Daniel Jeremiah's mock draft version 5.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Agamemnon

Rookie
[nfl]0ap2000000159085[/nfl]

Daniel Jeremiah's mock draft version 5.0
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap2000000159085/Daniel-Jeremiah-s-mock-draft-version-5-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap ... ersion-5-0</a>
Published: April 12, 2013 at 01:04 p.m.
04:39 – Daniel Jeremiah reveals his latest mock draft and takes a closer look at some risers and fallers.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Vaccaro & Patterson is the nightmare 1st round for me. 2 guys with great bust potential. Both are overhyped and will encounter many issues transitioning to the next level. 1st rounders are supposed to be game changers who make an impact early. I don't see that in either guy.

My 1st:

16. (LG) Warmack
22. (WR) Nuke Hopkins or (FS) Cyprein

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
rams24/7 said:
Vaccaro & Patterson is the nightmare 1st round for me. 2 guys with great bust potential. Both are overhyped and will encounter many issues transitioning to the next level. 1st rounders are supposed to be game changers who make an impact early. I don't see that in either guy.

My 1st:

16. (LG) Warmack

See I completely disagree. Id jump for joy if we got those two(Vaccaro and Patterson)

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
libertadrocks said:
rams24/7 said:

My 1st:

16. (LG) Warmack

See I completely disagree. Id jump for joy if we got those two(Vaccaro and Patterson)

To me Vaccaro is one of the mos overhyped players in the draft. Every "analyst" has him as their #1 safety and all they say to justify his spot is "he's a gifted athlete" or "he can cover the slot" or some BS like that. I'm not trying to say he's a terrible safety, but to me he's maybe my 4th to 6th best FS and should go no higher than mid 2nd.

-If you watch the tape on this kid he is so aggressive as a run defender that he often bites terribly on PA passes. I've seen this a number of times on tape where Texas gave up big gains & even TDs because of Vaccaro biting
-Not great in deep coverage. Just ok. (We need a FS who can cover deep, so that's an issue)
-Has the ability to make big hits, but to me comes across looking like a DB. Not terribly big, and not incredibly strong. People talk about his ability to cover the slot. We don't need that! We have Finnegan!

I like Cyprein, Rambo, Tony Jefferson, Swearinger before Vaccaro.

Pattterson is boom or bust. No thanks. Take a polished guy like Hopkins who is dynamic in his own way, and can contribute from day 1

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
rams24/7 said:
libertadrocks said:
rams24/7 said:

My 1st:

16. (LG) Warmack

To me Vaccaro is one of the mos overhyped players in the draft. Every "analyst" has him as their #1 safety and all they say to justify his spot is "he's a gifted athlete" or "he can cover the slot" or some BS like that. I'm not trying to say he's a terrible safety, but to me he's maybe my 4th to 6th best FS and should go no higher than mid 2nd.

-If you watch the tape on this kid he is so aggressive as a run defender that he often bites terribly on PA passes. I've seen this a number of times on tape where Texas gave up big gains & even TDs because of Vaccaro biting
-Not great in deep coverage. Just ok. (We need a FS who can cover deep, so that's an issue)
-Has the ability to make big hits, but to me comes across looking like a DB. Not terribly big, and not incredibly strong. People talk about his ability to cover the slot. We don't need that! We have Finnegan!

Pattterson is boom or bust. No thanks. Take a polished guy like Hopkins who is dynamic in his own way, and can contribute from day 1

Boy am I with you on Vaccaro. I just don't like him as the #1 Safety and don't want the Rams to draft him. And I don't think the Rams pass on Jarvis Jones if he is still there at 16.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
rams24/7 said:

My 1st:

16. (LG) Warmack

I agree 100% any draft with Vaccaro being selected as a Ram first round pick is considered by me as a wasted draft pick. Vaccaro holds no value to me for this Ram team.

I could live with the OLG Warmack & safety Jon Cyprien just fine.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I dont understand why Vaccaro seams to get such a bad rap on this board.

This is a safety that held his own in man coverage against Tavon Austin. He's also very good in run support and capable of making big hits. He explodes through the ball carrier. We are in a run first division.

I think most would agree Greg Cosell is a boss at player evals. Here is what he had to say about him:

Not only did he display the ability to play man-to-man versus wide receivers, he also was utilized as a deep safety, both in single high coverage and 2 deep shells," Cosell wrote about Vaccaro. "In those situations, he was both fluid and active in coverage, and aggressive playing downhill in the run game. He always pressed to the ball, and demonstrated sideline-to-sideline range with outstanding play speed and a reckless attitude. He showed explosion as a tackler with natural pop. Overall, I saw Vaccaro as a multi-dimensional safety with an expansive skill set and no physical shortcomings that would limit defensive coordinators."

He will get lost in space from time to time, but that's the only real flaw I see in his game. Assuming his character checks out. I think he compares favorably to Eric Weddle.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
libertadrocks said:

This is a safety that held his own in man coverage against Tavon Austin. He's also very good in run support and capable of making big hits. He explodes through the ball carrier. We are in a run first division.

I think most would agree Greg Cosell is a boss at player evals. Here is what he had to say about him:

Not only did he display the ability to play man-to-man versus wide receivers, he also was utilized as a deep safety, both in single high coverage and 2 deep shells," Cosell wrote about Vaccaro. "In those situations, he was both fluid and active in coverage, and aggressive playing downhill in the run game. He always pressed to the ball, and demonstrated sideline-to-sideline range with outstanding play speed and a reckless attitude. He showed explosion as a tackler with natural pop. Overall, I saw Vaccaro as a multi-dimensional safety with an expansive skill set and no physical shortcomings that would limit defensive coordinators."

He will get lost in space from time to time, but that's the only real flaw I see in his game. Assuming his character checks out. I think he compares favorably to Eric Weddle.

I'm with you on Vacarro, libertadrocks. He's a hell of a player.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Kenny Vacarro what do I think about him? Well, Rams have had a great history with DB's from colleges in Texas...Dave Elemendorf (Texas A&M) Johnnie Johnson & Jerry Gray from Texas, so draft the guy, it's that simple. :ww:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
rams24/7 said:
libertadrocks said:
rams24/7 said:

My 1st:

16. (LG) Warmack

I agree 100% with Warmack (or Cooper) at 16 and Hopkins at 22. Both start on day 1 at key positions (LG and WR1). Absolutely no bust potential or smurf issues to worry about.

Vaccaro by definition is overrated given that he is from Texas. All we need to do to screw up the draft is to start getting players from Texas or UCLA....

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
OnceARam said:
I agree 100% with Warmack (or Cooper) at 16 and Hopkins at 22. Both start on day 1 at key positions (LG and WR1). Absolutely no bust potential or smurf issues to worry about.

Vaccaro by definition is overrated given that he is from Texas. All we need to do to screw up the draft is to start getting players from Texas or UCLA....

Yeah... Because the last highly touted Texas safety ended up being such a bust. Thank God the Seahawks wasted a pick on Earl Thomas :roll:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
libertadrocks said:

I agree with the Weddle comparison. Like Weddle, Vaccaro's not going to do anything great, but the fact that he can do everything makes him a great safety.

With that said, Matt Elam is my top safety. I swear, the guy is a Bob Sanders clone. Very physical for his size, was pretty much the heart and soul of the Gators defense, and he just forces a ridiculous amount of turnovers, which is something that I think we need. The kid plays like he's 6'3", 220 lbs., but he has incredible speed as well. Just a huge fan. If we took him at #22, I'd be ecstatic.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Memento said:
libertadrocks said:

I agree with the Weddle comparison. Like Weddle, Vaccaro's not going to do anything great, but the fact that he can do everything makes him a great safety.

With that said, Matt Elam is my top safety. I swear, the guy is a Bob Sanders clone. Very physical for his size, was pretty much the heart and soul of the Gators defense, and he just forces a ridiculous amount of turnovers, which is something that I think we need. The kid plays like he's 6'3", 220 lbs., but he has incredible speed as well. Just a huge fan. If we took him at #22, I'd be ecstatic.
I have Elam #1 and Cyprien #2. I have them close though. I'd love to have either one of them. I'd still settle for Thomas, Reid (who had a really bad year), or Rambo.

Speeps

Starter
I hate the Patterson pick, but hate the Vaccaro pick even more. I've watched a ton of tape on Vaccaro and I'm very confused as to why people like him so much. He doesn't even look like a first round talent. And Patterson just doesn't have the body of work I would like for a WR.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Speeps said:
I hate the Patterson pick, but hate the Vaccaro pick even more. I've watched a ton of tape on Vaccaro and I'm very confused as to why people like him so much. He doesn't even look like a first round talent. And Patterson just doesn't have the body of work I would like for a WR.

Im curious as to where you have found tape on the safeties. I would like to try and evaluate them in more depth, but find it hard when Im not watching the wide angle (11 on 11). The safeties often disappear from the TV shot.

I just base my opinions on what experts say and watching how they move when they're shown on the TV shot.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
Speeps said:

Im curious as to where you have found tape on the safeties. I would like to try and evaluate them in more depth, but find it hard when Im not watching the wide angle (11 on 11). The safeties often disappear from the TV shot.

I just base my opinions on what experts say and watching how they move when they're shown on the TV shot.
I have a hard time putting my own evaluation on him, because of the lack of tape I've found on him. I always see him at the LOS. I downgraded him a little at the combine, some because of his measurables, but most just because I didn't like the way he covered ground, and his lack of fluidity. I've heard/read scouting reports to the contrary however, and there has to be a reason that he is the favorite safety of a lot of guys that I respect. I just didn't see it myself.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Memento said:
libertadrocks said:

Hopefully a more durable clone

nighttrain

Legend
rams24/7 said:

My 1st:

16. (LG) Warmack
If no Austin, i'd rather have Hopkins & Cy
train