Draft....playing GM

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yes, I know this makes me one of the seven worst kind of football fans.

Pretty tough to speculate about the draft before FA, but, still fun so here it goes....

In my humble opinion the greatest needs going into the draft are OG on offense and OLB and S on D. Whether OG is a great need or not depends on whether Turner resigns as he gives the Rams a solid guy at any inside spot and versatility. OLB is a need pretty much no matter what as is S, unless the Rams sign Byrd from Buffalo which I doubt. If both Gibson and Amendola leave (I think Amendola resigns and Gibson goes) then WR jumps up the list for sure, if Jackson leaves RB is a need as well. I hope Jackson stays and given that Im sure he will find a small market for a power back on the wrong side of 30, I think he will stay as well.

At 16 Im sure the object is to get value for the pick and get a starting player, which is why Im assuming almost all of the mocks that have the Rams taking Oline have them draft a T even though the greater need is inside. So, looking for players that drop to the Rams at 16 that also fill a need. I think the top guy at G (Warmack) and the top couple at T will be gone by 16. Barrett Jones, G,C Alabama; Jonathan Cooper, G; Lane Johnson, T could fall to 16. As for the other needs OLB Alec Ogletree could fall to 16, Vaccaro at S might fall that far. Eric Reid should be available at 16.

A lot of the guys who played OLB in college that are speed guys are projected to go the 3-4 Ds as pass rushers. I think there is going to be a run of these guys early in the draft. So, 16 really comes down to value. Zach Ertz, TE could be an option if he falls to 16 as well. I like all these players and think they could present decent value at 16 and fill a need.

Could easily see it going....Vaccaro, S at #16 and Cooper, G at #22.

Second round options to fill the other need could be Arthur Brown, OLB, Kansas (I think), John Simon, OLB, Ohio St.; Khaseem Greene, OLB; Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor.

My ideal draft would go something like this:

Vacarro or Cooper #16, trade down from 21 and take Margus Hunt, DE, SMU with the 2nd pick; Arthur Brown, OLB with the 2nd round pick.

I see Margus Hunt as a guy who can rotate at both DE and DT on passing downs. Not a major need by any stretch, espcially if Hayes comes back (hopefully), but, Hunt could also slide inside and give the Rams a shot at having a special passrush rotation. He has also blocked 17 kicks in his college career. I would be perfectly happy if the first three picks went Vacarro, Hunt, Brown with WR, RB and Oline being addressed in the later rounds. I know this is a lot of defense up front, but, I believe the D is very close to being very, very good....taking for granted Ryan doesnt hose it up. Of course, what gets picked where depends on FA.

Feel free to bash me!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, if you want the truth, I'd be pretty angry if Vaccaro and Hunt were our first 2 picks. Margus Hunt is a scary athlete but he's also ridiculously raw and doesn't really seem to be a natural football player. On top of that, he's already 25 years old.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love these threads. It's fun to hear the opinions on players.

With the draft so top heavy on defense, does anyone see a couple offense guys going higher than they should because a team reaches based on need?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jry32:
I agree Hunt is very raw. This is why that would happen with a trade down, picking up another pick or two to offset taking him high. I see him having tremendous upside, but, it is a risk/reward pick for sure.

CGI_RAM:
I do see offensive guys getting nabbed early. Ertz and the number one rated RB (cant remember his name) seem to be the prime candidates in my opinion.
I also think a guy like Hunt is very interesting on draft day because I could see some team falling in love with him and taking him very early, top 15 picks even or he could drop into the late 2nd round. He could be a more physical Calaise Campbell or he could be a total stiff.