DL Greg Gaines poised for a career-high season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DL Greg Gaines poised for a career-high season​

The LA Rams defensive line will certainly have a new look in 2021. You see, the Rams will no longer benefit from the presence of the venerable defensive lineman Michael Brockers, who was traded away in the off-season for almost no return. The defensive line will not benefit from the production of up-and-coming NFL sack-master Morgan Fox, who has signed on with the Carolina Panthers for a tidy sum of money.

Those events have left the LA Rams defensive front with a bit of a void in terms of production. So let’s start assembling a list of names from the roster who could up their game and recoup some of the team’s lost production for 2021. For starters, we know that Sebastian Joseph Day has quietly improved each season, and 2021 will likely be his career-best year for several reasons. For starters, he was one of the Rams’ most dependable staters last year. Perhaps even more importantly, Joseph Day is in the last year of his rookie contract. Quite frequently, veterans have career years when they play for their next contract.

For now, let’s take a look at the other guy who is quietly improving, defensive lineman Greg Gaines. While he is a rather stout defensive lineman at 6-foot-1 and 312-pounds, he is making great strides for the team’s defensive line. After his 134th selection in the 2019 NFL Draft, Gaines has appeared in 26 NFL games.

Gaines earned more playing time

He can play multiple defensive line positions, but he is ideally suited to play close to the offensive nature due to his shorter stature. A bit of a fireplug, he is difficult to move off his mark, even in a double-team. Still, do not make the mistake of underestimating his agility.

He proved his cat-like prowess on several plays in 2020 that have forced me to reconsider his full upside potential. To see what I mean, his Pro Football Focus grade for the 2020 regular season came in at a respectable 65.0. But in the NFL Playoffs, he was a completely different player and vaulted his production to an eyebrow-raising grade of 75.2.

So why hasn’t he shown up yet? Well, the Rams have a rather robust defensive line roster, and Gaines has been coming up with a smaller portion of available defensive snaps. In 2019, he played just 183 snaps but generated 13 tackles and 0.5 quarterback sacks. In 2020, he played 201 defensive snaps, resulting in 18 tackles and 1.5 quarterback sacks.

He truly showed up against the Green Bay Packers, where he converted 26 defensive snaps into two tackles and one tackle for a loss. But he was effective in that game even when he wasn’t making the tackle, forcing the Packers’ stable of running backs to opt towards a secondary rushing lane and into the waiting arms of a teammate.

That gutsy performance by Gaines certainly caught my eye and should prod the coaching staff to give him more opportunity to replicate those heroics in the 2021 NFL season. More opportunities, and a more mature player, are a solid recipe for a breakout season. Keep an eye on Gaines this year, because he could play a significant role towards the Rams’ defense reclaiming the NFL’s Top-spot this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Packers ran a power approach at us which suits "Grizzly" Gaines. The guy is really hard to move. Needs to keep working his zone game but I am hopeful he sticks around.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Depending how Robinson plays and holds up, you could see Gaines at NT and Sebastian Joseph-Day at defensive end, although I'm expecting a big year out of Robinson. Gaines really improved last year as the defensive linemen continue to evolve under the tutelage of DL Coach Eric Henderson, another gem assistant hired by Sean McVay.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Depending how Robinson plays and holds up, you could see Gaines at NT and Sebastian Joseph-Day at defensive end, although I'm expecting a big year out of Robinson. Gaines really improved last year as the defensive linemen continue to evolve under the tutelage of DL Coach Eric Henderson, another gem assistant hired by Sean McVay.
As long as he can close running lanes, I'll be very pleased

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Taking up double teams and pushing the pocket is where he can have an impact. Greg reminds me a lot of the Bills Kyle Williams.

fearsomefour

Legend
Taking up double teams and pushing the pocket is where he can have an impact. Greg reminds me a lot of the Bills Kyle Williams.
That is really a great comparison.
Williams is 6’ 1”.
He used he shorter than average height to maintain good leverage against taller lineman.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I can't help but to wonder whether or not this "career-high season" Gaines is poised for will be with the Rams.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I can't help but to wonder whether or not this "career-high season" Gaines is poised for will be with the Rams.

I could see a trade, but I don't think he will be released IMO, they will keep 7 defensive linemen and I believe Gaines will be one of 7.

1. Aaron Donald
  2. Sebastian Joseph-Day
  3. A'Shawn Robinson
  4. Bobby Brown
  5. Ernest Brown
  6. Greg Gaines
  7. Eric Banks

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah....I thought that too.
Just a liiiiitle exaggeration.
There's so much hype, exaggeration and outright bull shit out there nowadays that I just gloss right over it and try to remain in reality.

I seem to have developed a filter.

Memphis Ram

Legend
What do you see happening?

Barring injuries in training camp, I think he may be traded or among the final cuts.

Why? Both Robinson and Brown are capable of taking reps on the nose, it appears that Morris prefers length on defense, and he's hasn't shown to be good pass rusher.

oldnotdead

Legend
Gaines has shown he can play both 1T and 3T. I can see him subbing for AD when he's out for a breather. If Bobby Brown can develop he will provide an alternative to paying Robinson. I think the Rams can envision Bobby at NT on early downs with Gaines on passing downs if Robinson isn't resigned or released.

I envision the future rotation of B. Brown and Gaines as being the same as E. Jones on early downs and Reeder on passing downs. A solid rotation is a key to keeping key players healthy through the season. It's why I can see them rotating Hoecht with AD on early downs to keep him fresher through the season. The GB game was a warning that needs to be heeded. The Rams burned Gurley out by overuse, so I hope they understand they have a very capable Henderson to rotate with him. IMO the days of the bell cow player are over, especially with the longer season.

The Rams drafted B. Brown to fill a specific need. SJD simply doesn't get the type of pressure they want from a 4 man rush. He's easily blocked by a single lineman and still struggles to shed blocks. This is why in my 53 SJD doesn't make this team.

If J. Williams and E. Brown show they can play DE behind Hollins I think the Rams move on from Lewis if his knees fails again. Williams has had a year on the PS to polish his game. If he has, then he has the speed to play behind Floyd as Williams is equally fast.

This is why IMO this roster is totally stacked with no need to keep marginal or oft-injured players. Their depth right now is very good across the board.