Deshaun Watson wants to be traded. Bears?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't disagree, but this is so ironic.

Picture him being the 2018 Goff, kicking ass at GB and all the way through a Super Bowl win! Wow, his value will be SO HIGH!!!

But then, wouldn't you just keep him?
Yep and either way how he plays is going to be crucial to their offseason plans. I don't want to start over at QB. So my hope is they get him back on track.

If he plays poorly and we lose I think the Jared Goff era might be over in LA. I know some will think I'm being dramatic but IMO he's playing for his job here. If you can't take this team with the best defense in the league and a top run game behind Akers to the big dance is it smart to say you're the answer at QB?

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Stephen A is a bullshitter and I doubt he's got an inside line with anyone of importance in the Rams' decision making. And I doubt even more that those in the know would text Stephen A. Where's the connection not like the guy is tight with them or anything.

The Rams run a tight fucking ship so I just don't buy any of this.

That said I do think the Rams called the Texans when this stuff broke. They had to have called them. Rams are aggressive and have their ears to the ground on shit like this. And I know they'd like to have this guy but chances are some other team will be able to give up more and that's if the Texans even put him on the market.
It honestly wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the Rams try to send two 1st rd picks + filler to Houston for DW.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I don't disagree, but this is so ironic.

Picture him being the 2018 Goff, kicking ass at GB and all the way through a Super Bowl win! Wow, his value will be SO HIGH!!!

But then, wouldn't you just keep him?

Of course if he was in 2017/2018 form we would keep him and the discussion around upgrading at QB wouldn't even exist. But that was over 2 full seasons ago now. And what we've seen since then is a steady decline in a lot of areas. You can't just flip a switch and start playing at your peak level again out of the blue, it doesn't work like that. But if he somehow steps up his game and beats GB, that would show a lot. But I personally dont think its fair to judge Goff's play too harshly now with a surgically repaired thumb with pins still in it. If he plays bad people will call for his head, but realistically its sub-freezing temperatures and he cant be close to 100% with that thumb. My personal thoughts on him come from what we saw down the stretch in 2018, and then two full seasons after when he was healthy. But to @Merlin 's point, I dont see how McVay and the front office use this GB game as a measurement for his play or a tipping point to decide whether or not they go after Watson. They will evaluate his play when healthy IMO not when injured.

That being said we are in the playoffs and even though I'm not a Goff fan, I really, really hope he plays a great game and we beat GB. I think our defense matches up extremely well with their O. We also have a top 10 running game and Akers has been great lately, which matches up great against their defense. We just need Goff to play smart, confident football, make the right reads, and not turn the ball over and I honestly think we win this game.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

It's so Irish. Why would the Texans trade away the better qb and still pay more for the inferior qb? Aren't they trying to win?

I think the obvious reason is they are starting another rebuild. The question is are they going to rebuild around DW. It sounds like a no-brainer that it would be "yes." Who knows though?

As of today i'm pretty sure they have no high draft picks(?)
Can't rebuild without 1st, 2nd rd picks.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
But to @Merlin 's point, I dont see how McVay and the front office use this GB game as a measurement for his play or a tipping point to decide whether or not they go after Watson. They will evaluate his play when healthy IMO not when injured.
To be clear I don't think it will be sole use of this game or even the next to evaluate Goff. I think Goff has already been evaluated by McVay. In other words McVay knows he is a plus QB who needs a good OL if we keep him. His poor outings generally have that in common, the poor protections. And in that respect it's the Rams fault for not getting enough OL improvement to set the QB you just paid a fortune to up for success.

But from there what they're going to want to see from him in this game is leadership, quick and accurate reads, and mistake-free ball. If he does those things we are going to beat Green Bay and Jared Goff is going to take a huge step towards reaffirming who he is as a top QB in this league. This is the moment you play for man. Like it or not this is what it's all for, these few games that decide who is the top team.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I would give up Goff, anyone not named Donald or Ramsey, and two first round picks.

This might actually be enticing to them because in most cases like this teams would prefer the player to switch conferences.

If I'm Les I call them right now and say here's what you get:

Goff
2022 first round pick
2023 first round pick
Any one player not named Donald or Ramsey - this could be Woods/Kupp/Akers/Darious Williams - any player of their choosing aside from those two

While Tua is cheaper than Goff, and cap may be an issue for them - from what I've seen of Tua, I don't think he will be a good NFL QB. Goff with a great roster has proven he can make a Super Bowl, and those draft picks will help you form a solid roster.

It's a pipe dream as Houston would likely get better offers than this, but I believe even if we lost Akers or Kupp, that we would be the favorites to win it all next year if we pulled off this trade.

And I'll say this - if rumors are coming along that the Niners are about to trade for him, I would throw in an extra first round pick or two to prevent that from happening

Woods/Kupp/Akers/Darious Williams?

You shut your dirty whore mouth!!!

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
If you're Miami, do you offer Tua, and both 1st round picks, #3 and #18 overall? If you're Houston, how do you say no?

You say no because Tua isn't nearly as good as the hype and picks are all crap shoots.

I like Goff. I feel comfortable saying that I REALLY, REALLY like Goff.

That said, I think in McVay's offense, Watson might be a better fit... I much better fit, even. Even with Wolford, we saw how teams just couldn't really defend us if our QB had wheels... and Watson has WHEELS. Not Lamar Jackson wheels, but Watson is a MUCH better passer...it's not close.

I still think this is purely an academic exercise and Watson goes somewhere else.

My contribution is just trying to move the needle on the discussion so we're all talking apples.

Is the cap hit impossible? No. Improbable, but not impossible. And we've seen how aggressive Snead and Co are willing to be.

Would the Rams consider it? No question. I think the only 5 untouchable players right now are AD, Ramsey, Woods, Kupp, and Akers. That's it. Well, and Whit, but he's a stay or retire dood, so he's not really in consideration.

So, I think the bottom line is that the Rams are surely doing the math and running the scenarios because that's what you have to do, but I think the chances of this happening are remote.

I'm absolutely not arguing that we can or can't do it nor am I arguing that we should or shouldn't do it.

I really like Goff and when Goff is on, he's beaten the best at their best. You can't ask for more than that. I'm in his corner.

That said, if McVay, Snead and the org feel that someone like Watson is a better fit to be perennial Super Bowl contenders, then... welp, those remote chances skyrocket. Do they enter the realm of the reasonable? I dunno. Does it become likely? No clue.

But... short of biting a rung towel in anticipation of this game with Green Bay... not much else to talk about...and as we all know... tongues will wag... LOL.

Ellard80

Legend
I'm a fan, not an exec, so my opinion and feelings about the topic are plenty relevant.

Yeah its your party and you can cry if you want to.

plus i was talking about Goffs feelings not yours...

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You say no because Tua isn't nearly as good as the hype and picks are all crap shoots.
Just trying to have a reasonable discussion about possible trade destinations.
The Rams have no place in this conversation.
If Tua, the 3rd and 18th pick isnt enough for Houston, (and I dont think it is) there is no way to propose a trade with the Rams who cant offer anything remotely close to that

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I asked this question last season and it was immediately shot down. I was on the fence then. Now if it can be done I'm all for it. In fact I firmly believe the rams will be in on this really hard. He is already signed and things like this do not come along very often.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Just trying to have a reasonable discussion about possible trade destinations.
The Rams have no place in this conversation.
If Tua, the 3rd and 18th pick isnt enough for Houston, (and I dont think it is) there is no way to propose a trade with the Rams who cant offer anything remotely close to that

Depends. Goff is significantly better than Wentz who apparently had a pretty sizeable market.

Tua is an unknown who's not shown well at the NFL level thus far, so he's basically a redshirt draft pick.

So a starter who's beaten Rodgers, Brady, Brees and Mahomes is, himself, worth a MUCH larger haul than anyone not a Rams fan might think.

My take is that if McVay were to make a move, it'd be not that Goff can't do it, but the org is aggressive on being the best and finding the best fits.

From a trade perspective, Goff + 2 #1s is FAR more than anyone else can offer and it's not even close. Goff is a known commodity and very capable if not spectacular QB who's already helped lift one franchise out of the gutter with the guidance of an offensive minded HC. Depending on who Houston tabs, if they are from the Belichick school or want to run that offense, Goff could arguably be the better choice than Watson and with Nick Caserio heading to Houston from New England... he may be looking for a HC/OC that run a similar system as he knows how to stock the cupboard for that.

Again, not saying it should happen, but a) it's not as hard as people think and b) it actually makes sense for both franchises if things fall a certain way.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Depends. Goff is significantly better than Wentz who apparently had a pretty sizeable market.
Sizeable market? When? Wentz hasnt been available for a trade yet.
From a trade perspective, Goff + 2 #1s is FAR more than anyone else can offer and it's not even close.
Well, that's just not true, not even close. The #3 and #18 pick in the 2021 draft is worth more than any draft capital the Rams, (or any team devoid of a 2021 1st round pick) can offer. Future picks hold significantly less value than current.
I'm a huge Goff fan, i think he takes an unfair amount of criticism. That said, he isnt tradable. His value is the lowest its been since his rookie year, while his salary is amongst the highest.

Its just silly at this point to try and converse on this. I think the world of Watson, and if he does hit the trade market it will be fun to see who gets him. It is a certainty who wont be getting him. The Rams.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
...or we could just work on solidifying our interior O-Line and go win a bunch of games.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Goff and five first round picks. If that would do it, then DO IT. We've gone this long drafting just fine without one.
Goff and five first rounders? No. SEVEN.
7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 dwarves. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office, cuz yer fuckin’ fired!

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BJgzXJ4AX_Y

Rams43

Hall of Fame
A lot of posters are ignoring two VERY important factors in this potential Watson trade discussion.

So I must repeat myself, I guess.

1. If Watson truly wants to be traded then it is almost certain that the Texans will eventually accommodate him. When was the last time that a star player in his prime insisted on being traded and was not?

2. Watson has a trade approval clause in his contract (almost like he was planning ahead, hmm?). That means that Watson has the Texans by the balls. He will clearly insist on being traded to a team with a favorable situation for him. Rams could definitely be described as a ‘favorable’ situation, although there are others, of course.

Sooooo...

Watson is holding a gun to the head of the Texans and the clock is ticking. Therefore, it comes down to simply only two things.

How serious is Watson about wanting to be traded? If he’s serious, he’s as good as gone.

Are the Rams serious about acquiring Watson in trade? Who knows?

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not claiming that the Rams are the most likely team to get Watson. Only claiming that they could be in the hunt.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Yep and either way how he plays is going to be crucial to their offseason plans. I don't want to start over at QB. So my hope is they get him back on track.

If he plays poorly and we lose I think the Jared Goff era might be over in LA. I know some will think I'm being dramatic but IMO he's playing for his job here. If you can't take this team with the best defense in the league and a top run game behind Akers to the big dance is it smart to say you're the answer at QB?

Eh, Jared is fighting an uphill battle today. Not just with his thumb, playing on the road, but with a compromised offense. If Cam Akers can't get it going the Rams don't really have another player they can turn to.

2021 will be the season that determines whether Goff plays out his contract with the Rams. After an offseason to heal up and hopefully the Rams bolster their offensive line and find another weapon or two.

Last edited:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
As much as I despise not having first round picks, if ever there was a trade that warranted it, Watson would be it. He is absolutely perfect for this team. With him at the helm, I think we are perennial SB favorites in the NFC. To get that, you give up what you need. Outside of AD and Ramsey, I'd offer up 2 firsts, a 3rd, Goff and 1 of whomever they required. Honestly, outside of AD/Ramsey, we don't have any untouchables that cannot be replaced. I love plenty of the guys on our roster, but none more then I'd love Watson leading our team for the next 6 years. We would be 7 point favorites today rather then 7 point dogs.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
For anyone worried about losing draft picks in this hypothetical, would you take any of these over Deshaun? Bold players are the legit hits. These players are the next 6 after the Rams pick that was traded away.

2017 (top 5 pick)- Corey Davis, Jamaal Adams, Mike Williams, CMC, John Ross, Patrick Mahomes.

2018 - Isaiah Wynn, DJ Moore, Hayden Hurst, Calvin Ridley, Rashaad Penny, Terrell Edmunds

2019 - Kaleb McGary, N'Keal Harry, Byron Murphy, Rock Ya-Sin, Jawaan Taylor, Deebo Samuel

2020 (rest are TBD)- K'Lavon Cahisson, Jalen Reagor, Justin Jefferson, Kenneth Murray, Cesar Ruiz, Brandon Aiyuk

Unless you think the team will totally shit the next year and finish with a top 5 pick, losing first rounders isn't the end of the world. And looking at the bolded players, aside from Patrick Mahomes, the rest of the players didn't transform their into contenders.

So yeah, getting Deshaun would absolutely be worth those draft picks.