Deebo Samuel Type Players

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
When Deebo Samuel asked for a trade, a lot of people were quick to suggest he won’t be the same player as “just a #1 WR”… His true value was his versatility as a mostly WR (77 catches) / sometimes RB (59 rushes) in 2021.

Deebo is 6’0” 210lbs. Nothing special measurement-wise. That said… he is a very physical player with elite RAC-vision and balance.

If Deebo’s value is in his versatility, is that a unique to Deebo thing? Or did Shanahan‘s offense open up the Deebo opportunity?

Makes me wonder; why are there not more Deebo type players that play a little more 50/50 at WR/RB?

Percy Harvin was similar to Deebo, particularly in 2011 with 87 receptions with 52 rushes.

Faulk was great at both, but clearly a running back, first.

Robert Woods had 20 rushes in 2020, but that’s nowhere near the 59 of Deebo in 2021.

Why are there not more players used similarly to Deebo? Is there an advantage having that type option in the playbook?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think a lot of people, Deebo possibly included, forget that his use as an RB was brought on by need because of injuries. I think, yes just a guess, he'll go back to the usage there like he experienced his first tow season at about 1 rush a game much like what McVay did with our WR's Woods was a little over 1 rush a game for 2017-2020 Kupp much less.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
@CGI_Ram I think it will bea rarity in the league because it's punishing on the body and pay disparities. I'm sure Deebo and Cordarelle Patterson want to get paid while they are healthy.

If I recall correctly this took a toll on Harvin and basically ended Faulk's career (that or the lousy turfs in Indy or the Lou).

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I'd say, look no further than our own Cooper Kupp for the same physical traits and abilities as Deebo. As @OldSchool pointed out, Deebo's usage was a matter of necessity.
I wouldn't dare to use Kupp that way and can understand why Deebo wants to go back to being used as a WR first and foremost.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Deebo is pretty unique and I hate him.
That being said.. I think it's pretty obvious he doesn't want to carry the ball as much as he did last year and doesn't want to break a very raw QB in.

nighttrain

Legend
Deebo is pretty unique and I hate him.
That being said.. I think it's pretty obvious he doesn't want to carry the ball as much as he did last year and doesn't want to break a very raw QB in.
can ya blame him?

train

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Me-bo Samuel type players...you mean the ones who cry on the sidelines?

Memento

Name
Jemma
Got to be careful. Aaron Donald cried on the sideline in Green Bay.

True, but AD never trash-talked the Packers like Me-bo did with us. The Green Bay game was business; the Whiners game was personal.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
True, but AD never trash-talked the Packers like Me-bo did with us. The Green Bay game was business; the Whiners game was personal.
Sorry… Deebo talks trash but backs it up on the field and obviously gives a fuck about winning, not just numbers.

He’s a Rams villain, I hate him, but I respect him too.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He is a rare talent. Physical and elusive runner who also has good route ability. But him crying about underneath usage and the extra contact is dumb because that is where he has the most value.

He might be one of those guys whose complaining ruins his career or at least undermines what it could have been. I am enjoying the drama for now at least.

nighttrain

Legend
GB not our Divisional Rival, Whiners big time, as in its fun to beat GB, it's totally necessary to whip the Whiners

train

Memento

Name
Jemma
i would be careful about dissing a passionate player.

just sayin

train
Sorry… Deebo talks trash but backs it up on the field and obviously gives a fuck about winning, not just numbers.

He’s a Rams villain, I hate him, but I respect him too.

I can afford to be a hypocrite; it's my right as a fan of a rival team to his. I heavily dislike (I save actual hate toward Bitchy Brady, Belicheat, those guys.) Me-bo, though; I take whatever he said personally.

Memento

Name
Jemma
GB not our Divisional Rival, Whiners big time, as in its fun to beat GB, it's totally necessary to whip the Whiners

train

And yet none of our players trash-talked the Whiners until the game was well over. And OBJ was classy towards Me-bo. He showed more class in the tip of his pinky finger than Me-bo had in his whole body.