Deadpool's top 10 over-rated and under-rated draft prospects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This from one of the better posters on the Herd that does quite a bit of research for the draft....I found this intersting and would look forward to the feedback from @jrry32 @OldSchool @BonifayRam as well as others.

As far as Over -rated - it feels like I am betraying my own rankings, but that said:

Top 10 overrated:

1. Josh Allen - QB - Wyoming - I worry about his completion percentage, but I have had my reasons to believe its more the talent around him then just all him. But if it is him, and the Browns take him #1 it will be a massive reach.

2. Marcus Davenport - Edge - UTSA - Really a giant fish in a small pond, he over-whelmed inferior talent. he has a high boom or bust potential.

3. Calvin Ridley - WR - Alabama - This years top WR doesn't really hold up to the top wideouts of past drafts, so he might have huge expectations that he can't live up to. i worry about his thin frame.

4. Mason Rudolph - QB - Oklahoma State - Limited vision, statue, average arm. And he probably is drafted in the 2nd round. I hope Arizona, lol.

5. Orlando Brown - OT - Oklahoma - Man, what a mess at the combine. He has the pedigree to excel, but I worry about his serious lack of athleticism. And his weight.

6. Josh Jackson - CB - Iowa - Only 1 year of production, ran ok at best at the combine (ran a 4.42 at his pro day) so there are questions. That said I like him.

7. Shaquem Griffin - LB - UCF - I hate to be that guy (or not) but I know everyone loves his story and how he broke the LBer record 40 time (previously held by everyone's favorite Jon Alston) but he is under-sized with a giant heart and 1 hand. I am concerned he is anything more then a ST demon. (if he goes in day 3 he was not over-rated)

8. Derrius Guice - RB - LSU - Played injured this year and in such a deep RB class, I just don't see what makes him so special that you need to take him in the 1st round.

9. Arden Key - Edge - LSU - Ran a 4.9 at his pro day at 238 lbs, claims he will play around 250 to 255...Left the team for a few months to get right, he was a top 5 prospect before then, came back overweight, slow and then injured.

10. Leighton Vander Esch - ILB - Boise State - another 1 year wonder, was inconsistent and needs to add strength. 1 more year of college would have done wonders for him. And since the Rams have no shot at him, I don't fear for my board safety by putting him on this list.

Top 10 under-rated:

1. Dorance Armstrong Jr. - Edge - Kansas - Kansas changed its scheme on defense leading to Armstrong getting less chances to push the pocket. Plus, he was mis-used as a 246 lb. 43 end, and was basically the only actual player Kansas has on defense. Has the movement skills, motor and ability to be a really good 34 edge.

2. Simmie Cobbs Jr. - WR - Indiana - he dominated Ohio State this year. Big, with enough speed, flypaper hands. Everyone wants these tall WRs to run like Randy Moss, he was a once in a long while player so it ain't happening.

3. Rashaad Penny - RB -SDSU - 2k yard rusher, 5th in Heisman voting, perfect body to be a bellcow tailback, yet is sitting behind 6 or 7 backs in this draft? he'll be a steal for someone.

4. Alex Cappa - OG - Humboldt St. - Size with light feet and a nasty demeanor, if he played for Ohio State he's a 2nd rounder.

5. Josey Jewell - ILB - Iowa - Really reminds me of Denzel Perryman (whom I loved) but somehow he's being talked about in the 3rd or 4th round? Perryman was a 5'-11" 236 lb 4.7 ILB, Jewell is a 6'-1" 235 lb. 4.68 ILB, both are highly instinctual, sure tacklers that can drop into some zone coverage. Perryman was drafted in the 2nd.

6. Dallas Goedert - TE - South Dakota State - Only myself and Mel Kiper Jr. like this TE #1 overall. I think he may be a little stiff for some evaluators taste, but if they are scared of level of competition, they shouldn't be. Since NDSU has won 6 of the last 7 NCs, there have been 4 players that scared me as far as the Bison defense playing: Dallas Goedert, David Johnson, Cooper Kupp and Jake Weineke.

Fun fact - my neighbor (living in the country in North Dakota, neighbor means within a mile or 2) dated Dallas' mom when they were both in HS.

7. PJ Hall - DL - Sam Houston State - Another FCS kid, but ran a 4.78 at 310 lbs. Strong as an ox. Someone is going to get themselves a highly productive penetrating DL.

8. Olasunkanmi Adeniyi - Edge - Toledo - I really like him, and think someone is going to get a power edge with a high motor on day 3. His production is hard to argue and I like guys that are tough with high effort.

9. Tegray Scale - ILB - Indiana - No one is talking about him and I have no idea why. a bit under-sized? 6'-0" 230 lbs. Great instincts (he is a TFL machine) you can see he is a leader, takes great angles and is always in the right place. Oh and 8 picks in his career.

10. Mark Walton - RB - Miami - his injuries are probably pushing him down the draft, but he is a shifty homerun hitting 3 down back that (if he does slide) could be a real steal.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I found this interesting because I concur about Josh Allen not being accurate never translates well to the next level, Kyle Boller comes to mind, also I love Josey Jewell & Dorance Armstrong, Jr. Kirk Ferentz one of the best teachers as a Head Coach in College Football, but I'm a tad biased because a colleague at work played for Ferentz, when he was offensive line coach at Maine.

As to Armstrong, the Kansas football program is a mess and their Head Coach David Beaty is so far over his head, it's just unfathomable and that aids to the fact not utilziing Armstrong correctly, would look forward to him working under Wade Phillips and linebacker coach Joe Barry, who's only over his head when he's a defensive coordinator.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Certainly a fan of D. Armstrong jr. Had him going to the Rams in my mock. I think this guy could thrive in quinn's old spot.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My Initial review would put me close to being in agreement with much of what this poster has said.

Like fanotodd I have ER Durance Armstrong & LB Telgray Scales listed above the more popular ER Og Okoronkwo. I have been working on my first ever mock & have the opinion that the ultra over rated LB'er Shaquem Griffin would be a good 6th rd. #195 selection for us but I would not take him any earlier that the 6th rd. NT PJ Hall would be a excellent 4th rd #111 pick for me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not much to say. We don't see eye to eye.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This from one of the better posters on the Herd that does quite a bit of research for the draft....I found this intersting and would look forward to the feedback from @jrry32 @OldSchool @BonifayRam as well as others.

Okay, let's have a little fun:
3. Calvin Ridley - WR - Alabama - This years top WR doesn't really hold up to the top wideouts of past drafts, so he might have huge expectations that he can't live up to. i worry about his thin frame.

I'm not sure why we're comparing him to top WRs of the past. He's slated to go in the 15 to 30 range. Ridley is a smooth route runner with deep speed. His play strength and thin frame do limit him against press coverage. He'll have to work on his technical skill to improve in that regard. However, Ike Bruce and Marvin Harrison were both skinny as a rail. Ridley is a traditional route runner who wins with smooth change of directional skills, polished route footwork, and consistent breaks. He has reliable hands, but won't win a lot of 50/50 balls. The kid is a great flanker in today's NFL. He might not be an elite #1, but he has a high floor and should be a high-end #2 WR with #1 potential. He's also ready to make an immediate impact.

5. Orlando Brown - OT - Oklahoma - Man, what a mess at the combine. He has the pedigree to excel, but I worry about his serious lack of athleticism. And his weight.

Already explained why I disagree here in past threads.

6. Josh Jackson - CB - Iowa - Only 1 year of production, ran ok at best at the combine (ran a 4.42 at his pro day) so there are questions. That said I like him.

Jackson is rated properly. He's somewhat scheme limited. He's not going to be a great CB in Wade's scheme, but he'll be outstanding in schemes like GW's, McDermott's, and Pete Carroll's. He's an outstanding zone CB with incredible ball-skills. His ability to cover on an island and turn and run with the best is questionable, but if you put him in the right position, he can be an absolute playmaker.

7. Shaquem Griffin - LB - UCF - I hate to be that guy (or not) but I know everyone loves his story and how he broke the LBer record 40 time (previously held by everyone's favorite Jon Alston) but he is under-sized with a giant heart and 1 hand. I am concerned he is anything more then a ST demon. (if he goes in day 3 he was not over-rated)

I don't care if he's undersized. That's what people said about so many quality LBs that I've pimped in the past. He's ridiculously athletic with amazing instincts, an elite motor, and the intangibles you dream of. For everyone who writes this kid off because of his hand, think of Russell Wilson. People wrote him off because he was too short. The guy was an insane athlete (for a QB) with amazing intangibles and great skill/instincts. Wilson and so many others have proved that flaws don't define you. Griffin is a truly stellar athlete with everything you want out of a great LB except for one hand. If you think that hand is going to stop him from being great, you have another thing coming. Come talk to me in three years.

10. Leighton Vander Esch - ILB - Boise State - another 1 year wonder, was inconsistent and needs to add strength. 1 more year of college would have done wonders for him. And since the Rams have no shot at him, I don't fear for my board safety by putting him on this list.

Who cares about "one year wonders?" The guy can play. Turn on the film. Lazy labels like that do nothing for me. Vander Esch is inexperienced. Sure. He was inconsistent this year. Yes. However, he improved throughout the year and put together the best LB film of anyone in this Draft against Oregon in his final game of the year. The guy is a freak athlete with amazing production in 2017 and showed constant improvement. People get so caught up in looking at what a guy is that they fail to consider what a guy can be. Vander Esch has it all. He's got everything you need to be an All Pro LB. Edmunds does too, but I think Vander Esch is the more natural football player. Mark me down as a huge fan of LVE. My goal with my sim team is to trade down a few spots and draft him. I think he'll be one of the steals of the Draft.

1. Dorance Armstrong Jr. - Edge - Kansas - Kansas changed its scheme on defense leading to Armstrong getting less chances to push the pocket. Plus, he was mis-used as a 246 lb. 43 end, and was basically the only actual player Kansas has on defense. Has the movement skills, motor and ability to be a really good 34 edge.

He does absolutely nothing for me. The one redeeming quality I thought he had was that he was an insane athlete who could be coached up. People kept telling me that, so even though I didn't see it on film, I thought it might be there to be unlocked. The guy tested as badly as Hercules Mata'afa did at the Combine. Between the two of them, give me Mata'afa. He at least has a special trait. With Armstrong, I saw good power for his size and somewhat heavy hands. He also has long arms. But he's not going to overpower NFL OTs. And he doesn't have the explosion or athleticism to win the edge or be a dominant speed-to-power rusher. I don't see it at all with him. I see a JAG. We'll see. It's always possible that I'm wrong, but I don't see a trait that will get him wins in the NFL besides effort.

5. Josey Jewell - ILB - Iowa - Really reminds me of Denzel Perryman (whom I loved) but somehow he's being talked about in the 3rd or 4th round? Perryman was a 5'-11" 236 lb 4.7 ILB, Jewell is a 6'-1" 235 lb. 4.68 ILB, both are highly instinctual, sure tacklers that can drop into some zone coverage. Perryman was drafted in the 2nd.

He's not at all like Denzel Perryman, who hasn't really panned out for the Chargers. Perryman was a powerful banger who has been unable to stay healthy because he plays the game with such physicality. Jewell is more like James Laurinaitis. He's instinctive, intelligent, sound, and reliable, but he's a limited athlete. He'll be a solid guy for somebody and stick around in the NFL for a long time.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So much here Den...thanks a bunch on a slow day....
Top 10 overrated:
1. Josh Allen - QB - Wyoming
I remember a guy named Matt Ryan....57% completions in college....didn't he complete like 30 passes in a row against us?
2. Marcus Davenport - Edge - UTSA
Not sure on this one den....may agree....
3. Calvin Ridley - WR - Alabama
He seemed like he was dogging it late in the season....def. not like Cooper w/Raiders
4. Mason Rudolph - QB - Oklahoma State
I like this kids demeanor....I like his size...I think he could be good....
but

Something happens to OSU Cowboys on the way to being decent pros....Call it the curse of Thurman Thomas...my buddies used to love him.
5. Orlando Brown - OT - Oklahoma
ummmm....hahahahahahah....AGREE....LOLOLOL
7. Shaquem Griffin - LB - UCF
Agree here too...
8. Derrius Guice - RB - LSU
Wow....wow...he ran better with Fo-nette....but who wouldn't? I like his physical style...if his body can hold up...he's a good one...can he catch should be the only concern.
9. Arden Key - Edge - LSU
Worse than Mingo....and I liked Mingo...this guy has those birthing hips....with a bird chest...and went to LSU....totally agree...
10. Leighton Vander Esch - ILB - Boise State
Like his attitude....don't like his game....just don't

Top 10 under-rated:
Now we're in my ballpark...
1. Dorance Armstrong Jr. - Edge - Kansas
I like Willis from Kansas St. WAY more....that's a lot more...this guy was getting manhandled in the senior bowl practices....and def. not as fast as expected....didn't I say I really LOVED Willis...
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/jordan-willis?id=2557884
Long-time Kansas State head coach Bill Snyder called Willis "the epitome" of Kansas State football. That's high praise from a Hall of Fame coach who has led the program all but three years since 1989. Willis earned that praise with his play on the field and attitude off of it. He was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year in 2016 and also garnered third-team Associated Press All-American honors, as he made 52 tackles and led his team with 17.5 tackles for loss and topped the conference with 11.5 sacks. Big 12 coaches and media inexplicably left Willis off their all-conference teams in 2015, even though he started every game and made 15.5 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks, while forcing four fumbles (tied for ninth nationally). Willis started each game for the Wildcats as a sophomore, as well (25 stops, 6.5 for loss, four sacks). The Kansas City Star All-Metro pick as a high school senior played in nine games (his one tackle was a sack) his first year in Manhattan.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Good eyes vs. zone read; sees mesh point clearly. Quick responder once he diagnoses the action. Excellent change of direction ability to stay in the hunt. Finishes tackles, rarely allowing runners to escape grasp. Pursuit will not stop until the whistle blows. Proficient with hands. Hands are strong and control the action. Well-schooled with excellent stack-and-shed ability. Good strength in base and plays with adequate contact balance. Stays clean setting edge while spying into backfield. Uses blockers' forward lean against them, sends them tumbling forward. Arm over is a pet move that gives him early wins. Track-stance pass rusher who comes out of the blocks with decent burst to the edge. Hard worker. Productive in sacks and forced fumbles over final two seasons at KSU.
2. Simmie Cobbs Jr. - WR - Indiana
Who??

Before I look this guy up...anyone EVER heard of him?? His name really Simmie??? That sux:rolllaugh:
3. Rashaad Penny - RB -SDSU
Finally, truth at last....SDSU RB's do well if they have good size and...and ....run that 4.4
4. Alex Cappa - OG - Humboldt St.
Manhandled in senior bowl practices...not the athlete I expected....now he's listed as a guard....6th round only...way better prospects...
7. PJ Hall - DL - Sam Houston State - Another FCS kid, but ran a 4.78 at 310 lbs. Strong as an ox. Someone is going to get themselves a highly productive penetrating DL.
Don't know this kid...but I want to....300 lb'er moving at 4.7?????
8. Olasunkanmi Adeniyi - Edge - Toledo
And I saw this Toledo team...in a bowl....think I saw him....nothing specal.
9. Tegray Scale - ILB - Indiana
Think I heard of him....Saffold is enough Indiana players on our team...
10. Mark Walton - RB - Miami -
Who??? Seriously? How I never saw him is...incredible...Think I watched 2 Miami games...the one vs ND was one of them....and they had some defenders out there....didn't notice much on offfense.
I found this interesting because I concur about Josh Allen not being accurate never translates well to the next level
Matt Ryan....Carson Palmer....Mike Vick....Mark Brunell, Phill Sims....and...my fav....Cam Newton
https://www.thephinsider.com/2007/4/16/0619/91876

Comp. %%% is skewed by the offense a QB plays in....his teammates (o-line and receivers)...and play calls...it's easier to complete shorter passes, earlier in the downs...

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/65zs0w/oc_why_585_is_the_magic_number_for_qbs_in_the_nfl/

They claim 58.8% is the magic number....for failure or success.
What does that have to do with threading the needle on 3rd and 7????
As to Armstrong, the Kansas football program is a mess and their Head Coach David Beaty is so far over his head, it's just unfathomable and that aids to the fact not utilziing Armstrong correctly, would look forward to him working under Wade Phillips and linebacker coach Joe Barry, who's only over his head when he's a defensive coordinator.
Meh....Kansas has always Kansas'd
Certainly a fan of D. Armstrong jr. Had him going to the Rams in my mock. I think this guy could thrive in quinn's old spot.
meh...
He does absolutely nothing for me. The one redeeming quality I thought he had was that he was an insane athlete who could be coached up. People kept telling me that, so even though I didn't see it on film, I thought it might be there to be unlocked. The guy tested as badly as Hercules Mata'afa did at the Combine. Between the two of them, give me Mata'afa. He at least has a special trait. With Armstrong, I saw good power for his size and somewhat heavy hands. He also has long arms. But he's not going to overpower NFL OTs. And he doesn't have the explosion or athleticism to win the edge or be a dominant speed-to-power rusher. I don't see it at all with him. I see a JAG. We'll see. It's always possible that I'm wrong, but I don't see a trait that will get him wins in the NFL besides effort.
hmmm, I agree
(y)