Deshaun Watson wants to be traded. Bears?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Stephen A is a bullshitter and I doubt he's got an inside line with anyone of importance in the Rams' decision making. And I doubt even more that those in the know would text Stephen A. Where's the connection not like the guy is tight with them or anything.

The Rams run a tight fucking ship so I just don't buy any of this.

That said I do think the Rams called the Texans when this stuff broke. They had to have called them. Rams are aggressive and have their ears to the ground on shit like this. And I know they'd like to have this guy but chances are some other team will be able to give up more and that's if the Texans even put him on the market.

It might have been leaked by either Watson's people or the Texans as well to drive up the price...

As in, "Goff's a QB that's been to the Super Bowl and we can get him AND picks, so don't think it's just gonna be a coupla 1st rounders and that's it..."

Could the Rams swing that trade? yeah.

Will they? Ooof.... I dunno. Remember the Ramsey trade? People on here said it was impossible, not even taking into account the price. Well, he's here and you KNOW Les Snead is a monster, so...

Honestly, I dunno. I'm just focused on this Packer game and we'll go from there.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Why would he pull that out of his ass at the very end of a segment? He said a source text him, and he gave specifics... Goff + multiple picks. I dont think he's as plugged in as a lot of people to the Rams org, but I wouldn't say someone as big as Stephen A. doesn't have sources all around the NFL.

It's very unlikely we could pull this off, but Les and McVay both are VERY, VERY aggressive. Especially with trades and in FA when we target someone. I would send Goff + 2 future 1st round picks, and maybe a mid round pick too. Whatever it takes honestly.

And regarding him hitting the market, it's definitely not the NBA... but star players do hold a lot of power. And when he already wants out and has publicly been blasting the org... then you have ex all-pro Texans like Andre Johnson and Deandre Hopkins going on social media and telling him to hold his ground and get outa there...I would think he gets moved. Also he has a no trade clause and has to approve any trade destination. He's not going to choose a trash franchise or small market. Who wouldn't want to come to LA and play for McVay?

The other part of this is you absolutely dont want him to sign in SF and be paired with Shanahan in our division. That would be TERRIBLE for us. So if we have to pony up a little extra and be light on draft capital for the next few years I'd pull the trigger instantly.

yeah... Shanny with Watson... no thank you.

Also, didn't we JUST have this convo about Gurley and he's in Atlanta this year.

I dunno if it gets done and really won't focus on personnel until after the season's over, but there's no way anyone can just dismiss this.

We have too many precedents that if someone doesn't fit this offense, especially, they're OUT.

If McVay is feeling this way, they'll figure it out...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have too many precedents that if someone doesn't fit this offense, especially, they're OUT.
Agreed. There is a certain point with McVay where the rah-rah breaks and he moves on. Pretty sure he was tight with both Gurley and Cooks but there wasn't much organizational delay in solving those issues. Seemed like he hardened up on both during that 2019 season and then it was sayonara.

I will say I probably need to watch more of Watson's games. It gave me pause when I heard Cowherd's description of his game and made me realize I might not be up to date on the guy. If he is too dependent on the off schedule play for example. I think the Rams are going to be after quick reads and decision making moreso than what fans seem to want in the mobility and gun-armed side of things.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I have no idea what type of picks it'd take or the salary cap ramifications...but if somehow we could trade some draft picks (while not bankrupting our draft) and Goff for Watson...i'd do it in a fucking second...Watson is a next level QB

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'm just gonna trust Snead, McVay and the organization.

This may be the first time in my fandom where I trust the coaching AND the FO as much as this, so whatever they decide to do, I'll be fine with.

I do know the price for Watson went up with Wentz staying in Philly...

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Idc how much the cost is. My main question will be is Watson a fit for mcvay scheme? Watson operates primarily out of the gun and that's not how mcvay offense operates. Can mcvay transform his offense to operate out of the gun? I'm pretty sure he can but is he willing too? He hasn't done it with goff who became the #1 pick out of the gun. That's my only concern.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone

View: https://youtu.be/HjBlBIhTFfU

Starts at 8:10.

SAS says rams would offer Goff + picks for Watson and claims he got that info from a text just then from a source. Take that for what it’s worth lol

Goff has over 30 mill of dead money in 2021 and taking on 35 mill from Watson means 65 mill for a Qb.

Never Gonna Happen.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
If they are looking to trade Goff then they better hope his frozen broken thumb doesn't fly off on Saturday... just sayin.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
The Rams trading Goff away at this point would be a gut punch for me as a fan. It'd be like a parent putting your dog down because he shit on the carpet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Guys, you're pissing into the wind. Watson is a 25 year old QB who is already top 10 in the NFL (bordering on top 5 status). Even if the Texans were willing to consider dealing him, there are only a handful of teams that actually have the combination of desire (i.e., want to upgrade on their QB) and sufficient resources to trade for him. We're not one of those teams. The Dolphins and Jets are two examples of teams that have the draft picks to pull it off.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff has over 30 mill of dead money in 2021 and taking on 35 mill from Watson means 65 mill for a Qb.

Never Gonna Happen.

Cap isn't the issue. Watson would only cost us $10.5 million in 2021 if traded. We could make it work. We don't have the resources (draft picks) to pull it off.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Guys, you're pissing into the wind. Watson is a 25 year old QB who is already top 10 in the NFL (bordering on top 5 status). Even if the Texans were willing to consider dealing him, there are only a handful of teams that actually have the combination of desire (i.e., want to upgrade on their QB) and sufficient resources to trade for him. We're not one of those teams. The Dolphins and Jets are two examples of teams that have the draft picks to pull it off.

It's not just about draft capital. But I think if we offered Goff + 2022, 2023 first rounders we might have a shot. But Watson has a no trade clause which means he can veto any trade. He has to approve of the destination. Miami makes sense, but I have a hard time believing he will choose a small market or a bad organization after what he went through in Houston. I really, really doubt he would want to go to the terrible Jets team and franchise given their recent history and needed rebuild.

Would he want to play in LA? Would he want to pair up with McVay? These are big factors..and if he forces his way out, and we are one of the teams he would be "willing" to get traded to... we would have a shot assuming we gave up enough. When has Les ever been scared to make a trade?

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Cap isn't the issue. Watson would only cost us $10.5 million in 2021 if traded. We could make it work. We don't have the resources (draft picks) to pull it off.
You're closer than me,just checked over the Cap looks like a 16 mill hit. With a little over 30 mill for Goff.

Like you posted,pissing in the wind, I read somewhere they will think about it for 3 1's and a couple 2's.

Memphis Ram

Legend
According to overthecap.com jrry32 is correct. The cap hit for the Rams would only be $10.5 million (his base salary). The pro-rated signing bonus affects the Texans.

And if Goff were included in a pre-June 1st trade, while they would have $22.2 million in dead money, the $12.4 cap savings is more than enough to cover Watson's 2021 salary. And there is even more savings for both team in a post June 1st deal.

Compensation? The Rams would probably have to give up another starter along with draft choices.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

Never Gonna Happen.

We said the same thing about both Cooks and Gurley and?

Bottom line is that we just don't know and won't know... well, we won't know until we do.

There are multiple videos from both sides of this that show it would require creativity, but it's not impossible.

Rasp

UDFA
Name
Rasp
How much is everyone happy to give up for Watson on top of Goff?

If we get Watson making the divisional is a minimum. I think I would be happy to trade 2022 + 2023 1st round picks with Goff.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
We said the same thing about both Cooks and Gurley and?

Bottom line is that we just don't know and won't know... well, we won't know until we do.

There are multiple videos from both sides of this that show it would require creativity, but it's not impossible.
Imho with the Cap being what it is going to be in 2021,No Way in Heck.

To correct myself Watson would be a 16 mill hit,Goff 30 mill plus, that's 46 mill.plus

Than in 2022 Watson would be a 40 plus mill hit. Those numbers don't come anywhere near Cooks and Gurley.

Plus reports are Houston wants 3 1's and a Couple 2's.

Now if this was posted in 2022,I could see it, but this year LMMFAO.

Under Center 2021 Will be Goff.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If Watson is traded and that's a big if, the Miami Dolphins will be the landing spot. They will offer up Tua and a ton of draft capital. That trade I could Houston doing.

Ellard80

Legend
The Rams trading Goff away at this point would be a gut punch for me as a fan. It'd be like a parent putting your dog down because he shit on the carpet.

In the end its about winning - not personal feelings. Jared Goff will be rich and famous his entire life. People get fired and sometimes are done for good in this business in almost an instant. It's cuthroat. However don't worry about it because its not going to happen.

I don't see anyway for it to be possible.

Last edited:

Ellard80

Legend

its also about what it costs the texans cap wise... not just us...