Draft Steal? Derion Kendrick had a hamstring issue at his pro day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
This deserves its own thread

I did a little digging and guess what, Kendrick, who was predicted to be a second round draft pick, had a hamstring issue when he ran the pro-day time that dropped him to the 6th round. Note, Jordan Fuller had a similar problem (which I highlighted after we drafted him while predicting he was a steal)

View: https://youtu.be/TCPb5g1NPxQ

Keep a close eye on Kendrick because he has 4 years experience, was a star on two of the best programs in college football and plays with a lot of verve, intelligence and solid technique. He also shows amazing composure in the interview considering he must have realised the time would impact his draft stock

Yes, he has been beaten deep but let’s face it who hasn’t playing CB on the boundary? importantly, I don’t think he will be playing strictly as an outside CB in our scheme which employs high safeties (even when one is a flex CB with attributes such as Kendricks himself)

He could well be one of the steals of the draft but doesn’t necessarily have to be a key piece in improving our coverage and turnovers

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wondering about The Rams RB 4.65 40 ? Durant was The Rams first CB taken.

To find a guy like D. Kendrick is unique.He is a winner & a 4 year player.It’s like the Fuller pick in that sense.Amazing your on a college team that’s got the most talent & a team leader.Then the draft comes & your whole squad gets recognized with 1st rd picks. Then there is Fuller & Kendrick.

The Rams also know players playing speed & already have that figured in.
They are also not big on the 40 at the combine,but do use the numbers.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Nothing is more over valued that the 40 time.
Nothing on Gods green earth.
40 times don't matter as much unless you're in the elite 4.3 territory.

Maybe he's a little faster but one of the weaknesses listed in his draft profile was getting beat deep before he ran that 40 time.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Maybe he's a little faster but one of the weaknesses listed in his draft profile was getting beat deep before he ran that 40 time.
Then Decobie Durant matters ?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I've read enough of people who watch tape being concerned about his long speed to be a little concerned.. but I think that would be a bigger issue on the outside than on the inside.
I think he's playing inside.. we see many more bigger slots these days and he's got good size.. and great instincts and ball skills. I'm very interested in what he becomes.
He'll be a big upgrade over DD, even as a rookie, imo. So the depth quality is going to be much better this season, at the least.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I think this is why the Rams drafted him. I don’t think their plan was to go CB again with that pick, but he fell and it was just too much value at that point to pass up. I thought I read something or saw a video which alluded to that occurring during the draft.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
40 times do matter. But... the reported 40 time of 4.6/4.7 just didn't make sense. With a time like that he wouldn't have made it to a Divison 1 program.

I like your theory, around injury, @TheTackle, and I hope you're right. :fistbump1:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
40 times do matter. But... the reported 40 time of 4.6/4.7 just didn't make sense. With a time like that he wouldn't have made it to a Divison 1 program.

I like your theory, around injury, @TheTackle, and I hope you're right. :fistbump1:
I think there are plenty of D 1 corners in that range.
Elite? No.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I've read enough of people who watch tape being concerned about his long speed to be a little concerned.. but I think that would be a bigger issue on the outside than on the inside.
I think he's playing inside.. we see many more bigger slots these days and he's got good size.. and great instincts and ball skills. I'm very interested in what he becomes.
He'll be a big upgrade over DD, even as a rookie, imo. So the depth quality is going to be much better this season, at the least.
Yep. Too me inside speed doesn't matter as much as outside speed. Roby-Coleman was a great NB for us and he didn't light up the 40.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Who knows?
Maybe we'll see an Olave-Kendrick rematch on November 20.
Well, that should be easy because Ryan Day nor Asshole Face are calling plays for the Hapless Saints this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Maybe we'll see an Olave-Kendrick rematch on November 20.
Olave would probably smoke his ass over and over one on one. So I hope not.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I disagree, Kendrick expecting help from the free safety that wasn't there, Nick Scott will be there and pick Winston off.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
On the outside, for sure. Durant is the better matchup in that guy.

I really like the variety of DBs on the roster now. Feels like the floor is higher than last year and that the ceiling is really high.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Nothing is more over valued that the 40 time.
Nothing on Gods green earth.
Absolutely correct! They should run from the two point stance if they want to measure football speed. Only the track guys do the best in the current 40 at the combine.

fearsomefour

Legend

You're right.
Outliers on either side of the scale would grab ones attention.
There are fans that view it as the be all end all however.