Dodgers Broadcaster Vin Scully passes away at 94

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
My first love was baseball… growing up in the San Gabriel Valley, the Dodgers were everything.

To my kid ears, Vin Scully was a wizard transporting me to that most magical and sacred place, Dodger Stadium, using poetic incantations to paint pictures in my mind.

When I first went to Dodger Stadium, it truly felt like a holy place. When the game started, something was missing. The game felt off… I couldn’t hear Mr Scully. I went to the concourse and hearing him made everything all right.

There are very few voices I can still hear crystal clear in my head… boils down to two… Vin Scully and Chick Hearn… Vin Scully was aptly described as the poet laureate of the Dodgers and no better description could there be…

Part of me is a kid in 1977, riding my bike with the transistor radio I got for Christmas listening to Vin Scully, the warm spring Southern California sun on my face tell me, “It’s time for Dodger baseball!”

Even as I cry, I try to remember and celebrate that moment… that beautiful, perfect moment

RIP Vin Scully… RIP

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
The greatest Dodger of all time! Rest in Peace Vin!!!

Tano

Legend
The best ever. I think I started losing my interest in baseball when Scully retired.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Best baseball call ever

The best call ever was probably when the US Hockey Team won the US Gold in 1980

"Do you believe in miracles? Yes!!!!"

Not only a great call, but the entire sequence was just incredible. I loved watching that whole thing again.

This is one of my all time favorite sports moments, in of all Sports. What a dramatic walk off homer!

Vin Scully was the best, ever.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Man, I’m still not over it… I see some other tribute or story and it all comes back again…

Next I’m laughing at another sublimely funny moment… like when he said about Coors Field in Denver "You don't need an official scorer at Coors Field. You need a certified public accountant."

He once called a a slow runner “…as fast as a file cabinet”

Even as I fell away from baseball due to several labor stoppages and the steroid era, I’d occasionally catch a game or call and it’d all come back.

I’ve said before and I’ll say again, when growing up, baseball was everything to me. As I grew and developed a conscience, the voice of my conscience wasn’t Jimmy Cricket… it was Vin Scully.

Maybe that’s why it’s so hard… also knowing we shared similar losses (he also lost a child) and how gracefully he handled himself… his humility and sense of humor never left me even as I drifted away from baseball…

He was truly one of a kind

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Man, I’m still not over it… I see some other tribute or story and it all comes back again…

Next I’m laughing at another sublimely funny moment… like when he said about Coors Field in Denver "You don't need an official scorer at Coors Field. You need a certified public accountant."

He once called a a slow runner “…as fast as a file cabinet”

Even as I fell away from baseball due to several labor stoppages and the steroid era, I’d occasionally catch a game or call and it’d all come back.

I’ve said before and I’ll say again, when growing up, baseball was everything to me. As I grew and developed a conscience, the voice of my conscience wasn’t Jimmy Cricket… it was Vin Scully.

Maybe that’s why it’s so hard… also knowing we shared similar losses (he also lost a child) and how gracefully he handled himself… his humility and sense of humor never left me even as I drifted away from baseball…

He was truly one of a kind

Some may never understand the effect he had on his younger listeners. I grew up in an abusive atmosphere, and VS felt like the father figure everyones imagination might pose as ideal, ... he was fair, kindly, sympathetic, articulate, loyal & honest, all while supporting a favored local organization. jmo.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Some may never understand the effect he had on his younger listeners. I grew up in an abusive atmosphere, and VS felt like the father figure everyones imagination might pose as ideal, ... he was fair, kindly, sympathetic, articulate, loyal & honest, all while supporting a favored local organization. jmo.

Yeah… I wasn’t so much abused as subjected to “benign neglect”… and Vin Scully was everything you described and more…

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
My first love was baseball… growing up in the San Gabriel Valley, the Dodgers were everything.

To my kid ears, Vin Scully was a wizard transporting me to that most magical and sacred place, Dodger Stadium, using poetic incantations to paint pictures in my mind.

When I first went to Dodger Stadium, it truly felt like a holy place. When the game started, something was missing. The game felt off… I couldn’t hear Mr Scully. I went to the concourse and hearing him made everything all right.

There are very few voices I can still hear crystal clear in my head… boils down to two… Vin Scully and Chick Hearn… Vin Scully was aptly described as the poet laureate of the Dodgers and no better description could there be…

Part of me is a kid in 1977, riding my bike with the transistor radio I got for Christmas listening to Vin Scully, the warm spring Southern California sun on my face tell me, “It’s time for Dodger baseball!”

Even as I cry, I try to remember and celebrate that moment… that beautiful, perfect moment

RIP Vin Scully… RIP
Beautifully described.

It was not uncommon for fans at the stadium to have transistor radios, so they can still hear Vin call the game.

Vin, is definitely the voice of our childhood, for many.

Last edited: