Danny Amendola: Rams' offer wasn't close

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21969983/danny-amendola-rams-offer-wasnt-close" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... asnt-close</a>

Danny Amendola entered the offseason saying his “number one plan” was to stay with the Rams.

But he said the Rams' offer paled in comparison to what he ultimately received from the Patriots -- $28.5 million over five years – as well as offers he received from other teams.

“I had three or four head-and-shoulders opportunities that were far outweighing what the Rams had offered, but I understand that it's a business,” Amendola said on ESPN 101 in St. Louis, via sportsradiointerviews.com. “I understand that they have numbers. They value me as they will. And it turned out that other teams valued me a little higher and so that's the way it goes.”

Wes Welker's replacement in New England, Amendola said he's hoping to catch passes from Tom Brady soon.

“I've talked with Tom a couple times,” said Amendola, 27. "We're just trying to get some scheduling down, when we wanna get together and throw here, starting probably next week and then go from there. … I'm ready to get working with him.”

The Rams essentially replaced Amendola with tight end Jared Cook, signing him to a five year, $35.1 million deal that includes $19 million guaranteed. Cook will line up in the slot where Amendola usually did.

Amendola caught 85 balls in 2010, but injuries limited him to 12 games over the past two seasons.

Interview with Brian Stull --

[mp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2013/03/03252013192541.mp3[/mp3]

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Cook will line up in the slot where Amendola usually did.
Concerning Cook in the slot, am I mistaken, or was Fisher asked that very question a few days ago where said that he had "other plans at that position."

just sayin. :whome?:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, it seems the Rams valued him similarly to where I had him...3.5 to 4 million a year. Good for you, Danny, for getting a better offer. Good luck with NE.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
jrry32 said:
Well, it seems the Rams valued him similarly to where I had him...3.5 to 4 million a year. Good for you, Danny, for getting a better offer. Good luck with NE.
I agree. If the guy could stay healthy, he would have never hit free agency. But missing 20 games out of 32 and finishing only 8 of those games is very discouraging.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The Dude said:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21969983/danny-amendola-rams-offer-wasnt-close" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... asnt-close</a>

Danny Amendola entered the offseason saying his “number one plan” was to stay with the Rams.

But he said the Rams' offer paled in comparison to what he ultimately received from the Patriots -- $28.5 million over five years – as well as offers he received from other teams.

“I had three or four head-and-shoulders opportunities that were far outweighing what the Rams had offered, but I understand that it's a business,” Amendola said on ESPN 101 in St. Louis, via sportsradiointerviews.com. “I understand that they have numbers. They value me as they will. And it turned out that other teams valued me a little higher and so that's the way it goes.”

Wes Welker's replacement in New England, Amendola said he's hoping to catch passes from Tom Brady soon.

“I've talked with Tom a couple times,” said Amendola, 27. "We're just trying to get some scheduling down, when we wanna get together and throw here, starting probably next week and then go from there. … I'm ready to get working with him.”

The Rams essentially replaced Amendola with tight end Jared Cook, signing him to a five year, $35.1 million deal that includes $19 million guaranteed. Cook will line up in the slot where Amendola usually did.

Amendola caught 85 balls in 2010, but injuries limited him to 12 games over the past two seasons.

Well which one was it Danny,,, "FAR OUTWEIGHING" or "a little higher" ?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Used go love the guy, now not so much. Yes Danny, we all know its a business, but the fact is that you are now a cheatriot. Piss off......

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What I love about our new brass; they know how to value players.

When Danny A appeared to be seeking more than that value... they shifted their attention toward a player (Cook) that regardless of the dollars involved fit that value equation.

I have no hard feelings for Amendola, but I understand (with his health track record) why we didn't over pay for him. There is only so much money to go around. What you pay for needs to be on the field.

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
Danny's gonna have it good....but hell, so are we. It was one of those things where it sucks to see one of your guys go but at the end it worked out better this way for both sides. I'll miss Danny and Jackson and even Gibson, yet I still refuse to think we took a step backward with their loss...

Speeps

Starter
You want to know Danny Amendola's value? He scored one more touchdown than Brian Quick, and had much more snaps than Quick. That's his value. He's not a guy that was going to tear it up in our system.

NE's offense is a good fit for Danny, so naturally they will have him value higher. I think his contract is huge for what he will bring to the table. There's a reason STL let him walk, and it's not because we couldn't afford him.

fearsomefour

Legend
Not gonna bag on Amendola. I really liked his game, good hands, very hard worker.
I really like the idea of Cook in the slot. Creates a lot of mismatch problems. The fact that Cook has the potential (I say potential because he has never had a big year receiving) to fill a couple of roles is big. This is the same reason I like the idea drafting Austin (wr/return). Cook improves the depth at TE and while not a great blocker can play with his hand down. He can split out wide or play in the slot. In the slot matched up vs. a LB or S a real chance to stetch the field down the seem. The prospect of a set with Cook, Kendricks, Austin, Givens and either Pead, Quick or Pettis is exciting to me. You can line up two TEs, go 1 TE or go empty back field. A D is going to have to pick its poisen, either play a base run D and risk Cook and Austin (if he was at RB) splitting out or play a nickel or dime and risk facing a two TE run O. Cook can be used so many ways. Amendola was a one position guy....he is very good at it and I wish we could have kept him, but, I like the direction the O is moving.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
fearsomefour said:
Not gonna bag on Amendola. I really liked his game, good hands, very hard worker.......................................................................
............ Amendola was a one position guy....he is very good at it and I wish we could have kept him, but, I like the direction the O is moving.

Agreed.
I'd like to see DA used in our O the way the Pats are going to use him.

If Cook pans out Hendricks keeps moving forward (both of which I expect) We are as good or better than the Pat's NOW.

IOW I expect big things from our two sophs.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is a risk for the Patriots because Brady, and IMO they overpaid for DA to give Brady that type of player, is used to always having Welker. He has missed very few games over the last 5 or 6 years. DA has not been anywhere near as durable so the Patriots better hope he stays healthy or they just tossed away a big chunk of cheddar. They are essentially giving him #2 type of money and he is not that type of guy. And because of the contract it will hurt them a bit with dead money if they decide to cut him after one of two years.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The Dude said:

Interview with Brian Stull --

[mp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2013/03/03252013192541.mp3[/mp3]

I don't blame him a bit. Good for him getting paid.
At his age this was his only chance to get a big contract.

In reality he will never see the 28.5 mil. He has something like 10 mil. guaranteed which is about 2 years salary. After that he will be restructured to the vet minimum or cut because that's what the Pats do.

superfan24

Starter
Not gonna lie I think we will miss Danny a bit. Hopefully Pettis can step into a bigger role to complement Cook. I'll get over Danny soon, but never SJ :cry:
Now that was tough.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
superfan24 said:
Not gonna lie I think we will miss Danny a bit. Hopefully Pettis can step into a bigger role to complement Cook. I'll get over Danny soon, but never SJ :cry:
Now that was tough.

Sj had 4tds last year and started 15 or 16 games.... The year before he had 5tds. We wont miss his production at all!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It was tough seeing DA go, but we'll survive, we did ok without him on the field last year ;) and to reiterate what someone else said his TD count wasn't all that great, it's not like we've lost an elite player.

A good guy, a 110% athlete who I wish all the best for in NE, but he didn't make of break our offense.

It's interesting to read in other forums that a lot of people blame Bradford for DA's injury record, it's all to do with Bradford's poor passing!!!