Derion Kendrick tied for 4th for most penalties

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Derion Kendrick has had a rough go of it in his second year with the Los Angeles Rams. In seven starts (and eight appearances) this season, Kendrick has accounted for the fourth-most penalty yards given up among all players in the NFL.

Kendrick is tied with Kansas City Chiefs offensive tackle Jawaan Taylor for the fourth-most penalty yards (70). On the other hand, he’s tied for the second-most penalties called on him (7) with Jerry Jacobs of the Detroit Lions.

Through the first eight weeks, PFF has given Kendrick an overall coverage grade of 55.6. The second-year cornerback is also coming off arguably his worst game of the season, allowing six receptions for 66 yards and a touchdown on seven targets against the Dallas Cowboys.

Mistakes were expected to occur in the secondary for the Rams this season as they have a largely inexperienced group. But for Kendrick, there haven’t been many positives to outweigh the negative mistakes as we approach the midway point of the season.

Out of the first eight games, Kendrick has committed at least one penalty in five, and he’s registered eight missed tackles. With the Rams trying to decipher who can be long-term fixtures in the secondary, Kendrick will need to perform better down the stretch if he wants to remain a starter.

Story originally appeared on Rams Wire

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Sure seems like they want to give him every opportunity to improve. I guess this is the year to do that. If he's not better by the end of the year I would think they're going to be looking at upgrading his position next year.

Ellard80

Legend
People were pointing to this guy having high grades earlier this year.,

I honestly was baffled by that.

He gets beat and makes bad penalties.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Tomlinson is small, but, how could he be worse then Kendrick? If we are in fact building for the future, it might be wise to get this rookie on the field more.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Gonna say again that Kendrick should be in the slot. He can get help in there quite easily, via rubs or drops by ILBs or Safeties who are in the box anyway. Teams have more threat in the slot nowadays, it is true, but there will always be easier schematic answers inside the hash to help guys like him who lack wheels.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Tomlinson is small, but, how could he be worse then Kendrick? If we are in fact building for the future, it might be wise to get this rookie on the field more.
It's been really interesting that they've chosen to move Durant to outside corner and scrap STAR with Jolly/Lake taking nickel than play Tomlinson.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Gonna say again that Kendrick should be in the slot. He can get help in there quite easily, via rubs or drops by ILBs or Safeties who are in the box anyway. Teams have more threat in the slot nowadays, it is true, but there will always be easier schematic answers inside the hash to help guys like him who lack wheels.
I'm not sure he's got the change of direction to play slot.

dang

Legend
He’s struggling in coverage but it’s his adversity to making tackles that really catches my attention. Haven’t seen a Ram skate away from tackles like that since Marcus Peters. He’s playing with slowness and indecision.

NCRamGuy

Rookie
Name
ManmadeRam
Another reason to get rid of him. Dude has off the field issues and he's not good. Maybe for a Jeff Fisher defense but not for our current standards.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not sure he's got the change of direction to play slot.
That's the one thing he does have, that and he's good at reading intent and using the sideline. His prob is guys separate too quickly once they start actually running. Both him and Witherspoon have been beaten way too much outside after those initial games. Dallas just had a QB who hit the receiver every damn time.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
When you have hands to the face & hood the DL-men.Then call weak bumping to DB’s selectively doesn’t help either.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
When you have hands to the face & hood the DL-men.Then call weak bumping to DB’s selectively doesn’t help either.
I think this is what Winston Churchill meant by a “riddle wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma”.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
That's it cut him loose! :thumbsdown:

Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

To play the slot you have to be smart. Not so sure he fits that role

InfiniteRam

Rookie
All of the DB's are playing average to below average football. FWIW, Kendrick is only giving up 3 completions and about 43 yards per game, when you account for penalties.

I honestly think he's often in position, but he's overthinking and reacting too slow. To be expected for a player with less than one season worth of starts under his belt.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
So done with Kendrick; honestly I think that the reluctance to tackle, his lack of character, and the lack of ability to get takeaways (he hasn't had a single turnover in the pros) are worse than the costly penalties. Put THT in the slot, Durant and Witherspoon on the outside for the rest of the year. Witherspoon because we need to get a good comp pick for him, and Durant and THT to see what they do.

If they're so lackdaisical with Kendrick's penalties, why are they so hesitant to put THT in? Yes, he's had some costly penalties in the preseason, but we need to see what he can do.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure seems like they want to give him every opportunity to improve. I guess this is the year to do that. If he's not better by the end of the year I would think they're going to be looking at upgrading his position next year.
I hope so.
People were pointing to this guy having high grades earlier this year.,

I honestly was baffled by that.

He gets beat and makes bad penalties.
I think he has a high grade when playing zone defense. He’s terrible in man coverage.