Does McSnead Go "All In" in 2024 or 2025?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Stafford and Donald are in the latter stages of their careers. We are going to take our lumps salary cap wise this year. We actually have a #1 pick next season, if it's not traded. Do the Rams go for it again while we still have two potential HOFer's on the roster for the next couple of years??

McSnead got us to 2 Super Bowls when they went all in. Is there one on the horizon? It would be great because the whiners window will get tight soon, for sure when they have to pay Purdy real money.

Ellard80

Legend
yeah they dumped salary end of last year so that next year they could "Go for it" again

This year was supposed to be more for developing some young talent and depth... though they would never admit that.

Oyster

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is no guarantee of any kind of success by going all in. Teams have tried and failed.

I'd prefer to keep building for the long haul and try to be competitive year after year. Things can sometimes go your way if you're at least in the hunt.

oldnotdead

Legend
I assume what is meant by going all in is trading up in the draft to grab the QB1 successor to Matt. They need to grab a RB as well or they need to play Evans to see if they need to. They need another OT even if it's only for depth as swing. Arcuri must deliver or be cut. Rashan Gary will be a FA and he's the kind of edge they could use opposite Young.

Going all in IMO should include dumping Morris. It's no coincidence when he was left to his own devices the defense got worse each year and then Pleasant is hired and the ranking improved. Yet Morris to his shame is taking all the credit. I predicted the improvement because I knew Pleasant would try to get his DBs playing aggressively and he has. But he has no control over the mess on the weakside of the front 7. The answer is obvious.

Play Mathis at DE with Hampton behind him at WIL. Move Hoecht back to playing rotational 4T. Continue to use Turner in rotation between 0T and 4T. Or better yet dump the Fangio no pressure front and return to the Phillips style attacking one gap style.

2024 is likely the last year the Rams will have Stafford, Kupp and Donald. Fill the remaining holes and make their run for a second ring. The young guys they drafted this year will now be in their second year and ready to blossom. It's why they need to draft another WR as well to prep for when Kupp retires.

McVay should try to hire Kupp as a WR coach because you can see the difference his mentoring of Nacua has made. He also should try to hire Donald as an assist DL coach as well. He can also help in strength and conditioning something that seems poor on this team.

dang

Legend
There is no guarantee of any kind of success by going all in. Teams have tried and failed.

I'd prefer to keep building for the long haul and try to be competitive year after year. Things can sometimes go your way if you're at least in the hunt.
Agree. No short term patchwork acquisitions. Only if they have a role for the next several years. Like the Witherspoon and Dotson acquisitions.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

As long as the Rams hold onto their 2024 draft picks without trading away those in the #1 thru #5 draft range, they'll be showing us a continued commitment towards building for the future with young talent.
Still, my idea of 'going all in' revolves around using our much increased CAP assets for filling those remaining roster holes with young players whose history proves they are worthy of being paid well for their second NFL contract. The Rams can continue building towards the future thru the draft AND by using well placed CAP dollars in free agency and by way of trades, ... the two aren't mutually exclusive.
jmo.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The obsession with blaming Morris for anything wrong with the defense and giving credit anywhere else when any parts of the defense succeed is still alive, I see.
Goddamn that Morris for being the DB coach that forced Kendrick to make those critical pass-interference penalties!!!!

Anyway...

Yeah.. I think it's all-in for next year.. I just don't know if that means keeping the first or trading it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Yeah but will ppl be patient enough to see through said build?? This year so far says thats a nope.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Yeah but will ppl be patient enough to see through said build?? This year so far says thats a nope.
That is sort of like me telling myself before the game starts -- "OK, I'm just going to relax and enjoy the game for once....." ain't never happened yet!!! :woozy2:

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
I am all for building through the draft, long haul in the hunt year after year. We did it that way for a long time and did not win it all,
Why, the coach, offense and QB. We have that now so go back to building through the draft.
Spend some money on the right free agents like Big Whitt.
I do not like "selling out" in anything in life.
Thing is, McVay has nevr had to work with anything less than a #1 overall pick at QB.
He is either going to have to find a gem or blast some picks to get a new top 5 pick at QB in the near future.

oldnotdead

Legend
From looking at this team and the offense McVay runs, I think the Rams have two perhaps 3 QBs targeted. I've made no secret I think Penix is at the top of that list. That said I think there is another QB Sheduer Sanders who they might take a long hard look at. He's got a lot of the traits they want, i.e. leadership, pocket passer with the ability to run, shows the ability to go through his progressions, a decent arm with the ability to drive the ball out to intermediate ranges with good accuracy. He shows good accuracy overall on his deep throws. The problem in assessing his deep ball is he is inconsistent. When you look at his mechanics you can see first off his inconsistent footwork leading him to throw from less than optimal positioning. When his mechanics are on point he can drop deep dimes.

I think spending a year redshirting behind Stafford could do him a ton of good. Like Stafford, Sanders manipulates the secondary with his eyes. Clean up his mechanics and overall polish his game and Sander's upsides are very good. IMO he has top tier potential. Not sure where he will go in the first round but I anticipate it will be within reach of the Rams should they choose to take him. He's good enough to be a #2QB in 2024 and take over when Stafford retires as I expect he will after the 2024 season.

I definitely would not be disappointed in Sanders as the successor the Stafford.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'd say wait and see what the team looks like the first few games next year before thinking about going all in. It could take another year to build a championship caliber roster. We have some good young talent, but still some holes. Not sure if they can fill those holes next season. Draft smart. Use free agency to address the glaring needs.

I'd also advocate extending anyone they trade for midseason. I think 2024 might be a year they get back to being a higher end team but maybe not quite a championship caliber team. 2025 might be more likely. Don't give up resources for a half year rental unless you're sure you have a team good enough to go all the way.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I'd say wait and see what the team looks like the first few games next year before thinking about going all in. It could take another year to build a championship caliber roster. We have some good young talent, but still some holes. Not sure if they can fill those holes next season. Draft smart. Use free agency to address the glaring needs.

I'd also advocate extending anyone they trade for midseason. I think 2024 might be a year they get back to being a higher end team but maybe not quite a championship caliber team. 2025 might be more likely. Don't give up resources for a half year rental unless you're sure you have a team good enough to go all the way.
You make it like the brass is stupid - thats ridiculous. This season is that season to analyze what we need to compete for a SB. We don't need another. I think it will be clear by the end of this season where we are deficiencies lie and now that all the rookies and CBs/Safeties have another year to get their feet solidly planted - we fill in with several strong upgrades whether it is a 1st or 2nd round pick or 2- 3 top flight free agents. We are not far off we can easily compete for a title next year imo.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I really don't think going "All in" is necessary anymore...

The Rams so far had a really good draft this year. It looks like we hit on players like Puka and Avila and others are showing signs of being competent players in the NFL. Young and others have shown flashes of their potential but they obviously are just not there yet. Take a player like Tutu, everyone was calling him a bust but he simply just took longer to adjust to the NFL, and that's ok. We have also hit on some good FA signings like, Witherspoon and Dotson.

In reality I think we're just a couple of players away and a year or two of experience for some of these Rookies. If Mathew Stafford and Donald can stay productive and healthy we have a real shot at being a very good team.

I'll look for the Rams to make one maybe two splash signings, especially on both the Dline and Oline. If we continue to draft well we could be really surprised on how fast the rams rise to the top ranks again, and that means no more salary cap hell. Well not anytime soon anyways.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
You make it like the brass is stupid - thats ridiculous. This season is that season to analyze what we need to compete for a SB. We don't need another. I think it will be clear by the end of this season where we are deficiencies lie and now that all the rookies and CBs/Safeties have another year to get their feet solidly planted - we fill in with several strong upgrades whether it is a 1st or 2nd round pick or 2- 3 top flight free agents. We are not far off we can easily compete for a title next year imo.

Cough cough, just because someone has a different take than you doesn't mean he's saying anyone is stupid, or even implying that. You went from 0-60 faster than my wife. Chill bruh

oldnotdead

Legend
This is listed by priority. Who gets picked when depends on the draft flow and what it costs to get the QB.

1. QB (Penix or Sanders)
2. Edge
3. OT
4. RB
5. DT/NT
6. CB
7. ILB

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This is listed by priority. Who gets picked when depends on the draft flow and what it costs to get the QB.

1. QB (Penix or Sanders)
2. Edge
3. OT
4. RB
5. DT/NT
6. CB
7. ILB

I'm afraid Free Agency comes before the draft, so that will dictate the draft flow.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No we're a little more than 1 draft and an all in off season from being a SB winner.