DR's Notes on Ram's vs. Cards II

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
DR's Notes on Ram's vs. Cards II

This is going to be more of a first half blog than anything with a few DR's observations thrown in.
Observation: Before the game, looking at the Rams on the sidelines, they appeared to be excited, and loose. Didn't look like a team that didn't want to play or have quit.

Things that got the DR's attention:

- Steven Jackson, second play from scrimmage, busted through a tight hole up the middle and, if not tripped by the turf monster, probably would have scored a long rushing TD. I had to wonder, " Is this a sign of another strange game of mishaps?".
Observation: After the trip, Jackson smacked himself around quite a bit. He was visibly upset. Could have been a TD, he had one safety to beat and he was out of position.

- Goldberg gets blown backwards on the next running attempt.
Observation: Oh no, he didn't bring his big boy pants, why did they move him to the left side!!!

- 3 - 9 Opening drive, the Rams line up in Wildcat formation. Jackson takes the direct snap performs a sloppy fake to Lloyd and runs off tackle into the 6 hole. Except, Goldberg gets beat so bad on the backside of the play that Jackson gets dragged down before he can hit the hole.
Observation: #@#!%$ Goldberg. Wildcat on 3 - 9? Really. Well, I get this later. The crowd boos for the first time as the Rams run off the field.

- Donnie Jones with a booming 36 yard punt.
Observation: #@#!%$ Jones! Can we just pin them deep? We played it safe to pin them deep you #@#!%$ ! At least he didn't punt to Peterson.

- Cards first play from scrimmage. Rams 8 men in the box and Wells gains 6 easy yards on a simple toss play. Second play from scrimmage, Rams 9 men in the box, Beanie gets an easy first down.
Observation: Oh crap, it's going to be a long day.

- Huge hit and sack by Darian Stewart causing the Cards to punt.
Observation: Makes me proud to see this budding superstar. Yep, I said it. I think he's in the top 3 defensive players that we have.

- Nick Miller returns a punt for 88 yards and a TD.
Observation: Zastudil punt went 55 yards, a classic "he out kicked his coverage". There was only one guy within 15 yards of Miller when he caught it, but Miller was smart and took two steps towards him, then broke hard left towards the sideline and the picket fence that the Rams set up so nicely. Miller is fast. Please use him to return kicks and get him up to snuff in the slot. We need his speed.

- After the Hood INT....The reverse pass attempt from Lloyd to Gibson was just out of reach, maybe 1 foot long.
Observation: This was a very well designed play and almost a perfect pass from Brandon Lloyd....DX probably would have caught it.

- 3 - 7 Bradford rolls out and throws a laser 12 yd out pass to Lloyd for a first down at the Zona 16 yd line. Red Zone baby!
Observation: This is the Bradford that I know and love, rolling out and throwing a dart to Lloyd for a much needed first down to keep the momentum rolling after the INT. Lloyd made Peterson look silly on the cut. Smoooooth.

- 1- 10 in the red zone, Bradford in shotgun takes the snap and before finishing his post snap read gets rocked blindside by Sam Acho. Sam fumbles the ball.
Observation: Announcer shrieks, "First time Sam drops back he gets sacked." Well, he didn't drop back, but he didn't roll out, so I know what he meant. Guess who, don't even have to say it...#@#!%$. He got beat on a straight speed rush. There was no hesitation, there was nobody feigning to blitz inside him, he just let his technique break down by taking tiny kick slides. I dare to say that he didn't even slow Acho down. #2 TD possibly lost. My feeling--Game lost right here.

- Stewart makes another 3rd down stop, where he comes out of nowhere to stop the screen play and notch a TFL. Card's punt away from Miller.
Observation: #@#!%$ he's playing fast. Punting away from Miller out of bounds and still 51 yds....what a freaking concept.

- 1 - 10 Jason.Brown, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at SL 25.
Observation: Wow #@#!%$!

- 2 - 10 After a 5 yd run by Steven Jackson, Bradford completes pass to Steven Jackson over the middle for a short gain, he's tackled quickly by Paris Lenon.
Observation: Bradford...going through his progressions, which he did nicely most of the game. Wasn't Lenon run out of here and considered a bum. He killed us all day and had more tackles than Laurinaitis who had an awful day (couldn't disengage from blocks and took bad angles) for the Rams.

- 3 - 4 Bradford on a failed bootleg receiving heavy heat throws to Spach who drops it.
Observation: #@#!%$!--Bajema 2 with a little more weight in his pocket. Kills the drive.

- Donnie Jones punts 49 yds to Peterson.
Observation: #@#!%$ Jones! Great punt coverage on this play. This was the second tackle for "Big Dome" Curry. Whew.

- J.Skelton sacked at ARI 18 for -1 yards by C.Long.
Observation: Long worked for this one, he came all the way across the formation then as Skelton tried to scramble, Long tackled him from behind like a hungry lion. Post - Long played hard all day, but gave up contain too many times. He had one sack taken away by a holding call on Rod Hood later in the game.

- Next play, Wells rambles 71 yds to the Rams 11.
Observation: This was a bad defensive call people. Arizona was in a 2 back formation strong left, and then they motioned another receiver left, yet instead of going with him, the Rams decide to blitz both Mikell and Chamberlain (Chambo may have gone on his own) to the left side Arizona's weakside! Taking both players, a safety and a linebacker, out of the play completely. Then Quinn got hooked, Poppings did his job and tried to contain, and did, but the hole left was huge. Laurinaitis got easily handled by the guard, and then took the wrong side, going inside, instead of out, taking himself out of the play. D. Scott, who could and should have squeezed it down, fell for the counter fake and easily got washed out, destroying any chance of backside pursuit. Stewart did his best Atogwe impression and then Gordy finally ran and dragged him down. Luckily, Arizona though Skelton could pass on this series or they would have scored a TD. 3 points.

2nd Quarter

- 3- 9 Full blitz Bradford's throw INC to B. Gibson.
Observation: Appeared to be Sam's worst throw, the line actually picked up the blitz, but would you have trusted them? And...it was a full blitz, why wasn't Gibson getting around earlier?

- Arizona gashes us with some more runs on their next drive.
Observation: Lucky for us at this point they are too stupid to know that the Rams can't stop the or even slow down the run and pass 4 times including on 3 - 2.

- Rams next drive featured a nice run by Jackson, who ran hard all day. A dropped pass, then a penalty by Brandon Lloyd, and a couple short throws to Jackson.
Observation: 3rd and longs, can't do much when our line can't block. Don't blame the play calling.

- Arizona only gets a first down on this drive by 10 yd run by Wells, and a holding call negating a Chris Long sack.
Observations: Chamberlain made a lot of plays on this drive. Stewart had another TOS. Arizona continues to foil themselves by trying to pass.

- 2 - 8 from Rams 22, Norwood 10 yd run off left tackle. Had a couple other runs.
Observation: Just enough of a teaser to say what if? He looked great--fast.

Two Minute Warning:

- 3-4-STL 38 (1:24) (Shotgun) 8-S.Bradford pass short right to 83-B.Lloyd to SL 49 for 11 yards. Timeout #1 by Rams at 01:17.
Observation: Nice pass for a first down extending the drive and then calling a timeout.

- 1-10-STL 49 (1:17) (Shotgun) Bradford pass dropped by B. Lloyd.
- 2-10-STL 49 (1:13) (Shotgun) Bradford pass deep right to Gibson ran ob at ARI 29 for 22 yards.
- 1-10-ARI 29 (1:07) (Shotgun) Bradford pass deep left to Lloyd at ARI 3 for 26 yards.
- Timeout #2 by SL at 00:43.
Observation: Bradford was firing darts, Lloyd dropped one, but Gibson had his back, and then the back shoulder throw to Lloyd was perfect and safe. 43 seconds is a long time to score from the 3, right? Seen on the sideline during the timeout, Spagnuolo interrupting McDaniels who is trying to talk to the offense during the timeout. McDaniels appears peeved and is shaking his hand and pointing as he speaks. The conversation is intense, but short as the players wait for McD to come back and call the play. After the play was called a very intense conversation continues between Spags and McD up until the play is run.

- 1-3-ARI 3 :)43) (Shotgun) PENALTY on Jason.Brown, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at ARI 3.
Observation: #%@$!&#*#%#$@%# Brown! You have to be #*#%# kidding me, are they doing this on purpose? #*#%# you Jason Brown, you piece of #*#%#! (sorry, Doctor's get pissed sometimes.) Seen: Sam gestures with his arms towards the sidelines a few times, the international arm signal for "what the #*#%#".

1-8-ARI 8 :)43) (Shotgun) Bradford sacked at ARI 17 for -9 yards by Sam Acho.
Observation: Double %&#*#%#! Mr. Goldberg got beat on the same exact speed rush as before. Jason Brown was also beat badly and his man enjoyed a shot of Bradford. Well, at least there's 40 seconds left and a timeout.

- Timeout #3 by SL at 00:12.
Observation: Huh? We let the clock run down to 12 seconds, then called it. It was only 1st down people, we easily could have taken two shots.

2-17-ARI 17 :)12) (Shotgun)Bradford pass incomplete deep right to Gibson.
Observation: There was very little time left and no timeouts, this was the only player in the endzone and the right throw, because Gibson wasn't open. Crowd boos loudly after in-completed pass. Very poor clock/play management.

3-17-ARI 17 :)07) Josh Brown 35 yard field goal is GOOD.
Observation: It was a great drive highlighted by fantastic throws which culminated in a sloppy #*#%#! finish by the players and coaches. Sam looked as good as I've ever seen him in the half. I only saw 1 what I'd consider a bad throw, the INC on the full blitz to Gibson in the whole half. Seen on the sidelines: McDaniels in an extended one on one with Bradford, it appeared that he was trying to keep Sam's spirits up. Sam looked frustrated.

We left a lot of points out there in the first half, and a couple of players killed us.

The Doctor is Out...for now.

bluecoconuts

Legend
DR RAM said:
Seen on the sideline during the timeout, Spagnuolo interrupting McDaniels who is trying to talk to the offense during the timeout. McDaniels appears peeved and is shaking his hand and pointing as he speaks. The conversation is intense, but short as the players wait for McD to come back and call the play. After the play was called a very intense conversation continues between Spags and McD up until the play is run.

Interesting. I wonder what was said, I do think it would be smart to have an older coach or someone with experience to encourage him to let his OC handle things. I like Spags but I feel that is the biggest problem he has, he needs to trust Josh to make the correct calls and run the offense.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
DR RAM said:
Seen on the sideline during the timeout, Spagnuolo interrupting McDaniels who is trying to talk to the offense during the timeout. McDaniels appears peeved and is shaking his hand and pointing as he speaks. The conversation is intense, but short as the players wait for McD to come back and call the play. After the play was called a very intense conversation continues between Spags and McD up until the play is run.

Interesting. I wonder what was said, I do think it would be smart to have an older coach or someone with experience to encourage him to let his OC handle things. I like Spags but I feel that is the biggest problem he has, he needs to trust Josh to make the correct calls and run the offense.
Anyone who has this on tape should watch it. It's very interesting to say the least. I can't say what was said, or what was going on exactly, but it was strange to me. Seemed out of place.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah I wasn't real thrilled with the series of events from the three yard line either. Jumbo formation, HB Dive. If that doesn't work, Jumbo formation, HB Dive. If that doesn't work, Jumbo formation, fake hand-off, roll-out, TE corner. What? Works like 99% of the time in my head.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Yeah I wasn't real thrilled with the series of events from the three yard line either. Jumbo formation, HB Dive. If that doesn't work, Jumbo formation, HB Dive. If that doesn't work, Jumbo formation, fake hand-off, roll-out, TE corner. What? Works like 99% of the time in my head.
We just seem to choke (Brown and Goldberg in this game, but other things too), which we've done all year, every time we have a chance to score. It's bizarre.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Any of you fine gents have the link you can send me with the first half of the game? I can't find the e-mail with it for the youtube channel.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Anyone go back and see the exchange?