Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 prospects for 2018 NFL Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft
Jan. 26, 2018

I skipped down to the area where the Rams will be selecting.

RANK#16

Mike-Hughes-180123-200x200.jpg

Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

Hughes is a fluid, agile cornerback prospect with the versatility to play inside or outside. He has good size and excels in press coverage, where he incorporates a two-hand jam and rarely allows a free release. He has very quick feet. He redirects and mirrors opponents with ease. From off coverage, Hughes has a fluid pedal and shows some pop out of his plant/drive. He's rarely out of phase in coverage, but when he is, he has the speed to recover. His ball awareness is excellent. He isn't a physical tackler, but he goes low and gets the ball carrier on the ground. Hughes did have an off-the-field issue at his previous school (North Carolina). Overall, Hughes is an outstanding cover cornerback and he's ready to start right away at the next level.

RANK#20

jackson-donte-180122-200x200.jpg

Donte Jackson, CB, LSU

Jackson is an undersized cornerback with rare twitch and make-up speed. LSU moved him all over the field in its scheme. He played inside, outside and even took some reps at safety. In press coverage, he's patient, but I'd like to see him be more physical with his hands at the line of scrimmage. He usually plays out of a quarter turn (butt toward the sideline). He uses his quickness and speed to mirror wideouts underneath and down the field. He rarely gets caught out of position, but when he does, he has the speed to recover. From off coverage, he has a quick pedal and is a very easy/fluid mover. His instincts and ball skills are good but not great. He's a willing tackler, but he's not ultra-aggressive in run support. Overall, Jackson doesn't make a ton of plays, but I believe his best football is ahead of him. He's a special athlete.

RANK#23

jaire-alexander-180122-200x200.jpg

Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville

Alexander is a tough, instinctive cornerback prospect. He spent the majority of his time on the outside at Louisville, but he did take a few reps at the nickel spot. He's excellent in press coverage. He consistently re-routes his opponent with a quick two-hand jam. He has a little stiffness when he opens up, but he's rarely out of position underneath or down the field. From off coverage, he has a choppy pedal, but he boasts an excellent burst out of his plant and drive. His route recognition, throw anticipation and ball awareness are elite. He collected several pass breakups in every game I studied. He's very willing in run support and provides some big hits. Overall, Alexander lacks ideal fluidity, but I love his instincts, swagger and ball skills.
RANK

daron-payne-180122-200x200.jpg

Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

Payne is a powerful, run-stuffing defensive tackle with pass-rush upside. Against the run, he launches out of his stance and quickly shoots his hands to generate knock-back against single blocks. He will also use a quick slap/swim to disrupt. He holds up well vs. double-teams and has tremendous lateral range. As a pass rusher, he has a quick get-off, but he needs to develop a plan. Most of his pressure is the result of his swim move. He needs to work on counter moves. His effort is excellent. Overall, Payne is built to dominate on run downs right now. He has the athletic ability and power to emerge as a much better pass rusher in the near future.

RANK#25

daniel-james-180122-200x200.jpg

James Daniels, C, Iowa

Daniels is a very athletic and technically proficient center. In the run game, he's extremely quick and effective on reach blocks and second-level blocks. I'm amazed by his ability to stay attached with his hands while he re-works his foot positioning. In pass pro, he plays with outstanding knee bend and balance. He shoots his hands quickly and can anchor against power as well as redirect vs. counters. He's very aware. Daniels is one of the best center prospects I've evaluated in the last five years.

rashaan-evans-180122-200x200.jpg

Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

Evans is a versatile, playmaking linebacker. He moved all over the field in the Alabama defense. He aligned off the ball in the middle of the defense, stood up outside and even occasionally put his hand in the ground as a defensive end in pass-rush situations. Against the run, he's a tick late to key/read, but once he makes up his mind, he closes in a hurry. He runs right through blockers and if he doesn't make the tackle, he creates a pileup to slow down the ball carrier. He has outstanding speed to range sideline to sideline. He will miss an occasional tackle in space because he rarely breaks down, instead looking for the big hit. In coverage, he can easily mirror tight ends and backs. He will even match up in the slot at times. He isn't a polished pass rusher, but he can win with pure speed and effort. Overall, Evans is a tone-setter on defense and his versatility is a huge asset.

billy-price-180122-200x200.jpg

Billy Price, C, Ohio State

Price was a four-year starter for the Buckeyes. He played both guard and center during his career. He was a very dominant run blocker while lining up at center in 2017. He has quick feet and a very powerful base. He latches on and flashes the upper torque to rag-doll opposing defenders. He isn't a great knee-bender, but once he gets his hands on you, he stays attached. He does struggle with balance at the second level. He gets overly aggressive and ends up on the ground too often. In pass protection, he can anchor easily against power rushers and he's very aware vs. twists and stunts. Overall, I love his strength, toughness and position flexibility. He's not an elite athlete, but he's a Day 1 starter at either guard or center.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
From this group Payne would be my selection

Tremaine Edmonds would be mine, although if he has jumped this high I guess I can forget about him being available. Edmonds was hovering around #23 and lower just a few weeks ago when he made my mock.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Jaime Alexander would be my preference, but I'd be happy with DeRon Payne, or James Daniels. I hate to have a First round pick on the bench but with Sullivan's age and durability concerns Daniels could see playing time. He is better than Blythe and the best t center to come out for a while. If the Rams plug holes in free agency, he could be hard to pass up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

Hughes is a fluid, agile cornerback prospect with the versatility to play inside or outside. He has good size and excels in press coverage, where he incorporates a two-hand jam and rarely allows a free release. He has very quick feet. He redirects and mirrors opponents with ease. From off coverage, Hughes has a fluid pedal and shows some pop out of his plant/drive. He's rarely out of phase in coverage, but when he is, he has the speed to recover. His ball awareness is excellent. He isn't a physical tackler, but he goes low and gets the ball carrier on the ground. Hughes did have an off-the-field issue at his previous school (North Carolina). Overall, Hughes is an outstanding cover cornerback and he's ready to start right away at the next level.

Of all the possibilities there at 23 and looking at the guys who have a real chance of being there, I think Hughes might be the ideal pick for the Rams. Granted, I doubt he gets to us, but what with the 40s still not being run it's hard to say exactly where all these CBs are going to slot. But regardless he is going to be a guy who eliminates half the field in the NFL. His impact in our defense would be profound.

As much as I like Payne, which is a great deal, I find myself wondering whether the Rams would be best served to load a top CB or LB early on then grab a run stuffer later. Run stuffers are just easier to come by than top corners or the types of LB upgrades we desperately need to improve this defense.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
hmmmm

Anyone seen that NT from Clemson play?

You mean Dexter Lawrence? He's not eligible for the 2018 draft. His linemates, Clellin Ferrell, Austin Bryant, and Christian Wilkins also stayed in school.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You mean Dexter Lawrence? He's not eligible for the 2018 draft. His linemates, Clellin Ferrell, Austin Bryant, and Christian Wilkins also stayed in school.
That's the guy in bold....
http://walterfootball.com/draft2018NT.php

Christian Wilkins*, NT, Clemson
Height: 6-4. Weight: 310.
Projected 40 Time: 5.00.
Projected Round (2018): 1-2.
1/13/18: Wilkins totaled 60 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss and four sacks in 2017. He played well all year, using his speed and athleticism to cause disruption at the point of attack. In speaking with sources at multiple teams, they see Wilkins as a future first-rounder. He is a fast interior pass-rusher who can collapse the pocket and provide an inside pass rush. Wilkins dominated Miami in the ACC Championship.

9/1/17: Wilkins played well for Clemson in 2016 as part of a tough defensive line that controlled the point of attack. The sophomore recorded 48 tackles with 13 tackles for a loss, 3.5 sacks and 10 passes batted. Wilkins made 33 tackles and two sacks as a freshman in 2015. He has a nice skill set with upside.

Wilkins had to play a lot of defensive end last year because of injury. He displayed a nice ability to play there, but his NFL home is on the inside. As a pass-rusher, Wilkins was able to get after the quarterback with pressure coming around the corner. He looked the most dangerous when lining up over guards and firing past them to cause disruption in the backfield. While he played a lot of end, at his weight, Wilkins really doesn't have edge rusher speed for the NFL. He will have to rush from the inside as a pro, but that is his natural position anyway. Wilkins was a solid run defender, too. He has a strong, thick lower body to hold his ground at the point of attack.

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018NT.php#ixzz55nEm5x5q

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dexter Lawrence is the nose for Clemson. He's a big kid at 6'4", 340 lbs. He was also the number one recruit in the nation his senior year.

And he's going to be a top 5-10 pick in 2019.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Da'Ron Payne, NT, Alabama is there @ #23 he would be my pick over any corner. Linemen over DB's in my small mind. Providing a NT of the talents & skills of Payne between Brockers & Donald would make some serious improvement in our DL. A rookie like Payne should benefit greatly from the 7th season Brockers & the 5th seasons Donald. Snead drafted both of our starting DL'ers in the first round & both have done well. Adding a third first round talent should send mega nightmares through-out the NFL.

Most drafts have us selection CB's from what I have seen.
Bucky Brooks Mock Draft 1.0 has us selecting Jaire Alexander - CB, Louisville & the Vikings taking Payne.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...mock-draft-10-broncos-jags-among-6-to-pick-qb

Snead has been outstanding finding starting DB's on the 2nd & 3rd days of the drafts. JJ, Trumaine, TJ McDonald, Joyner & JJ III were all selected by Snead on the 2nd day all ended up starting as rookies at some point. Even a few last day draft selections started or played heavy quickly i.e. EJ Gaines & Mo Alexander. I say feed Donald a massive thick big mean younger brother to help him out on Sunday afternoons.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Da'Ron Payne, NT, Alabama is there @ #23 he would be my pick over any corner. Linemen over DB's in my small mind. Providing a NT of the talents & skills of Payne between Brockers & Donald would make some serious improvement in our DL. A rookie like Payne should benefit greatly from the 7th season Brockers & the 5th seasons Donald. Snead drafted both of our starting DL'ers in the first round & both have done well. Adding a third first round talent should send mega nightmares through-out the NFL.

Bucky Brooks Mock Draft 1.0 has us selecting Jaire Alexander - CB, Louisville & the Viking taking Payne.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...mock-draft-10-broncos-jags-among-6-to-pick-qb

Snead has been outstanding finding starting DB's on the 2nd & 3rd days of the drafts. JJ, Trumaine, TJ McDonald, Joyner & JJ III were all selected by Snead on the 2nd day all ended up starting as rookies at some point. Even a few last day draft selections started or played heavy quickly i.e. EJ Gaines & Mo Alexander. I say feed Donald a massive thick big mean younger brother to help him out on Sunday afternoons.

I really like Payne too, Boni. Depends on which CB is there at 23 though. If it's Jackson or Hughes I am taking CB period, either of those guys are going to upgrade the F out of our defense by slotting right in at CB1. Same goes for Ward too tbh.

I would guess Alexander vs Payne is probably the decision the Rams will have if there's a NT vs CB decision there, simply due to Alexander missing time with injury this year, and in that equation the dropoff from each guy to the midround counterpart is probably higher with CB.

All that aside if they take NT over CB there at 23 I am good with it. I learned long ago not to get all high on expectations for the Rams to do what I want them to do. I trust this staff and personnel group to get it right, it's just fun to try to evaluate what they're likely to do. I mean even worst case if they address OL there at 23 I will be a little irked but will get over it, as I understand that group needs to have some moves made now to ensure they don't drop off and get in the way of a nice playoff window.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I really like Payne too, Boni. Depends on which CB is there at 23 though. If it's Jackson or Hughes I am taking CB period, either of those guys are going to upgrade the F out of our defense by slotting right in at CB1. Same goes for Ward too tbh.

I would guess Alexander vs Payne is probably the decision the Rams will have if there's a NT vs CB decision there, simply due to Alexander missing time with injury this year, and in that equation the dropoff from each guy to the mid round counterpart is probably higher with CB.

All that aside if they take NT over CB there at 23 I am good with it. I learned long ago not to get all high on expectations for the Rams to do what I want them to do. I trust this staff and personnel group to get it right, it's just fun to try to evaluate what they're likely to do. I mean even worst case if they address OL there at 23 I will be a little irked but will get over it, as I understand that group needs to have some moves made now to ensure they don't drop off and get in the way of a nice playoff window.
Understood!

We will learn something here shortly....February 20th when the Rams will have their first day to designate Franchise or Transition Players. I have one player in mind here...Our CB/Safety Lamarcus Joyner. With such a vast amount of UFA's along with RFA's & ERFA's that the Rams have ...getting everything done is going to be very hard for Demoff . Rams can bye some time with doing LJ as they did twice with Trumaine Johnson....as non exclusive" franchise tagged player. Somewhere in the area of 10 million cost to do. Much less than what they paid Tru last season. Now they have their veteran leader their secondary

Having LJ solidly here in 2018 provides great comfort. He has been our main Nickle since he was drafted in 2014. They then can work on his long term contract later. Wade needs a leader in this secondary & LJ has been born to do this! Wade has five returning corners under contract for 2018. Dominique Hatfield, Marcus Sayles, Kevin Peterson, Taurean Nixon & Kayvon Webster (medical red flag). Demoff is sure to get ERFA late season starting outside CB Troy Hill under contract-easy done! That would make six.

Rams are sure to try to get veteran Nickle/Outside Corner reserve NR-C back in here under contract but that remains an unknown. There are 3 UFA CB's that I would look into : Redskins Bashaud Breeland, Eagles Patrick Robinson & NE/Pats Malcolm Butler. I really like what I saw from Patrick Robinson this last season. If you could sign one of those 3 veterans & draft you a few corners with five of the draft selections on the 3rd day you should be set.

Rams should have no real issues getting UFA deep safety 28 yr old Cody Davis signed back again. He is a veteran now entering his 6th season. Cody fits like a glove in the Wade defense. He has 65 NFL gms of experience. Wade started him 2 times in 2017 & he also finished 2 other gms as his starting safety. The rest of the safeties are young too with last yrs starting rookie JJ III, Blake Countess, Marqui Christian & Isaiah Johnson all under contract.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft
Jan. 26, 2018

I skipped down to the area where the Rams will be selecting.

RANK#16

Mike-Hughes-180123-200x200.jpg

Mike Hughes, CB, UCF

RANK#20

jackson-donte-180122-200x200.jpg

Donte Jackson, CB, LSU

Jackson is an undersized cornerback with rare twitch and make-up speed. LSU moved him all over the field in its scheme. He played inside, outside and even took some reps at safety. In press coverage, he's patient, but I'd like to see him be more physical with his hands at the line of scrimmage. He usually plays out of a quarter turn (butt toward the sideline). He uses his quickness and speed to mirror wideouts underneath and down the field. He rarely gets caught out of position, but when he does, he has the speed to recover. From off coverage, he has a quick pedal and is a very easy/fluid mover. His instincts and ball skills are good but not great. He's a willing tackler, but he's not ultra-aggressive in run support. Overall, Jackson doesn't make a ton of plays, but I believe his best football is ahead of him. He's a special athlete.

RANK#23

jaire-alexander-180122-200x200.jpg

Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville

Alexander is a tough, instinctive cornerback prospect. He spent the majority of his time on the outside at Louisville, but he did take a few reps at the nickel spot. He's excellent in press coverage. He consistently re-routes his opponent with a quick two-hand jam. He has a little stiffness when he opens up, but he's rarely out of position underneath or down the field. From off coverage, he has a choppy pedal, but he boasts an excellent burst out of his plant and drive. His route recognition, throw anticipation and ball awareness are elite. He collected several pass breakups in every game I studied. He's very willing in run support and provides some big hits. Overall, Alexander lacks ideal fluidity, but I love his instincts, swagger and ball skills.
RANK

daron-payne-180122-200x200.jpg

Da'Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

Payne is a powerful, run-stuffing defensive tackle with pass-rush upside. Against the run, he launches out of his stance and quickly shoots his hands to generate knock-back against single blocks. He will also use a quick slap/swim to disrupt. He holds up well vs. double-teams and has tremendous lateral range. As a pass rusher, he has a quick get-off, but he needs to develop a plan. Most of his pressure is the result of his swim move. He needs to work on counter moves. His effort is excellent. Overall, Payne is built to dominate on run downs right now. He has the athletic ability and power to emerge as a much better pass rusher in the near future.

RANK#25

daniel-james-180122-200x200.jpg

James Daniels, C, Iowa

Daniels is a very athletic and technically proficient center. In the run game, he's extremely quick and effective on reach blocks and second-level blocks. I'm amazed by his ability to stay attached with his hands while he re-works his foot positioning. In pass pro, he plays with outstanding knee bend and balance. He shoots his hands quickly and can anchor against power as well as redirect vs. counters. He's very aware. Daniels is one of the best center prospects I've evaluated in the last five years.

rashaan-evans-180122-200x200.jpg

Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

Evans is a versatile, playmaking linebacker. He moved all over the field in the Alabama defense. He aligned off the ball in the middle of the defense, stood up outside and even occasionally put his hand in the ground as a defensive end in pass-rush situations. Against the run, he's a tick late to key/read, but once he makes up his mind, he closes in a hurry. He runs right through blockers and if he doesn't make the tackle, he creates a pileup to slow down the ball carrier. He has outstanding speed to range sideline to sideline. He will miss an occasional tackle in space because he rarely breaks down, instead looking for the big hit. In coverage, he can easily mirror tight ends and backs. He will even match up in the slot at times. He isn't a polished pass rusher, but he can win with pure speed and effort. Overall, Evans is a tone-setter on defense and his versatility is a huge asset.

billy-price-180122-200x200.jpg

Billy Price, C, Ohio State

Price was a four-year starter for the Buckeyes. He played both guard and center during his career. He was a very dominant run blocker while lining up at center in 2017. He has quick feet and a very powerful base. He latches on and flashes the upper torque to rag-doll opposing defenders. He isn't a great knee-bender, but once he gets his hands on you, he stays attached. He does struggle with balance at the second level. He gets overly aggressive and ends up on the ground too often. In pass protection, he can anchor easily against power rushers and he's very aware vs. twists and stunts. Overall, I love his strength, toughness and position flexibility. He's not an elite athlete, but he's a Day 1 starter at either guard or center.
In considering CB - Donte Jackson - LSU, I have a better choice for you. CB Joshua Jackson - Iowa! I think he's better!;)

I really like the choice of the Center Price from Ohio State!(y)(y)

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Of all the possibilities there at 23 and looking at the guys who have a real chance of being there, I think Hughes might be the ideal pick for the Rams. Granted, I doubt he gets to us, but what with the 40s still not being run it's hard to say exactly where all these CBs are going to slot. But regardless he is going to be a guy who eliminates half the field in the NFL. His impact in our defense would be profound.

As much as I like Payne, which is a great deal, I find myself wondering whether the Rams would be best served to load a top CB or LB early on then grab a run stuffer later. Run stuffers are just easier to come by than top corners or the types of LB upgrades we desperately need to improve this defense.

If Hughes is there (doubtful) it should be a slam dunk. Not re-signing TJohnson means don't have a single proven, legit starting CB to play on the outside. Even if NRC is re-signed, he is really not suited as well to play outside. Too small.

I know that Snead has picked up some solid DBs after the 1rst round, but going into the 3rd round with this big of a need is risky. The Rams are no longer a bad team looking to upgrade a losing roster. They are contenders looking for a couple missing pieces while trying to maintain what they already have. A stud, instant starter CB like Hughes (or whomever they see who fits that description) is exactly what the Rams will need if TJohnson walks.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Bucky Brooks Mock Draft 1.0 has us selecting Jaire Alexander - CB, Louisville & the Vikings taking Payne.

I am totally on board with this. Get some beef up front to slow down the run and help with the pass rush ... that alone will make our CB's better even if we just stand pat.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
.February 20th when the Rams will have their first day to designate Franchise or Transition Players. I have one player in mind here...Our CB/Safety Lamarcus Joyner.
I guess they don't like LJ as much as you Boni!!!!.....

If they tag a guy like this....it'd be career suicide by Sneed....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess they don't like LJ as much as you Boni!!!!.....

If they tag a guy like this....it'd be career suicide by Sneed....

Personally, I'd rather not tag LMJ. Let's get him signed to a long-term deal.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Personally, I'd rather not tag LMJ. Let's get him signed to a long-term deal.
I with you here I would prefer a long term contract signed myself but if it does not get done then tag him.