Darious Williams quickly making a name for himself with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well not being a Fan I guess. He did have that incident from a few years past getting a DUI. Mcvay(Fisher)stuck with him though,so Inguess I could see that.
Troy Hill though in my book deserves a lot of credit for how he has changed his life & become a starting CB in the NFL. I don’t see him giving up a starting spot soon.
Troy Hill has had more than his share of life management problems while in the college & NFL level. I do not hold any of that against him because he has turned the corner now.

My view of him @ this point in time is he is a good UDFA homegrown average starting outside corner who has earned his late 2019 starting position. He is also an $$$ expensive average starter with little upside if he starts all season.

IMO Darious Williams & David Long would have better performances @ that corner spot than Hill & offer more as long tern starters. Finally, I see Troy Hill playing his last season as a Ram.
.......Bonifay thinks Brian Allen is a guard. Lmao.
You might want to fact-check your above statement by using ROD's search button. The closest you will find is where I posted on Allen being a OG is where I researched his NCAA resume which indicated that he had more time starting @ OG than OC in college thus Allen has the previous experience to play both OG posts.
This was my comments below:
"Brian Allen started more gms in college @ OG than OC by a large amount. Allen played well @ both OG posts. In the NFL he has" Fail Mode" stamped on his forehead presently. He has one serious battle in finding a spot on this 2020 roster because Blythe is our starting OC. This 4th rd pick may not be in any consideration @ starting @ OC & has not shown any ability to play a swing OG role in the NFL......well he appears more like our past OC 4th rd pick next Barrett Jones. Allen better come in strong & sharp or bye."

I have also posted that IMO that in order for Allen to make this 2020 team after he could not earn the starting post @ center over Blythe..... Allen would need to be able to show that he is capable of playing both OG positions as well as being the 2nd best starting center on this 2020 team as a reserve. It's that simple.

With the new additions of interior OL'ers Cabral & Anchrum I consider Allen chances of sticking are less than they were before the draft.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Troy Hill has had more than his share of life management problems while in the college & NFL level. I do not hold any of that against him because he has turned the corner now.

My view of him @ this point in time is he is a good UDFA homegrown average starting outside corner who has earned his late 2019 starting position. He is also an $$$ expensive average starter with little upside if he starts all season.

IMO Darious Williams & David Long would have better performances @ that corner spot than Hill & offer more as long tern starters. Finally, I see Troy Hill playing his last season as a Ram.

You might want to fact-check your above statement by using ROD's search button. The closest you will find is where I posted on Allen being a OG is where I researched his NCAA resume which indicated that he had more time starting @ OG than OC in college thus Allen has the previous experience to play both OG posts.

I have also posted that IMO that in order for Allen to make this 2020 team after he could not earn the starting post @ center over Blythe..... Allen would need to be able to show that he is capable of playing both OG positions as well as being the 2nd best starting center on this 2020 team as a reserve. It's that simple.

With the new additions of interior OL'ers Cabral & Anchrum I consider Allen chances of sticking are less than they were before the draft.

It will be interesting how things move forward. My opinion now is to watch things play out.
As I believe coach pointed out about 55 instead of 53 roster spots,which benefits both udfa(ascending players) as well teams that can develop players.

It should help The Rams at least add to keeping another O”Lineman. With last years rule on Kickoffs hurt having a big lineman to help form a wall.

Cheers - I thought Clay & Robey Coleman we’re going to be kept early on.The fact is The Rams benefited for having such veteran leadership on the team. Now after years have that presence Among there own.

I also think Eric Weedle has a chance to become a H/C at some point in his career after the NFL. He was always next to Mcvay even on offense & helped with scouting of 2 2020 draft picks.
I also think your take on Andrew Whitworth over the last few years have been off. I also believe he will not go into coaching,but has been a GREAT HOF Ram on & off the field.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Rams CB Darious Williams may win a starting role in 2020

The LA Rams defense will not be simply lining up in a base 3-4 defense and running against whatever the offense designs to throw at them. Instead, the defense will use a four-man defensive front at a time. Other times it will be a nickel package with five defensive backs. And through it all, the LA Rams will be sliding defensive backs into unusual places, with unexpected responsibilities, and at odd alignments. It will all be part of the coaching philosophy of new defensive coordinator Brandon Staley.

That could be the key to a very adept cornerback Darious Williams getting a starting role for the team in 2020. And if not a starting role, perhaps simply a significant share of the defensive snaps. Right now the LA Rams appear to be loaded, absolutely loaded, with talent in the defensive backfield. The Rams have presumed starters in cornerbacks Jalen Ramsey and Troy Hill, with safeties John Johnson and Taylor Rapp. The safeties had been augmented with rookies Terrell Burgess and Jordan Fuller, while the cornerbacks have returning veterans David Long Jr, Andonis Alexander, Donte Deayon, and Darious Williams to compete for playing time.

Watch for Wiliams work ethic

But it was Williams who stepped up in 2020. As the Rams continued to shuffle and retool practically all positions and roles, it was Williams who stepped up in the last three games. In fact, in his last two games, he had two interceptions, four passes defended, and five tackles. For the season, he played just 221 defensive snaps.

He is entering his third NFL season, a period for defensive backs where their careers either take off or plateau and begin a disappointing descent. Despite a small stature of just 5-foot-9 and 187 pounds, this guy has a great nose for the ball. Is it any wonder that he had the fewest starts and defensive snaps, yet still managed to tie for the team lead with two interceptions?

Ninja DB

The LA Rams defense is conceptual right now. A description of “here’s what they plan to do” story. And that’s all we can do until the guys line up and play football, whenever that may be. But the characteristics of the defense are not newly invented. Rather, Brandon Staley has borrowed much of his defensive strategy from that of his former mentor Vic Fangio. In Fangio’s defense, the team works hard to show one type of defense, but run with another. And that deception forces the quarterback to process what he sees for a fraction longer.

Williams is the type of defensive back who can force a pause out of the quarterback. He has a great instinct over reading the quarterback’s eyes and can follow the football’s arc to make a play. What he needs is a chance to play. That could be happening sooner than you expect. You see, the Rams will be running different rotations and groupings onto the field to keep the offense on their heels. With sub-package frequency, even “non-starters” can get as many as 40-50 percent of the defensive snaps in this defense. Even absent the starter designation, getting Williams on the field can be a huge boost to an already incredibly gifted defensive backfield.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
REFRESHING & UPDATING THIS PRE TRAINING CAMP THREAD POST

Cameron DaSilva
Sun, October 4, 2020, 9:40 PM

Darious Williams wasn’t a recognizable name for most fans prior to this season. He was a lesser-known cornerback who had started just three career games since going undrafted in 2018. The Rams only acquired him after the Ravens waived him two years ago, almost to the day (Oct. 6).

But after four weeks as L.A.’s No. 2 cornerback opposite Jalen Ramsey, Williams has quickly become a household name for Rams fans. For better or worse, he’s found himself at the center of attention in each of the last three weeks with key plays for his defense.

In Week 2, he picked off Carson Wentz with a spectacular diving interception in the end zone, completely flipping the momentum in a game that was closer than the Rams would’ve liked it to be. Last week against the Bills, he was flagged for pass interference, a questionable call that cost the Rams a victory. On Sunday, Williams bounced back with one of his best performances yet, and certainly his top play of the young season.

With the Giants down eight points and all the way at the Rams’ 18-yard line, Williams dove and picked off a Daniel Jones pass near the sideline. He maintained possession all the way through and didn’t allow the ball to hit the ground at all, sealing the win for Los Angeles.

If not for that play, it’s possible the Giants would’ve marched all the way to the end zone and tied the game. But Williams didn’t allow them the chance to. His recovery speed and awareness to look back at the quarterback were something out of the book of an elite cornerback, trusting his instincts and making a perfect break on the ball.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Darious Williams continues unlikely breakout career
The former undrafted free agent out of a college that didn’t have football five years ago looks like a star
By Kenneth Arthur
1601915565460.png

In 2015, Jalen Ramsey was focused on finishing a career at Florida State that was destined to last no longer than three years after the Seminoles had landed the prized five-star high school football and track recruit. Ramsey only finished with three interceptions over 41 career games but he was a consensus All-American that year, along with the likes of Deshaun Watson, Derrick Henry, Christian McCaffrey and Joey Bosa.

In 2015, Troy Hill went undrafted out of Oregon and he signed a three-year, $1.58 million contract after the draft with the Cincinnati Bengals. Hill made the practice squad and was briefly promoted to the active roster later in the season before being waived and briefly picked up by the New England Patriots. On the final day of the year, he was claimed by the Los Angeles Rams and he remains on the team five years later.

In 2015, Sean McVay was 29 years old and in his second season as offensive coordinator in Washington. Though the team’s rushing offense went to hell, Kirk Cousins led the NFL in completion percentage and established himself as an NFL starter and that was the last time Washington made the postseason.

John Johnson was a junior at Boston College, starting for the first time and turning himself into a prospect who’d be a third round pick of the Rams two years later. A sophomore Taylor Rapp was leading Chris Petersen’s highly-ranked defense at the University of Washington. Brandon Staley was named as a defensive coordinator for the first time, landing the job at John Carroll University. And Jordan Fuller was the Gatorade Player of the Year for New Jersey at Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan.

But Darious Williams, a player who as of now has established himself as the second most dangerous player in LA’s secondary and a verifiable explanation for the Rams have one of the top pass defenses in the league after four games, didn’t even have a football program in 2015.

Williams was a no-star, no-hype, nobody-knows-who-he-is recruit out of Creekside High School in Saint Augustine, Florida in 2013. He first chose to play at D-III Marietta College in Ohio, a plan that lasted one year before returning to Jacksonville for what’s only been described as “family issues.”

At that point, Williams had no football home. He wouldn’t play again for quite a while. William eventually had a walk-on tryout for the University of Alabama-Birmingham and it was over so quickly that Williams assumed he had flunked his chance. He would make the team but then came the moment went UAB didn’t even have a football team anymore.

In 2015.While all of those Rams above were enjoying the fruits of their hard work in 2015, Darious Williams was wondering if he even had a football program to play for, a small one at that. The type that was on the brink of collapse. Former UAB players who have made the NFL is a short list headed by Roddy White, Bryan Thomas and Joe Webb and from all the background reports I’ve run on players in the league recently, Williams has to qualify as the most “miraculous.”

But 2015 is only when things appeared to come to an end and it’s still taken five years for Williams to emerge as a bonafide starter in the league and potentially an ideal complement to Ramsey in LA’s secondary.

The UAB football program returned and by 2017, Williams had become one of the brightest stars in the country to not play at a power five school. ProFootballFocus highlighted him as a first team All-American and he had made the NFL radar thanks to his length and speed and 26 passes defensed with six interceptions over two seasons.

In typical fashion, the Baltimore Ravens landed Williams after the draft and he made the final 53 man roster, joining a secondary with Marlon Humphrey, Brandon Carr, Tony Jefferson and Eric Weddle and making it over players such as Darren Waller, Breshad Perriman and Gus Edwards, all of whom were cut in 2018. But the Ravens somehow missed the boat on seeing his long term potential and he was released in October of that year.

The Rams didn’t hesitate to claim him and amid a Super Bowl run, kept him around. Williams made his debut on LA’s defense in Week 7 against the Atlanta Falcons, recovering a fumble for a touchdown while getting in on 19 snaps. He’d play in 24 snaps the next week but then missed three games with an ankle injury. When Williams returned, he got in work as a full time player on defense over the final three games.

In his first start, he picked off Jimmy Garoppolo.

Magnifique défense de Jalen Ramsey qui dévie cette passe de Jimmy Garoppolo, et Darious Williams l’intercepte ! #LARams pic.twitter.com/hi3E9yNgTR
— NFL France (@NFLFrance) December 22, 2019
In his second start, he picked off Kyler Murray.

Travin Howard dévie cette passe de Kyler Murray, et Darious Williams l’intercepte ! #LARams pic.twitter.com/kg0bN9Tbe3
— NFL France (@NFLFrance) December 29, 2019
Williams also had four total passes defensed in those final two games but during the 2020 offseason, it wasn’t clear how McVay and Staley would choose to move the chess pieces around Ramsey. Troy Hill had also seemed to play surprisingly well in 2019 and he had a much more established reputation. Without preseason games and a closed off training camp, the mystery of Williams and Hill and David Long and who would start at nickel or outside remained a case for the NFL Scooby Doo’s out there but now we know that not only does Ramsey have a partner in crime, he may need to do some catching up.

In his fourth start, Williams picked off Carson Wentz, preserving LA’s lead in the third quarter by snatching it away at the goal line.

Darious Williams picks off Carson Wentz in the endzone! #RamsHouse pic.twitter.com/OSENAbd50O
— uSTADIUM (@uSTADIUM) September 20, 2020

This is what Carson Wentz saw when he let go of that pass that was intercepted by Darious Williams. The ability to recover for a DB is so, so crucial. pic.twitter.com/sYDbjHh621
— Sosa K (@QBsMVP) September 22, 2020

This is the view at the time of the throw. You can see why Wentz made the throw, but Darious Williams made up ground and undercut Arcega-Whiteside.

Via NGS. pic.twitter.com/GsSDTe2Yj9
— Seth Walder (@SethWalder) September 20, 2020
In his sixth start, Williams picked off Daniel Jones, this time to seal a win for Los Angeles and to keep them in the hunt during the early stages of a battle for the NFC West. Since he became a starter only seven games ago, Williams has four interceptions and seven passes defensed. Only Pierre Desir of the Indianapolis Colts has more picks in that timeframe, as he had two interceptions in Week 16 of 2019 and two interceptions on Sunday, plus a fifth in between.

PICKED by Darious Williams! #RamsHouse
: #NYGvsLAR on FOX
: NFL app // Yahoo Sports app: https://t.co/024EzSafTB pic.twitter.com/3UBG45npjH
— NFL (@NFL) October 4, 2020
The Rams have extended Ramsey, Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods recently but what are they going to do about Williams, if anything? He’s set to be a 28 year old restricted free agent next year, so Los Angeles has the option to retain him at a reasonable sum, which seems so likely as to just lock it in right now. The other choice being to see what Williams ends up being worth to other teams depending on how the next 13 weeks go for him and the Rams.

Five years ago, Williams wasn’t even a fantasy within a dream of becoming an NFL player, let alone was anyone aware that one day he’d be a budding 27 year old star for a pass defense ranked in the top three for net yards per pass attempt allowed. In 2015, Williams didn’t even know if he had a defense to play for in college. In 2020, he’s been one of top defenders in the pros.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I love me some Williams. He's a great CB2. Always in position, and has some good ball instincts when he breaks, I like how he gets his head around and looks for it. If he keeps playing like this he's going to put up some good INT numbers too because he'll keep getting action. You can't throw at Hill every play.

Also re: Hill if the staff likes Long or Burgess at all either of them should be looking attractive right now in the slot.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Love this front office's ability to find reliable starters/depth across the multiple aisles. With the healthy plethora of talent we have in our roster, it allows us to redshirt late rounders/UDFA to focus on picking up the speed of the game without shooting their confidence.

Williams, Kiser, and Okoronkwo are examples of players thriving in that system.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh and btw re: the secondary... They've made it pretty tough for teams to pass on them overall (4th overall in the league in passer rating against) and that's in spite of 50% of the games being without the stud safety they unearthed in Fuller. They're also sitting 8th in passing yards against and 3rd in passing yards per attempt. The latter tells us teams are dishing that shit quick and probably because of AD which helps to compensate a bit for our edge rush.

Where we've dipped from last season is our run defense. Thing is, the stats are kind of misleading too because they've been padded by QB runs due to our poor contain. So IMO we're a middle of the pack defense in run defense (vice 21st which is where we sit right now in ypc).

Translation to my mind at least is that we lack quality talent at LB. That's not going to change until the draft if then, so even though it's early I think this defense will finish in that same 10 to 15 range they've been around (we were 17th last season). But we are a tough team to pass on believe it or not which is a good thing to have IF your offense can light up opposing defenses.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And lastly I'll say again I think Rapp should play WILB for us. Once we get Fuller back I think that happens. Call it a sub if you want, but he should be in there because he has good natural ability to anticipate angles and whatnot and we're going to need his speed and athleticism vs the running QBs on the sched particularly the division games. He'd also be better than any LB on the roster when the call requires him to man up.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The emergence of Williams is HUGE for us. The best part about it is that we don't need to invest any draft capital in the secondary next year:

Fuller/Rapp/Burgess for two safety spots

Ramsey/Williams
Burgess/Long for nickel

Deayon promoted to the active roster

This development gives us so much flexibility to just focus on ILB and EDGE.

We will likely draft another safety high as we like to use three and Burgess could end up as the nickel CB, but this is awesome news!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And lastly I'll say again I think Rapp should play WILB for us. Once we get Fuller back I think that happens. Call it a sub if you want, but he should be in there because he has good natural ability to anticipate angles and whatnot and we're going to need his speed and athleticism vs the running QBs on the sched particularly the division games. He'd also be better than any LB on the roster when the call requires him to man up.

PLUS our run defense is underwhelming right now anyways

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Williams is a heck of a player and got screwed on that DPI call.

Psycho_X

Legend
One great way of countering other deficiencies on defense is winning the turnover battle. Williams is a ball hawk which seems to be rare these days. So sick of defensive backs always playing with their backs to the QB. Williams gets his head turned so well and reacts. Love a good underdog story so he's becoming one of my favorite players lately. Looking forward to see what stats he can end the season with since having Ramsey is going to force QBs to throw Williams way.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
One great way of countering other deficiencies on defense is winning the turnover battle. Williams is a ball hawk which seems to be rare these days. So sick of defensive backs always playing with their backs to the QB. Williams gets his head turned so well and reacts. Love a good underdog story so he's becoming one of my favorite players lately. Looking forward to see what stats he can end the season with since having Ramsey is going to force QBs to throw Williams way.
I had never seen Williams in an interview until today. Seems like a solid dude.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
They have to find super steals like this guy that works for peanuts, with all the huge contracts our star players make.