Don Banks has the Rams taking Poe at #6

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
donbanks.jpg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... index.html

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I would be a little upset. I do think Fish could pull the beast out of him though.

steferfootball

Starter
Whatever. Whoever they take they take. Fisher has a good track record in the first round (sans Young, who wasn't his choice).

And if they mess up, they will be held accountable.

steferfootball

Starter
Selassie I said:
Combine Warrior
I really worry about that.

If he had more production, this guy could be a number 1/2 Suh type prospect (not this year cause of Luck and RGII).

I think our staff has a good idea what they like from the DT position.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Poe could absolutely be a Suh type player. Of course he could also absolutely be the next Vernon Gholston.

I'm always leery of guys who have good (but not great) college careers that put on a performance at the combine and are suddenly rocketing up draft boards.
If the Rams take him I guess it's ok (I'd prefer Blackmon or Claiborne if they're available), but I'd rather someone else play the Dontari Poe lottery.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
The only thing Suh has in common with Poe is that their last names both consist of three letters. Other than that, there is not a remote comparison that should be made.

I'm sorry, but it's true.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
He's hard to evaluate, but he moved around a lot(almost every play) in a 3-4 defense. Played all 5 DT (both sides) positions when the ends were up. I hope peopl;e know how impressive that is. Their defense was very disciplined as a whole. I haven't seen him go backwards, even when double teamed. Teams don't run at him, when they do he is there. He commands double teams and is the focus of the offensive line calls is most instances. Saw him play in 4-3 also, didn't move as much.

It's very clear that it's a gap control, and read and react defense. In running situations he pushed 2 yards up the field and sits. In passing situation he takes his gap and controls it straight up the field, when he does bull rush it's effortless, the OL can only try to take him where he wants to go, they can't stop him. The defense is NOT designed for him to make plays. It's designed for the linebackers to make plays.

Opposing coaches schemed for him and some have come out and said that he was the most talented DT that they have ever seen. The knock is that they thought he took some plays off, and wasn't a relentless end of the whistle guy. I tell you that the last part can be attributed to the scheme he played in. My son played in a similar scheme and got yelled at if he made a play downfield. They wanted him to stay on the line...always.

Weaknesses: Slow off the line sometimes. Doesn't play to the whistle. Needs to do better job in backside pursuit. Needs to learn some pass rush moves. Short arms a little bit of a problem, but his strength negates it.

Anyhow, there it is..a little more info for you to digest. I would have NO problem drafting him, money is a great motivator and although he could play all 3 downs, he will get a chance to rest a little in the NFL through rotations, something he didn't get in college. One more thing, he is very dedicated in the weight room, his freakish numbers did not come overnight. In the right scheme (and he's scheme diverse) he will dominate.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very nice breakdown, Doc. Always appreciate your scouting profiles. :yeh:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
X said:

+1. The Docs pretty good.

I saw a mock draft today that had the Chiefs trading up to get Poe. There seams to be a growing consensus that Poe is the top DT and can be something special. From what I have seen, he worries me, but the Dr is better at player evaluations than I am so I could live with the pick.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
The only reason he has us taking him is because everyone but Richardson is off the board. Still the fact that has us taking him is saying something though, I agree. If were not taking Richardson, I'd rather have Ingram, or trade down for peanuts.

These scouting reports crack me up because they're all the same. "Well, he's shown "some" flashes. I mean he really hasn't shown anything consistent. Come to think about it, he's really just a big body. I mean he really doesn't show anything extraordinary. He could though. I mean like he's really big, and OMG! did you see that combine performance! He did A LOT of bench presses. It was awesome. He's so strong I've seen him make one arm tackles in the backfield. Extremely rare."

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
X said:

I saw a mock draft today that had the Chiefs trading up to get Poe. There seams to be a growing consensus that Poe is the top DT and can be something special. From what I have seen, he worries me, but the Dr is better at player evaluations than I am so I could live with the pick.
Thanks guys, but do you know who is really high on him? Warren Sapp.

I'd pick Kalil over him, and maybe Claiborne, who is a pretty clean player and a need.

I'm not ignoring other needs, and it's pretty clear to me that the Rams will not either. I think that our first pick in the second round will be a WR, if Poe, or Richardson are picked. If the cards don't fall right, then our 3rd round pick. We may even trade back up to get our guy. If Poe, or another DT isn't picked first, then one of our 2nd rounders will be a DT, and the same will apply. A possible trade up for the guy we want... Ta'amu, maybe. Other possible trade ups or downs would include Hill, Floyd, Glenn, and Reiff.

Regarding Poe. Nobody got Haynesworth to play like Fisher did, and Poe has way more talent, strength, and size. Just saying.

Poe>Peanuts.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
X said:

I'd pick Kalil over him, and maybe Claiborne, who is a pretty clean player and a need.

I'm not ignoring other needs, and it's pretty clear to me that the Rams will not either. I think that our first pick in the second round will be a WR, if Poe, or Richardson are picked. If the cards don't fall right, then our 3rd round pick. We may even trade back up to get our guy. If Poe, or another DT isn't picked first, then one of our 2nd rounders will be a DT, and the same will apply. A possible trade up for the guy we want... Ta'amu, maybe. Other possible trade ups or downs would include Hill, Floyd, Glenn, and Reiff.

Regarding Poe. Nobody got Haynesworth to play like Fisher did, and Poe has way more talent, strength, and size. Just saying.

Poe>Peanuts.

Yeah, I was sold on Ta'amu until I read what you wrote on Poe. :idk: I'd be happy with either but like you said, if you pick Blackmon/Richardson at 6, then must pick Ta'amu at 33 or 39 and I think the other pick at 33 or 39 must be a elite OLB if one is left, otherwise the best RB or WR left. Thanks for the confusion Doc :uhh:

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
X said:

Poe>Peanuts.
I trust your eval over mine. I definitely trust Fisher's eval over mine. I think he's shown an ability to draft DTs and coach 'em up. I think it's very possible that we take a DT with our 1st round pick, but if so, I believe they'd trade down. I get the feeling that they think they can find interior linemen further down the draft and coach them up. But we'll see. This will be the first draft that Fisher truly has a lot of input into and can dictate who they take. It should be interesting.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Username said:
The only reason he has us taking him is because everyone but Richardson is off the board. Still the fact that has us taking him is saying something though, I agree. If were not taking Richardson, I'd rather have Ingram, or trade down for peanuts.

These scouting reports crack me up because they're all the same. "Well, he's shown "some" flashes. I mean he really hasn't shown anything consistent. Come to think about it, he's really just a big body. I mean he really doesn't show anything extraordinary. He could though. I mean like he's really big, and OMG! did you see that combine performance! He did A LOT of bench presses. It was awesome. He's so strong I've seen him make one arm tackles in the backfield. Extremely rare."

LOL. They just gotta kill time somehow. Path to the Draft is a 30 min show, ya know.

Vita

UDFA
Charlie Casserly seems to be very high on Poe also.He said everything that he did at the combine showed up on game tapes.Wouldn't be my first choice at 6, but he could turn out to be a good one.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
He's hard to evaluate, but he moved around a lot(almost every play) in a 3-4 defense. Played all 5 DT (both sides) positions....

Thanks for all that Doc. Great info.

I was just watching some tape on the guy. I don't think I have ever seen a player positioned in every spot along the line that much. Doc - in the tape you have seen, did they put him in a different position EVERY freakin snap?

I did notice the guy gets his legs taken out a little too easily for my liking but with his athletic ability, you'd think he could be coached up to avoid a lot of those.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:
He's hard to evaluate, but he moved around a lot(almost every play) in a 3-4 defense. Played all 5 DT (both sides) positions....

Thanks for all that Doc. Great info.

I was just watching some tape on the guy. I don't think I have ever seen a player positioned in every spot along the line that much. Doc - in the tape you have seen, did they put him in a different position EVERY freakin snap?

I did notice the guy gets his legs taken out a little too easily for my liking but with his athletic ability, you'd think he could be coached up to avoid a lot of those.
They did. They played a 3-4 the whole game, and he changed positions on every play.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Might as well take Reiff in this situation honestly. (If theyre not goin richardson)