not in there, you’re not playing, when you get your chance you ain’t got [nothing] to lose. So you play free and that’s a good feeling.

SETTING THE TONE
Kendricks helped the Eagles defense set the tone with a series of plays he made on the 49ers’ opening drive. On the first play from scrimmage, running back Carlos Hyde ran toward a crease filled by defensive tackle Fletcher Cox, but Kendricks motored in from the weak side and helped clean up.

Kendricks: I just think the first series the plays came to me. It wasn’t like anything we drew up.

CLOSING SPEED
A few plays later, the 49ers threw out of “21” (two running backs, one tight end) personnel vs. Eagles’ base. Kendricks read quarterback C.J. Beathard’s eyes and sidestepped to his left. With Joe Walker, who replaced Hicks as the base middle linebacker, covering Garrett Celek, Kendricks broke toward Beathard and forced him to throw at his tight end’s feet.

Kendricks, who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.47 seconds at the 2012 combine, still has remarkable closing speed.

Bradham: He had the fastest combine. We came out the same year. I was like the fifth-fastest linebacker. It’s nice [having two fast linebackers]. It’s like cheating. It’s like being on a video game and you got two speed guys just making plays.

OPEN-FIELD TACKLING
Even the best defensive players are going to miss tackles. Kendricks had become a liability in the open field earlier in his career. He’s been much better the last two years, and entering the 49ers game, had yet to miss a tackle, per Pro Football Focus.

He missed a few on Sunday. That’s bound to happen in Jim Schwartz’s downhill defense. But Kendricks diagnosed the below flip to Matt Breida and made enough contact to slow the running back for cornerback Jalen Mills.

And on a later play, Kendricks initially bounced off Kyle Juszczyk, but he rebounded and helped safety Rodney McLeod bring the safety down.

Kendricks: I missed two. They didn’t go any further than where I missed. I slowed the guy down, but I definitely could have had two tackles. But I’m not missing tackles where they’re breaking.

Beathard isn’t as elusive or fast as other quarterbacks, but he did rush for 40 yards on six carries against the Eagles. On the below play, Kendricks flashed his speed and tackling ability when he broke off his coverage and wrapped up the quarterback for a sack.

Kendricks: [Beathard] can move, too. He’s mobile. I’ll take it however I can get it.

PASS COVERAGE
The following play could illustrate Kendricks’ improved tackling, as well, but what was most impressive was how he used his eyes to read Beathard on a play-action bootleg and managed to keep tabs on tight end George Kittle.

Kendricks’ best play of the game may have come early in the fourth quarter. The 49ers were still trailing by 20 points, but they had advanced to the Eagles’ 9-yard line. Kendricks’ responsibility was to cover Breida out of the backfield.

Kendricks: It’s a two-way go for the back, so you want to be patient on that. It’s a short-yardage play for them. They’re in the red zone. … It’s just staying patient, staying inside-out on that. Got a little bit outside and I made a good recovery, to be quite honest.

Kendricks had struggled to cover tailbacks before Schwartz arrived. He had a particularly forgettable day against the Lions on Thanksgiving, 2015.

Schwartz: He made a great play in the red zone knocking that ball down. That’s a tough matchup. That guy is running an angle route and Mych’s athletic ability showed there. That was a big stop in that game.

“WOW” PLAYS
From 2013-14, Kendricks recorded eight sacks, three interceptions, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. He calls those types of plays “Wow” plays. In the past, he had occasionally sacrificed sound defense in the pursuit of game-changing plays. He’s playing more disciplined football now.

The 49ers’ only touchdown came on a 22-yard shovel pass to Breida. It can be an effective play to counter an aggressive front. It’s unclear if Breida was Kendricks’ responsibility or Bradham’s, or if the latter was to cover the former if he rushed. Kendricks rushed and took the bait.

Kendricks: We don’t want any [missed assignments]. I don’t get too many plays. When I’m in there I try to make the most of it. That means sacrificing the ‘Wow’ plays to be in the right spot. Sometimes players get ahead of themselves and try to make things happen and I’m just letting them come to me.

BLITZING

Kendricks is blitzing more. He rushed the quarterback on only 7.6 percent of passing downs last season. This year he’s rushed 15.5 percent of the time. He has two sacks and two hurries in only 27 rushes. On this play, he blitzed off the edge and was unblocked, but his acceleration forced Beathard to hurry.

Schwartz: I think he’s done a nice job with what we’ve asked him to do. I can go farther than covering running backs, but he’s been a good blitzer, he’s covered man-to-man well, and he’s done a good job in our zone coverages.

Kendricks: I’m six years in. I know how to play football. It’s not like I’m thinking, ‘I’m the guy.’ I’m just another player.

Get insights on the Eagles delivered straight to your inbox with Early Birds, beat writer Zach Berman’s newsletter for Eagles fans. Click here to sign up.

Published: November 1, 2017 — 6:02 PM EDT

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The local knock on him is he doesn't make enough big plays... no INTs or FFs in the last two years I believe.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Let me sway your mind, Champ...
Mark Barron ....4.56 in the 40
Mychal Kendricks...4.47 in the 40.

That's all you need to know. BOOM.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
He lost his job when Schwartz came to town. The only reason he played anything at all last year is the starter tore his achilles.

Ram65

Legend
The local knock on him is he doesn't make enough big plays... no INTs or FFs in the last two years I believe.

True but, Bradham who played a lot more only has 1 INT and 3 FF in the past two years. Rams need a guy who can tackle and track down runners. They really don't have anyone with his speed at Lber.

You could be right.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Id love to get him but he has to know his value. He's a part time player.

dang

Legend
Kendricks was a top 10 LB according to PFF in 2017. He is owed $3.2M dead cap by PHI this year. Assumiong he could be picked up for another $3M.

Who would Rams have to get cut and/or renegotiate contracts to pick up Kendricks:
- cut Hager - save $700K
- renegotiate Barron - save $3M

dang

Legend
Kendricks was a top 10 LB according to PFF in 2017. He is owed $3.2M dead cap by PHI this year. Assumiong he could be picked up for another $3M.

Who would Rams have to get cut and/or renegotiate contracts to pick up Kendricks:
- cut Hager - save $700K
- renegotiate Barron - save $3M
Check that - lets say he willing to go to the right team for another $1.5M prove it deal

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
The problem was that he didn't think he should only be playing for 40% of the snaps. So not only was he already upset with Scwartz for his lack of playing time, but now he probably felt insulted by their asking to take a pay cut on top of that.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Let me sway your mind, Champ...
Mark Barron ....4.56 in the 40
Mychal Kendricks...4.47 in the 40.

That's all you need to know. BOOM.
Since when did being a good linebacker become all about speed? Dick Butkus and Brian Urlacher would like to know.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I agree with what you're saying, I just don't think Kendricks does, especially since he had more playing time before Shwartz got there. But now he'll have to settle at best for a prove it contract.