DT or Blackmon?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do you take, if you're Fisher? That means knowing his tendancies.

• 1. Blackmon. We need playmakers badly.

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • 2. The best DT. Our rush defense has been bad long enough.

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm not going to list any particular DT, because there appears to be a difference of opinion as to who would be the ideal fit for the Rams. So for the sake of discussion, I'm asking who you'd prefer the Rams take at #6 *IF* Blackmon is still there and Cox/Brockers/Poe are also there (very likely).

What's more important? Shoring up the defense and getting a receiver later in the draft (of which there are many), or going for the "sure-fire" WR while he's sitting there and hoping one of the upper-tier DTs are still around at 33? Again, this scenario only applies to the availability of Blackmon. Not Richardson or Claiborne.

Just curious about how the board lines up on how Fisher views team building at the moment.

bluecoconuts

Legend
If Blackmon is on the board, the only player I would want them to draft instead would be if by some miracle Kalil drops.

I'm all for DT's and whatnot, but we need offense. Unless they feel that Blackmon is incredibly overrated and will bust out of the league, I think they need to grab him. Without an offense our defense will always get gassed in the 4th quarter, they need some playmakers to build around Sam before we destroy him. If a franchise LT isn't there (Kalil) then get a #1 WR.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DT. If the Rams can't stop the run they can't win in the NFC west div. Right now and it's Langford and ????

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
So in this scenario Blackmon is the man out in the "big 4?" I'd take Blackmon in a heartbeat. None of these DT are top 10 material imo. There's absolutely no reason to reach (imo dramatically.)

Seriously man. We could trade down to close to the end of the 1st round and still end up with one of these guys (DTs) if we wanted.

Id rather have Reiff there if not Blackmon even. Maybe take Ingram.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Username said:
So in this scenario Blackmon is the man out in the "big 4?" I'd take Blackmon in a heartbeat. None of these DT are top 10 material imo. There's absolutely no reason to reach (imo dramatically.)

Seriously man. We could trade down to close to the end of the 1st round and still end up with one of these guys (DTs) if we wanted.
Wear your avatar and make the decision. You're Jeff Fisher. The guy who doesn't take wide receivers early in the draft very often. You've also signed a wide receiver, have 3 coming back, and are looking to add another (Cotchery). I disagree that most of the DTs in this draft will sink to the bottom. Cox and Brockers (and possibly Poe) will be gone by 16 or 17, IMO. This isn't a personal preference thing. I'm asking you to assume the role of Fisher here.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I can't be ze Fish without having access to ze Fishes brain. I need scouting access/time beyond my internets screw off time haha.

Who's off the board by now?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's his history (essentially his brain). Off the board is Luck, Griffin, Richardson, Kalil and Claiborne.

1999 - Jevon Kearse

2000 - Keith Bulluck

2001 - Traded to the St. Louis Rams for Kevin Carter. The Rams picked Ryan Pickett, DT from Ohio State

2002 - Albert Haynesworth

2003 - Andre Woolfolk

2004 - Traded to the Houston Texans along with a fifth-rounder for the Texans' second, third, fourth, and fifth-round picks. The Texans selected Jason Babin, DE out of Western Michigan.

2005 - Adam "Pacman" Jones

2006 - Vince Young

2007 - Michael Griffin

2008 - Chris Johnson

2009 - Kenny Britt

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Kenny Britt was the last pick though. I'm not big on history either though. You gotta think about Sneads history too. I honestly don't think they would reach for someone if there was a player on the board that they had ranked much higher. Who knows how they have them ranked though.

I'd probably talk to the Lions and tell them they're getting a very high 4th overall pick for Sammie Lee Hill. Convince them to not draw the price on him too much. Then I'd try my hardest to get Chris Long restructured to free up cap space before the draft. If talks stalemated I'd consider drafting Ingram (if were going off Fishes history especially.) If he resigns, and we can get some extra space, Id draft Blackmon.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yamahopper said:
DT. If the Rams can't stop the run they can't win in the NFC west div. Right now and it's Langford and ????

Can't win if they can't score more than 12 points a game...in an NFL era where offensive records are being set every year....

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Angry Ram said:
Yamahopper said:

Can't win if they can't score more than 12 points a game...in an NFL era where offensive records are being set every year....
And the debate rages on. The question becomes, can you get an impact DT with a later pick? Can you get an impact WR with a later pick?

Both positions are deep in this draft. I don't think Snisher is focused on any one prospect or position at 6. I think they'd prefer to trade down and get more picks.

steferfootball

Starter
Angry Ram said:
Yamahopper said:

Yep. WR is the biggest need on this team imo. We need a true number one guy - Blackmon is that imo.

As for a run stuffing DT, those can be found at many points in the draft. We have two second rounders remember. We could potentially come away with a tackle, wide reciver, and DT in the first two rounds.

Having extra draft picks is fun. :cool:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
steferfootball said:
Angry Ram said:
Yamahopper said:

Yep. WR is the biggest need on this team imo. We need a true number one guy - Blackmon is that imo.

As for a run stuffing DT, those can be found at many points in the draft. We have two second rounders remember. We could potentially come away with a tackle, wide reciver, and DT in the first two rounds.

Sorry I respectfully disagree. Blackmon is very good, but don't see him as a true #1. Further more I think many teams have him pegged as a slot, not a X. He is very polished and ready to go but how much upside does he have, can he take his game up a few notches or is he maxed. I am wary of Big 12 WR's, especially ones with the best QB in the Big 12.

I think there will be better value in the 2nd with Randle, Sanu, and maybe Hill.
But to be fair I went back and re evaled. him and and found a recent Big 12 comparable that is now a known commodity
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voprccSVyz4[/youtube].

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sy7HS2TSuM[/youtube]

Be wary of Big12 wr's.
I would fully support him if he is the pick and he would be a big help. But I'm looking for upside not a possession WR.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'm not over the moon on Blackmon, not by a long shot. But if we played who's the bigger value @ #6, then it's going to be Blackmon all day long. It's a great point that there will be two more picks at the top of round two and there will be a good DT or two left there. Hell, there could be an outside chance that Devon Still, Brandon Thompson and Ta'amu are all there at the top of round 2 which would be a dream come true for a team in need of a DT.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Im not a big fan of Blackmon. Im sure yall know that. But I still have him rated higher than any of the DTs. Higher grade + Position of need = Draft Blackmon

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yamahopper said:
steferfootball said:
Angry Ram said:
Yamahopper said:

Sorry I respectfully disagree. Blackmon is very good, but don't see him as a true #1. Further more I think many teams have him pegged as a slot, not a X. He is very polished and ready to go but how much upside does he have, can he take his game up a few notches or is he maxed. I am wary of Big 12 WR's, especially ones with the best QB in the Big 12.

I think there will be better value in the 2nd with Randle, Sanu, and maybe Hill.
But to be fair I went back and re evaled. him and and found a recent Big 12 comparable that is now a known commodity

Be wary of Big12 wr's.
I would fully support him if he is the pick and he would be a big help. But I'm looking for upside not a possession WR.

You can't compare DX and Blackmon. DX had 5 (and counting) knee surgeries that has severly limited his production.

Blackmon is much more than a possesion WR. He can get deep and a great route runner. He can also get seperation.

I don't think it's fair to use his conference. Good players can come from anywhere, from OK State or South State Cosmetality College.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Angry Ram said:
Yamahopper said:
steferfootball said:
Angry Ram said:
Yamahopper said:

Be wary of Big12 wr's.

You can't compare DX and Blackmon. DX had 5 (and counting) knee surgeries that has severly limited his production.

Blackmon is much more than a possesion WR. He can get deep and a great route runner. He can also get seperation.

I don't think it's fair to use his conference. Good players can come from anywhere, from OK State or South State Cosmetality College.

Thanks. I forgot to throw Dez Bryant under the Big 12 bus.
DX had 3 knee surgeries at that point, 2 major and a scope and even though he was limited he was still dominate in the Big12. As dominate as Blackmon.

To me the're not the same player but comparable in systems and results. Not only did they play in the Big 12, they played against some of the same players. Pass defense is more a theory than a practice in the Big 12. The land of 10 yard cushions and bubble screens. Press coverage must be against league rules.

All three of them counting Bryant were dominate in the Big 12 and we have seen how 2 of them have translated to the NFL. If Blackmon had did this well in the SEC it would be more impressive.

So here's a question to ponder. Would you take Dez Bryant at #6 knowing how he has preformed for the Cowgirls? And Bryant is a return man too. He might be a closer comparable.

But when I pick a WR around #6 I want to see this.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uosTUGDIdx0[/youtube]

steferfootball

Starter
Dez Bryant is immensely talented and he shows it on the feild.

His problems are off the feild. I'd take him at 6 without the character concerns.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Yes. In the same scenario I would easily take Dez Bryant.

Anonymous

Angry Ram said:
Yamahopper said:

Yeah they can.

If they allow fewer. :cool:

They won't be a 12 point a game offense this year. Everyone's more experienced, they will have an off-season to know the offense, hopefully they will not get the long list of OL and qb and WR injuries they did last year, and the line will be more stable. You can't go by last year. Everything that could go wrong, did.

They need playmakers and they need defense.

The difference is this. Neglect the defense and a young offense then has to play from behind a lot. It's not positioned to do that, no matter who they add. Strengthen the defense and the a young offense plays with a lead more. They can handle that more efficiently, even if they add no one.

And there will always be playmakers to add. The question is what's the priority right now, in year one of a new coach's regime.