Drew Brees gives timeline on retirement decision

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Drew Brees gives timeline on when he'll make a decision about whether or not to retire

For the first time in his long, prestigious NFL career, New Orleans Saintsquarterback Drew Brees is considering retirement. The 41-year-old Brees spent this week practicing for the 13th Pro Bowl appearance of his career, and he told reporters on Saturday that he's not yet ready to make a decision regarding whether he'll be back for a 20th NFL season, but he will be soon.

"I'm really waiting until football is totally done," Brees told The Times-Picayune | New Orleans Advocate on Saturday. "Obviously being here, I'm just very much focused on my family and this opportunity to be be around the guys, playing the game. Then, I'll kind of lay low for a little bit, get away and then assess. I kind of have a process in mind. And I'll give it a month or so."

He acknowledged that this is a bit of a strange situation for him to be in. Previously, he'd known for sure that he would be back with the Saints the following season.

"I have never been in the situation where I was mulling over the thought of (returning)," Brees said. "To me, each one of these contracts, I don't know how many it's been with the Saints, I've played with them 14 years, each one, it's not a matter of if it gets done, it's when. At this stage of my career, it's not a given that I'm coming back every year, but when that time comes, I'll always be a Saint."

Brees has been remarkably productive and durable throughout his career in New Orleans, which has to be considered a bit of a surprise considering the shoulder injury that contributed to his departure from the San Diego Chargers. But this season, Brees missed five-plus games with a thumb injury -- the first multi-game absence he's had since all the way back in 2003. With a 41-year-old quarterback, the risk of those types of injuries is perhaps a bit higher than a younger player.

Luckily for the Saints, they invested more in the backup quarterback position than almost any team in the league, and Teddy Bridgewater led the team to a 5-0 record in Brees' absence. They were unable to secure a first-round bye in the playoffs, though, and they were upset by the Vikings in the first round. Brees didn't have his best stuff in that game, but he still performed at a high level for most of the regular season.

Saints GM Mickey Loomis told The Times-Picayune | New Orleans Advocate that the team would "obviously" bring Brees back, if that's what he wanted to do. If he decides against a return, it seems likely that Bridgewater would be elevated to the starting role. The Saints also have Taysom Hill around to contribute at the position, and Asshole Face scheming those players into position to succeed. They should still be able to find that success, but it'd obviously be better for them if Brees came back for one more try.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Brees is probably the best straight up passer ever.

He is a QB machine.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It really is the end of an era...

Brady and Brees now annual retirement questions.

Rivers on the move.

Eli retired.

Hmm.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I've been hating on aint QBs since Booby Herbert.

Their first QB ever was Billy Kilmer (1967) along with Jim Taylor and their other QB the renown Gary Cuozzo.
1580239083065.png

1580239193069.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Brees is probably the best straight up passer ever.

He is a QB machine.
No gotta say Marino was the best straight up passer. But Brees is in that top group for me no doubt.

I remember watching him play at Purdue and listening to the analyst discussing his size and thinking to myself how crazy that was. I remember thinking the Chargers were crazy to trade him, which at the time was par for the course what with their Marty Schottenheimer treatment.

But honestly as much as I respect the guy I sort of fucking hate him due to his Saints' affiliation. I know a lot of that is the influence of butthole face but still.

And did you see that deep pass he "threw" in their playoff game? Dude was open deep by a mile and the ball barely got there. So I think he's better off retiring now than putting himself in that situation where he gets replaced and is benched because that's coming IMO.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
And did you see that deep pass he "threw" in their playoff game? Dude was open deep by a mile and the ball barely got there. So I think he's better off retiring now than putting himself in that situation where he gets replaced and is benched because that's coming IMO.

I don't know if you are thinking about the same one I am, but he threw a pick on an ill-advised deep pass on which he had to really wind it up and had this ridiculously long throwing motion just to get it downfield. Then the ball hung in the air like a good Hekker punt and the DB ran right under it for an easy pick.

If Drew wants to continue, he should consider arena ball where he doesn't have to throw as far ... (and I think the AFL is in chapter 11 now, so that could be a problem).

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Their first QB ever was Billy Kilmer (1967) along with Jim Taylor and their other QB the renown Gary Cuozzo.
View attachment 33619
View attachment 33620
Noooo. Billy Kilmer played for the Redskins' Over-the-hill-gang and George Allen (traitor!). Bobby Herbert (Her-bare) is the only Saints QB that I remember, and don't feed me that internet stuff. FAKE NEWS!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Noooo. Billy Kilmer played for the Redskins' Over-the-hill-gang and George Allen (traitor!). Bobby Herbert (Her-bare) is the only Saints QB that I remember, and don't feed me that internet stuff. FAKE NEWS!

Actually no "R" in his last name, it's Hebert the french spelling for Herbert.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If Drew wants to continue, he should consider arena ball where he doesn't have to throw as far .

LOL this is preposterous.

Brees should consider arena ball?

One of the greatest QB's to ever play should consider that if he wants to continue playing?

oldnotdead

Legend
The Saints don't want to be like the Pats and lose the opportunities they have with their other QB options, Bridgewater or more likely Hill. IMO the franchise will make the decision for him and I would be surprised if they didn't tell Drew they will move on this year. They don't want it to look like they are dumping him and allow him to retire with dignity. IMO the Saints will go with Bridgewater or Hill as their QB. Hill is a restricted FA this year but Bridgewater is a UFA this year and there will be a strong market for him.

In fact Rivers moving to FL signals to me that the Chargers have told him they are not extending him. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if teams like the Chargers, Broncos and Raiders don't take runs at Hill and Bridgewater.