Drop Rate - TEs - Bad News For Jared Cook

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Sig Stats: Drop Rate, TEs

Yesterday we looked at The PFF Drop Rate for Wide Receivers? Well today we’re moving on to tight ends.

Often, receivers have been lambasted for their numbers of drops and while that can be fair game, how can we compare one person dropping 20 balls when he is thrown 150, to another dropping six when he is thrown 40? Well what we’ve done is create a few numbers to really answer which receivers have the best hands. Firstly we’ve created the catchable balls number which adds up catches and drops. We then collect a percentage of how many drops a receiver had by their catchable balls, and hey presto, you’ve got yourself a drop rate. The best metric out there for determining the hands of tight ends.

To qualify a tight end needed to be thrown at least 30 catchable balls, leaving a field of 36.
------------------------------
Kellen Winslow was #1 with a 0.00 drop rate with 31 catchable balls.
Lance Kendricks was #12 with a 5.88 drop rate with 34 catchable balls.
Jared Cook was #35 with a 13.56 drop rate with 59 catchable balls.
-------------------------------
Down at the other end of things Ed Dickson didn’t help his free agent stock by dropping five of the 30 catchable balls thrown his way. An in-line blocker who struggles in this regard, there was little surprise when the Ravens opted to let him hit the open market after a number of opportunities spurned. Still, at least he wasn’t costing the team an arm and a leg, like say Jared Cook. The Rams paid him big to be an impact player, not drop eight of 59 catchable balls to give him the second worst drop rate of all tight ends. Far from ideal.

Alan

Legend
His mixed bag of skills and problem areas is why he hit FA in the first place.

fearsomefour

Legend
Cook is still and just has (it appears) very little feel for the game.
Appears to be a great athlete trying to be a football player. But, I have high hopes for him still. He still fights the ball at times and runs with the ball unprotected.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Ebron would be a luxury the Rams don't need. Our TE/FB guys are solid and is one area we don't need to be investing high picks on.

Cook had a few bad drops no doubt he also had a few exceptional plays and the first game last year showed what he is capable of. There are a lot of playmakers on this team and someone getting 8-10 targets a game is probably unrealistic. He may have been trying a little too hard at times but that is a good thing.

Ebron would be a luxury the Rams don't need. Our TE/FB guys are solid and is one area we don't need to be investing high picks on.

Cook had a few bad drops no doubt he also had a few exceptional plays and the first game last year showed what he is capable of. There are a lot of playmakers on this team and someone getting 8-10 targets a game is probably unrealistic. He may have been trying a little too hard at times but that is a good thing.

Why is having a TE who we can rely upon to actually catch the ball a luxury?

Considering Garcon had the most receptions in the NFL and he had 7.1 per game and we don't have anyone anywhere near his quality I'd have to agree someone getting 8-10 targets a game isn't realistic.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Why is having a TE who we can rely upon to actually catch the ball a luxury?

Considering Garcon had the most receptions in the NFL and he had 7.1 per game and we don't have anyone anywhere near his quality I'd have to agree someone getting 8-10 targets a game isn't realistic.
As I said the TE/FB group we have is solid, 8 drops in 59 targets for this team with KC at QB. I think they will still depend on him plenty and Ebron has not even been drafted how could he be counted on any more than Cook Kendrick Harkey

As I said the TE/FB group we have is solid, 8 drops in 59 targets for this team with KC at QB. I think they will still depend on him plenty and Ebron has not even been drafted how could he be counted on any more than Cook Kendrick Harkey

I don't see your point about Ebron not being drafted yet, we aren't counting on him to do anything, and if you're using that as logic not to draft him we shouldn't draft anyone.

F. Mulder

Starter
My frustration with Cook (and Givens as well) was the feeling that they often didn't go 100% after certain throws. It was almost like they deemed the ball uncatchable immediately and went at 50% effort or no effort at all. That drove me as crazy as the number of blatant drops.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Yeah even tho I wasn't as stoked as some when he signed, and did live up to his underachieving name, Jared Cook is still a good player and they are set at TE.

Also, PFF is garbage. They constantly make up stats that then get overanalyzed. I know this is an article about TEs, but looking at teh drop rate for WRs, they have guys like Wes Welker, Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson and Greg Little 64th or lower in drop rate. And Rishard Jackson and Jeremey Curely in the top 5 in least drop rate.

nighttrain

Legend
Good news for Cook is that he's not going anywhere, but he is going to play a lot for the Rams
train

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

Flashy overrated TE in a weak group imo. Could prove me wrong, but I don't see him helping the Rams more than a lot of other players could that would be available at that pick. I'm not a huge Cook fan, but they're already invested into him with his contract details. They're going to have to role with what they have at TE right now.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I dont know if this is unfair or not but everytime I think of Jared Cook I think of this.

I always fell like downing a bottle of Jack Daniels everytime I see that EPIC FAIL...:cry:

Flashy overrated TE in a weak group imo. Could prove me wrong, but I don't see him helping the Rams more than a lot of other players could that would be available at that pick. I'm not a huge Cook fan, but they're already invested into him with his contract details. They're going to have to role with what they have at TE right now.

Fair answer. But if they did view Ebron as most media guys seem to view him and he's the top guy on their board I'd be disappointed if they didn't take him just because of the presence of Cook (obviously we'll never know who's the top guy on their board).

I dont know if this is unfair or not but everytime I think of Jared Cook I think of this.

I always fell like downing a bottle of Jack Daniels everytime I see that EPIC FAIL...:cry:

The fun thing about that play is he learnt next to nothing from it, continuing to carry the ball loose and nearly costing us against the Bucs.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I haven't looked but it seems Cook got over his dropsies in the second half of the season. With Kendricks being Mr Reliable, I don't see adding a TE in the draft with needs to fill.