Current Depth Chart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
There was a piece on Austin Blythe a couple days ago about how he was able to come in for Sully and make a seamless transition. Mostly due to his getting snaps with the ones on Wednesdays because Sullivan and Whitworth are held out to give them extra rest.

Got me to wondering who was taking snaps for Whitworth. So I go to Rams homepage and they have Cornielius Lucas as Whit's backup. Wasn't he cut? If so Who's taking Whit's snaps with the ones on Wed? Darrell Williams or Andrew Donnal or both?

Have to say that's a brilliant piece of coaching because you know someone is going to go down. Blythe came in and the OL never missed a beat. Blythe was the C in that 10 minute TD drive at the end of the game.

Other questionables on the depth chart, Austin listed as #1 WR.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
@BonifayRam said it was Williams in another thread, and that DW got some snaps v AZ

DW only got snaps vs AZ when the starters came out tho. Not a huge sample size.

DW wont be our start LT going forward in the future, he might be a decent backup but i think that's all he is. I still think Donnal would be the better backup in the future if he can stay healthy. DW lacks the size and strength that's important in our scheme.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
DW only got snaps vs AZ when the starters came out tho. Not a huge sample size.DW wont be our start LT going forward in the future, he might be a decent backup but i think that's all he is. I still think Donnal would be the better backup in the future if he can stay healthy. DW lacks the size and strength that's important in our scheme.

True we have not seen much of DW in regular games overall. However there is enough of a sample size to cause Kromer to cease onto DW after he arrived this season. Unlike the Rams previous OL coach, Kromer went early in working DW mainly @ left OT. DW when placed in the RT post was a solid "Fail Mode" prospect. DW did get a chance to see some regular mid season action @ RT in his rookie 2015. DW had a total of 24 rookie regular season snaps but was badly injured with a dislocated wrist that required surgical repair. DW had not recovered fully from that 2015 injury early in 2016 & in pre season games he was awful :poop: @ right OT. DW ended back on the IR for entire 2016 season.

Kromer was smart to see that this OL'er is a pure left side player. The 6-5 305 pounder has looked good in 2017 pre season. DW saw a ton of LT action. DW secured the LT reserve position early in TC & pre season this year. DW is a ACC conference player from the SFL Bulls.

DW will enter Free Agency in March 2018. Lucky for the Rams he will be a RFA which would mean that if the Rams want him back they can resign him @ a econo $$ priced contract for next season. This is very important! IMO DW is more than a decent back up to Andrew Whitworth.

It obvious to most all here that for a QB like Goff its vital to have a outstanding LT in your lineup. DW will never be "That Guy" but for the moment I sure like what I have seen. The future 2018 draft is sure to land us a future replacement for Whitworth but as we know our last successful drafted LT will take us back two decades. Kromer is Key here on who we catch in the draft but having DW here in 2018 is a good beginning too.

Mentioning Andrew Donnal @ the moment is MIA thus afr in 2017 season. We see him in street clothes but he has not seen any action to date @ anytime for Kromer in pre season or regular season. AD is NOT on the injury list so he is healthy. AD has yet to be active. Kromer has been going with just 2 reserve OL'ers since the season began. So either Blythe or Williams has been our back up reserves @ both OG, both OT & center posts. If John Sullivan is not healthy to start against the Giants thus moving Blythe into starting role where will our back up center come from? Will it be practice squad center Neary or Donnal? I don't think it will be OT Lucas.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
True we have not seen much of DW in regular games overall. However there is enough of a sample size to cause Kromer to cease onto DW after he arrived this season. Unlike the Rams previous OL coach, Kromer went early in working DW mainly @ left OT. DW when placed in the RT post was a solid "Fail Mode" prospect. DW did get a chance to see some regular mid season action @ RT in his rookie 2015. DW had a total of 24 rookie regular season snaps but was badly injured with a dislocated wrist that required surgical repair. DW had not recovered fully from that 2015 injury early in 2016 & in pre season games he was awful :poop: @ right OT. DW ended back on the IR for entire 2016 season.

Kromer was smart to see that this OL'er is a pure left side player. The 6-5 305 pounder has looked good in 2017 pre season. DW saw a ton of LT action. DW secured the LT reserve position early in TC & pre season this year. DW is a ACC conference player from the SFL Bulls.

DW will enter Free Agency in March 2018. Lucky for the Rams he will be a RFA which would mean that if the Rams want him back they can resign him @ a econo $$ priced contract for next season. This is very important! IMO DW is more than a decent back up to Andrew Whitworth.

It obvious to most all here that for a QB like Goff its vital to have a outstanding LT in your lineup. DW will never be "That Guy" but for the moment I sure like what I have seen. The future 2018 draft is sure to land us a future replacement for Whitworth but as we know our last successful drafted LT will take us back two decades. Kromer is Key here on who we catch in the draft but having DW here in 2018 is a good beginning too.

Mentioning Andrew Donnal @ the moment is MIA thus afr in 2017 season. We see him in street clothes but he has not seen any action to date @ anytime for Kromer in pre season or regular season. AD is NOT on the injury list so he is healthy. AD has yet to be active. Kromer has been going with just 2 reserve OL'ers since the season began. So either Blythe or Williams has been our back up reserves @ both OG, both OT & center posts. If John Sullivan is not healthy to start against the Giants thus moving Blythe into starting role where will our back up center come from? Will it be practice squad center Neary or Donnal? I don't think it will be OT Lucas.

Some other elements that is evident is that since DW is a OT that Blythe is Kromer's preferred back up not only to the OC post but both OG posts. What that means to to 2016 #6th OL'er Andrew Donnal @ the moment is Blythe must be a better OG than Donnal @ the moment.

I would not make to much negative out of this against Donnal who is a smart technical OL'er who should fit well here with Kromer's current OL blocking scheme. Donnal is still signed in here for the 2017/2018 seasons & has a solid role still to play yet.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Depth Chart on the website is much better than it has been in the past,they actually update when players are released now, but in some aspects, it's not 100% accurate. @BonifayRam is right on point that Darrell Williams would be the backup to Whitworth as Lucas has never been active on game day and was not with the Rams during preseason. Rams seem to keep only 7 active Offensive Linemen on game day and that has been so far, the starting 5 with Blythe & Williams as reserve. Williams on the depth chart is listed as the number 2 RT, but has played both tackle positions.

They signed Cornelius Lucas as a developmental player that can learn under Whitworth, Lucas has great size for the position at 6-9 330lbs so I am sure that is part of OL Coach Aaron Kromer's plan and it has been shocking that Andrew Donnal (who can play all the positions except Center) has not been active, would like to understand what injury he had that kept him out of camp and preseason, but again I've been a tad verbose, but Williams would be the first tackle of the bench.