Darious Williams quickly making a name for himself with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Darious Williams has caught the eye of Rams' new defensive coordinator

Cameron DaSilva

No position group has undergone more changes for the Rams in recent years than the secondary. In Sean McVay’s first season, Kayvon Webster and Trumaine Johnson were the primary corners with Lamarcus Joyner, Maurice Alexander and John Johnson at safety.

In 2018, Marcus Peters and Aqib Talib arrived. Last year, both players were traded and replaced by Jalen Ramsey and Troy Hill. At safety, Taylor Rapp, Eric Weddle and Johnson all started games.

More changes are on the horizon in 2020 with Nickell Robey-Coleman gone and Weddle retired. David Long Jr. would seem like a logical replacement for Robey-Coleman in the slot, since he was a third-round pick a year ago, but don’t count out Darious Williams.

Full Article--
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BTW if the Ravens cut anybody I would claim him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
LA Rams Darious Williams leads defensive backs competition

The LA Rams have a surprisingly deep and talented group of players in their defensive backfield. Surprisingly, because the team traded away two household names in 2019 in Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters. Deep because the LA Rams boast 16 players. Talented because all 16 players have valid reasons to expect playing time in 2020.

When planning for the new season, we had anticipated that the starting defensive backfield for the LA Rams would be 6-foot-1 208-pound cornerback Jalen Ramsey, 6-foot-0 208-pound safety Taylor Rapp, 6-foot-0 209-pound safety John Johnson, and 5-foot-11 183-pound cornerback Troy Hill. In fact, we had compared them to North America’s big game rams, all but sealing them as the four starters.

Darious Williams pleasant surprise

While Troy Hill started nine games for the Rams, newcomer cornerback Darious Williams started in three games for the Rams and played very well. The 5-foot-9 187-pound Williams was originally signed after the 2018 NFL Draft by the Baltimore Ravens. When the Ravens released Williams, the LA Rams claimed him off waivers in October 2018. It was likely Williams play which allowed the Rams to make the financial reason not to renew the contract of slot cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman.

View: https://twitter.com/lindseythiry/status/1263559051511726081?s=21

And yes, Williams knows how to play.

View: https://twitter.com/pff_rams/status/1263864649272799232?s=21

That’s 16 players from a group where the Rams have carried 12 into the regular season. Who stays and who goes? That’s a decision for another day. But the LA Rams have one of the most underrated defensive backfields in the NFL.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
After observing Darious Williams play after he arrived here in LA in October 2018 from the Ravens...... (I found his college story also interesting) ....... I was just impressed with everything I saw from this little kid when he was on the field of play playing with the big boys. Last season in 2019 he played in 12 gms & finished 3 as our starting outside corner.

With our veteran Nickel Back NRC released many here have anointed Rookie Terrell Burgess to NRC post already. I would not make that projection. In fact, I posted recently that I thought that DW would overtake Troy Hill as starter. Most here poo poo'd that. I believe that DW is a needed playmaker in this secondary.

I posted back early in March 2019 before the 2019 draft that I was of the opinion that before the 2019 TC & pre season I had listed all our DB's & commented saying (IMO DW is most talented & skilled corner reserve). Then I still upheld my view on DW back before TC opening last season again posting positive on DW (Darious Williams may be the best talented outside corner of all the depth. I would think that our CB coach Aubrey Pleasant is very anxious to have Darious here in the Mimi Camp & Training Camp to test run him to see just what he has. I expect it to be a good surprise.

Now is the time for DW to go out there & earn & stake claim to a starting position in this secondary.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Which tea m did we claim DW from? Was it the Ravens?

TRANSACTIONS: Acquired via waivers by the Los Angeles Rams. (10/8/18)...released by the Baltimore Ravens (10/6/18)...signed with the Ravens as a rookie free agent (5/4/18).

PRO: Made Rams debut (12/30/18)...was with the Baltimore Ravens through Weeks 1-5...appeared in three games between Weeks 2-4 for Baltimore.

2018 SEASON: Played in three games (Weeks 2-4) with the Ravens...did not record any statistics...made Rams debut in the final game of the regular season...vs. San Francisco (12/30): Made first appearance as a Ram...played in four defensive plays and 16 special teams plays.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Honestly, I'd go with Ramsey, Long and Williams in the slot. This is not an insult to Hill, but I think that they are all better than our options (although I believe that Burgess will take many snaps in a big nickel.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Staley is inheriting a lot of nice pieces in the secondary. But I expect we're going to see a higher expectation in zone, vice the primary focus on man coverage that we had with Wade. They're going to still man up but will have to play better in zone basically. So that means there is room for some churning of the depth chart in the secondary.

Burgess will probably win the nickel CB role. Why? Because he should be good at it, and it's the easiest way to get him on the field. That gives us an advantage in subbing to have a guy like him who can do so many different things. Where you might get a monkey wrench thrown in is if he beats out JJ for a primary safety job. There's going to be a lot of focus put on the safeties IMO. And JJ has no real advantage over the newcomer in scheme, not to mention he's probably a FA loss after the season. So yeah I think that is possible if Burgess comes in on fire. Either way the challenge is real for JJ IMO.

I have to think CB2 is wide open. Should be fun to watch these guys compete for it. Before they drafted Burgess I figured Long would be the nickel CB and that's still possible of course but more likely is that Long, Hill, and Williams duke it out for CB2. That's gonna be fun to watch unfold in camp, can't wait for the camp reports on that battle.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly, I'd go with Ramsey, Long and Williams in the slot. This is not an insult to Hill, but I think that they are all better than our options (although I believe that Burgess will take many snaps in a big nickel.
Burgess hater

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I predict that Burgess will be in the slot depending on if teams use 11 or 12 personnel. Otherwise, Long or Williams will be in the slot.

I'm surprised Long is having trouble surpassing Hill and Williams on the depth chart, especially with his size advantage. Maybe something else is going on there.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

All Positions and I would not only cut Brian Allen once, I would cut him twice.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
All Positions and I would not only cut Brian Allen once, I would cut him twice.

You sure you don't want to cut Kolome or Demby before Allen? I mean, I'd cut Allen myself, but I'd certainly those two before him.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You sure you don't want to cut Kolome or Demby before Allen? I mean, I'd cut Allen myself, but I'd certainly those two before him.

Fair enough I concur, but with the final cut down, I cut Allen for a Raven....Nevermore.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
After observing Darious Williams play after he arrived here in LA in October 2018 from the Ravens...... (I found his college story also interesting) ....... I was just impressed with everything I saw from this little kid when he was on the field of play playing with the big boys. Last season in 2019 he played in 12 gms & finished 3 as our starting outside corner.

With our veteran Nickel Back NRC released many here have anointed Rookie Terrell Burgess to NRC post already. I would not make that projection. In fact, I posted recently that I thought that DW would overtake Troy Hill as starter. Most here poo poo'd that. I believe that DW is a needed playmaker in this secondary.

I posted back early in March 2019 before the 2019 draft that I was of the opinion that before the 2019 TC & pre season I had listed all our DB's & commented saying (IMO DW is most talented & skilled corner reserve). Then I still upheld my view on DW back before TC opening last season again posting positive on DW (Darious Williams may be the best talented outside corner of all the depth. I would think that our CB coach Aubrey Pleasant is very anxious to have Darious here in the Mimi Camp & Training Camp to test run him to see just what he has. I expect it to be a good surprise.

Now is the time for DW to go out there & earn & stake claim to a starting position in this secondary.

Really don’t & still don’t understand your disrespect for Troy Hill, as I’ve stated D.Williams is going to find his way on the field. Troy Hill is going to start either way. How that plays out will be determined.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Really don’t & still don’t understand your disrespect for Troy Hill, as I’ve stated D.Williams is going to find his way on the field. Troy Hill is going to start either way. How that plays out will be determined.
What disrespect?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Well as far as a guy that has been solid about The O’Lines depth,Brian Allen is a question mark for sure. Right now I see him as a backup center at best ?

Bonifay thinks Brian Allen is a guard. Lmao. I mean Austin Blythe to me is a Center that is a good swing guy just in case ? Brian Allen would then be the Center. I can not see him playing guard at all except maybe in preseason. Which is funny bethel was handed the starting center job last season without playing either spot . Wow

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What disrespect?

What disrespect?

Well not being a Fan I guess. He did have that incident from a few years past getting a DUI. Mcvay(Fisher)stuck with him though,so Inguess I could see that.
Troy Hill though in my book deserves a lot of credit for how he has changed his life & become a starting CB in the NFL. I don’t see him giving up a starting spot soon.