Down to A Dozen Possibilities

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
1. Yankees vs Dodgers
2. Yankees vs Mets
3. Yankees vs San Diego

4. Dodgers vs Tigers
5. Dodgers vs Cleveland
6. Dodgers vs Kansas City
7. Mets vs Kansas City
8. Mets vs Tigers
9. Mets vs Cleveland
10. San Diego vs Tigers
11. San Diego vs Kansas City
12. San Diego vs Cleveland

Repeat of 2015
Repeat of 2000
Repeat of 1998
Repeat of 1984
Repeat of 1981

Repeat of 1920

I know what are #1 and #2 on my list.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm sure MLB would love to see #1. Bring back the old rivalries for nostalgia sake. Two storied franchises. But any story involving Cleveland with a chance to win a championship would be interesting. I believe they currently have the longest championship drought.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm a traditionalist. Always liked the 10 teams in each league; win the most, you won the pennant and play in the World Series. It wasn't bad when it was the 5 game LCS starting in 69. They really need to expand to 32 teams like football with four 4-team divisions, 2 wild cards and tiebreakers so to avoid a tiebreaking playoff game. Best of 3 with the Rollins Doubleheader to begin it all. But of course there will be fans who don't like the way the divisions would be assembled.

NYY; Balt; Boston; Toronto
Cleveland; Detroit; CWS; Minnesota
LAA; Oakland; Seattle; Texas
Houston, KC, Tampa and expansion team

Philly; Atlanta; Mets; Nationals
St.Louis; Chicago; Cincinnati; Pittsburgh
Dodgers; Giants; San Diego; Arizona
Colorado; Florida; Milwaukee and expansion team

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I really like #1

Dodgers and Yankees would be a huge World Series for ratings.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
1. Yankees vs Dodgers
2. Yankees vs Mets
3. Yankees vs San Diego

4. Dodgers vs Tigers
5. Dodgers vs Cleveland
7. Mets vs Kansas City
8. Mets vs Tigers
9. Mets vs Cleveland
10. San Diego vs Tigers

Repeat of 2015
Repeat of 2000
Repeat of 1998
Repeat of 1984
Repeat of 1981

Repeat of 1920

Down to 9 scenarios. Way to go Yankees.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Ill take 1, 4, 5 and 6.
Down to 1, 4 and 5. After tonight and Saturday, it'll be down to 1, 4 OR 5....as long as they beat the Padres. I gotta believe MLB would love Ohtani vs Judge. As a Yankee fan I'd rather face Cleveland in the ALCS. That Detroit pitching, momentum and story line worry me. After a fire sale in late July they went 34-19 in August and September. Gonna be fun to watch for me, especially now that the Yankees have advanced.
I'm sure MLB would love to see #1. Bring back the old rivalries for nostalgia sake. Two storied franchises. But any story involving Cleveland with a chance to win a championship would be interesting. I believe they currently have the longest championship drought.
1948. 76 years. Their last WS win was over the Boston Braves (5 years prior to their move to Milwaukee) and they've lost 4 times since.

To Mays and the Giants in 54 (the great catch at the Polo Grounds year)
To the Atlanta Braves in 95. The only WS win for the 90's "team of the decade". Yankee fans scoff at that moniker. Sure 8 Division titles, 5 Pennants, but just 1 WS win with 2 of those loses coming at the hands of the NYY.
To the 'Florida' Marlins in 97. Cleveland even had Orel in the rotation 16-6; 4-1 in the ps. The Marlins would go on to lose 108 games the following year after dismantling that Championship team. That Marlins team also had two future (currently) ML managers on the roster.
To the Cubs in 2016, breaking their drought, the longest at that time. The Cubs were in a 109 year drought, Cleveland in a 68 year drought. Two fanbases starving for a Championship. Something had to give!! And it didn't go Cleveland's way.

One note on that 1954 team. They won 111 games (111-43; .721) and the 103 win NY Yankees finished 8 games out!! Dodger fans can relate to that after winning 106 in 2021 and finishing 2nd in the West. Of course they still made the postseason, unlike those 54 Yankees, but lost the NLCS to the 88 win Braves.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
1. Yankees vs Dodgers
2. Yankees vs Mets
3. Yankees vs San Diego

4. Dodgers vs Tigers
5. Dodgers vs Cleveland
7. Mets vs Kansas City
8. Mets vs Tigers
9. Mets vs Cleveland
10. San Diego vs Tigers

Repeat of 2015
Repeat of 2000
Repeat of 1998
Repeat of 1984
Repeat of 1981

Repeat of 1920

Down to 4 scenarios
1, 2, 5 and 9
3 possible rematches still in play

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
1. Yankees vs Dodgers
2. Yankees vs Mets
5. Dodgers vs Cleveland

9. Mets vs Cleveland

Repeat of 2000
Repeat of 1981

Repeat of 1920
The Dodgers are holding up their end. 9-0.

33.1 consecutive postseason shutout innings!!!

When I was a kid I remember Don Drysdale had the record for consecutive shutout innings (regular season) with something like 56 or 58 or so. Never thought that would be broken. I feel strongly this one won't be broken once it's eventually over.

I also remember he 1966 Orioles had 33.1 scoreless innings in the World Series over....the Dodgers. They have tied that record. Caveat....one is a postseason record, the other a World Series record.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don't believe in a fan can jinx anything and.......there is a looooong way to go.......BUT the needle is pointing more strongly towards Yankees/Dodgers, than any other matchup.

Could it be?
Finally?
After 43 years?
The most common World Series matchup in history?

It would be 10% of all World Series.....Yankees/Dodgers (12 of 120)
What's even more remarkable is it would be 51 times out 120 (42.5%), the World Series included the Yankees (29) or the Dodgers (10) or the Yankees and the Dodgers (12).

You can argue other rivalries are huge.

Yankees/Red Sox
Giants/Dodgers
Cardinals/Cubs
Chiefs/Raiders
Cowboys/Eagles
Lakers/Celtics
Canadiens/Bruins

But when it comes down to Championship matchups through history, none have occurred more than the Yankees/Dodgers in any major sport. Whatever argument that can possibly be made, none is stronger than a Yankees/Dodgers matchup being the most compelling in sports history. Here's hoping that needle isn't wrong.