Did Dallas just outplay the entire NFL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Starter
Please can someone explain...

I agree with Memphis, once he went past round 3, there was no value in him signing, so we had to wait until UDFA, but....

1. Did we sign too many players prior to Collins being cleared, using up our pool of money and effectively taking us out of the race for Collins?

2. Did Dallas deliberately not spend any of their bonus pool, so that they could pay it all to one player Collins, sweetening the deal and effectively outbidding everyone for his services? There pool of UDFA is much smaller than other teams

3. Did Dallas deliberately contravene an NFL policy and negotiate ahead of the window (reportedly the 9th May), recognising the league might fine then, but that the contract would stick?

As I said at the time, we should have drafted him in the 3rd round, and then informally agreed to renegotiate his deal if he became a starter

We did not play the situation well IMO. but maybe someone can clear up my misunderstanding...

At present, it looks like Dallas had a far better plan in place and exercised it perfectly

beej

Rookie
Only one team was going to get him. If every team did what you are suggesting, there would have been no UDFA signings at all. The rams made a decision to go get other guys they wanted while others were tied up bidding on collins.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Please can someone explain...

I agree with Memphis, once he went past round 3, there was no value in him signing, so we had to wait until UDFA, but....

1. Did we sign too many players prior to Collins being cleared, using up our pool of money and effectively taking us out of the race for Collins?

2. Did Dallas deliberately not spend any of their bonus pool, so that they could pay it all to one player Collins, sweetening the deal and effectively outbidding everyone for his services? There pool of UDFA is much smaller than other teams

3. Did Dallas deliberately contravene an NFL policy and negotiate ahead of the window (reportedly the 9th May), recognising the league might fine then, but that the contract would stick?

As I said at the time, we should have drafted him in the 3rd round, and then informally agreed to renegotiate his deal if he became a starter

We did not play the situation well IMO. but maybe someone can clear up my misunderstanding...

At present, it looks like Dallas had a far better plan in place and exercised it perfectly

Collin said he just wanted to be a Cowboy and that's a possibility too.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Perhaps, I'm nuts but I've never been high on La'el Collins. I could be wrong and I probably am but I don't think Collins will have a great pro career. He looks a lot like a guy that skips legs day in the gym to me.

iced

Collin said he just wanted to be a Cowboy and that's a possibility too.

Yep - and no one is going to draft a player until they've been cleared.

There's too much going on in the NFL lately and I think owners/GM's are sending a message to not just Collins but all players in legal situations like Collins - "We're not going to touch you until you've been cleared"

I think it's both that they don't want to risk losing a draft pick but also aren't going to condone that type of behavior

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
While it would have been nice to score another blue chip in the draft, to a certain extent it almost looks like this was a part of his plan as he bragged about "choosing" his team. But the problem w/ a good line is as long as they're young, they don't cost that much but as the years roll on.......

Big Willie

Starter
Put yourself in La'el's position. Money and contract was not an issue...he was going to get the same money pretty much everywhere. You were going to be a top 15 pick in the draft if not for the legal issues that derailed your opportunity. So, the only question...is where do you feel comfortable and where do you want to play?
I hate the cowboys, but if given the opportunity to play for any team in the league, the Cowboys would make my short list.

A55VA6

Legend
Put yourself in La'el's position. Money and contract was not an issue...he was going to get the same money pretty much everywhere. You were going to be a top 15 pick in the draft if not for the legal issues that derailed your opportunity. So, the only question...is where do you feel comfortable and where do you want to play?
I hate the cowboys, but if given the opportunity to play for any team in the league, the Cowboys would make my short list.
Yeah if I was in La'el's position... the Cowboys are almost a perfect spot. Contending team, great o-line with a possibility to be a starter. Doesn't get any better than that.

Big Willie

Starter
I heard he was not eligible for the draft in 2016, so his only option was to sign as an Undrafted FA. Somebody should have gambled on him in the 7th round.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
He wanted to go to Dallas,besides i would not want him on the team after his statement to all teams regarding his draft position.Seems like the type of player that could turn into a cancer in the locker room and field and we have to many impressionable young men on the team.He will do fine in Dallas surrounded by a good OL on that team,here we would have seen his true colors when things get tough.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
PURE LUCK. Kid played at LSU and plowboys are very nearby as the saints seem to be rebuilding on OL. Since he got screwed out of his 1st round money and needs to sign for same money with whatever team he likes best. Go wear the bleepin star on a very impressive OL.

LUCK is all it is. Some how JJ will find a way to screw it up though.