Does everyone view Amendola as just a slot receiver?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

Because after last season I certainly don't. He lined up many times out wide and burned some good corners deep (Think the Patrick Peterson 1 handed catch, Carlos Rodgers catch in OT for 80+ yards that was called back because gibson's an idiot). I think he's more than just "a slot receiver" - he lines up in more than just the slot and does more damage outside of it.

Guy just needs to stay healthy - and i hope he does.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
His bread and butter is out of the slot.

Me personally, I don't see him nearly as effective lining up outside and particularly if he had to do it on a regular basis.

Thats my opinion anyway.

jap

Legend
Danny-A doesn't have the straight-line speed to outrun CB's or the height & muscle to routinely battle with outside CB's for the ball. He can sneak outside occasionally as a change up but his great quickness (i.e., change of direction speed) is best employed inside, as CGI noted.

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea I get that.

But if he's still beating his man when lined up wide, then mix it up. If he's winning, keep doing it.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000069067/Amendola-44-yard-reception" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... -reception</a>

Patrick Peterson ran a 40 time of 4.34... Amendola beats him straight up on a severly under thrown ball. But separation is separation

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/st-louis-rams/0ap2000000093732/GameDay-Rams-vs-49ers-highlights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/st-louis-rams ... highlights</a>

@1:30 beats carlos rogers in man to man....if brandon gibson was paying attention, we'd have won

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't think he's just a slot guy, but he's best in that type of situation given his ability to get open in tight places. However he also can split out wide and run deep patterns which makes him far more dangerous.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
He may be, but because of his talent and the Rams lack of talent on the outside sometimes he has to lineup out there when they aren't respecting a certain aspect of the field. We can expose them, but no one on the team can do it, and the other team knows that. Sometimes they have to just put him out there and get shit done. He's a very talented player when healthy, and has the heart of a lion. No one can deny that.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CGI_Ram said:
His bread and butter is out of the slot.

Me personally, I don't see him nearly as effective lining up outside and particularly if he had to do it on a regular basis.

Thats my opinion anyway.
+1.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
*Just* a slot receiver?

Absolutely not.

iced

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
*Just* a slot receiver?

Absolutely not.

That's the impression of the consensus I get among Fans - a lot of people call him a "slot receiver" and label him as so, but as the #2 WR (he was #2 on the depth chart), I know I have seen him line up out there in #2...and get shyte done.

I'd rather call him a "weapon" then just a slot receiver - slot receivers are primarily your 3rd WR on the team

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Amendola can play outside the slot but he's best utilized in it.

Hram

UDFA
I don't think he is "just" a slot receiver, but I do believe that is where he is primarily most effective.

If we had two decent outside receivers, he would be a terror.

He's just good.

I'm sure he would still occasionally line up outside when the Rams use different formations to try to outfox the defense.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
bluecoconuts said:
I don't think he's just a slot guy, but he's best in that type of situation given his ability to get open in tight places. However he also can split out wide and run deep patterns which makes him far more dangerous.

This exactly. Best lethal in the slot, but can be versatile and has ability to make plays at the flanker from time to time.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
No. I'm done labeling WRs as #1s or #2s or slots or w/e. It's about matching up against the D and each play has a different primary option.

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
Danny knows how to excite his team mates by making the catch. That helps get them to play at that next level. Bat thing he seems to get hurt way to often.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
jrry32 said:
Amendola can play outside the slot but he's best utilized in it.

tumblr_lkwh69tOKz1qzltzmo1_500.gif

Simba

Rookie
I think he's a great player, but he needs inches and pound for the split or flanker position.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Simba said:
I think he's a great player, but he needs inches and pound for the split or flanker position.
I don't know. He could certainly *benefit* from that, but I don't think he needs it. I just got done recording and editing that 80 yard reception he had against the 49ers (1st game) in OT where he was lined up on the outside, but then I threw it in the trash after watching it again. It really pissed me off after listening to the commentary and watching how long it took for that penalty flag to show up. Still bugs me to this day.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
Simba said:
I don't know. He could certainly *benefit* from that, but I don't think he needs it. I just got done recording and editing that 80 yard reception he had against the 49ers (1st game) in OT where he was lined up on the outside, but then I threw it in the trash after watching it again. It really pissed me off after listening to the commentary and watching how long it took for that penalty flag to show up. Still bugs me to this day.

It ticked me off but it was the right call. Before the play, I said out loud to myself...shouldn't Gibson be on the LOS?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
jrry32 said:
X said:
Simba said:

It ticked me off but it was the right call. Before the play, I said out loud to myself...shouldn't Gibson be on the LOS?
Yeah, I know. In retrospect it was valid. The 3 minute delay before throwing the flag though? Unacceptable. You wouldn't expect refs to be talked into throwing a flag (literally) minutes after the play is over. And Gibson lining up wrong affected that play how much? Zero. Woulda been nice if that play stood though. That would have put Bradford at around 355 yards passing for the day. Against SF. IN SF.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
X said:
jrry32 said:
X said:
Simba said:

Yeah, I know. In retrospect it was valid. The 3 minute delay before throwing the flag though? Unacceptable. You wouldn't expect refs to be talked into throwing a flag (literally) minutes after the play is over. And Gibson lining up wrong affected that play how much? Zero. Woulda been nice if that play stood though. That would have put Bradford at around 355 yards passing for the day. Against SF. IN SF.
I just spoke with my brother this morning about that. He's still in denial over the yellow-striped refs not facing down Harbaugh. Since it was the right call, he assumes the delay was about getting the call right. :roll: The fact remains the flag should have come out once the ball was snapped, if the ref even saw it.

That and the quick flag on the DOG penalty on the (game-winning) FG.