Crusader Kings II

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Anyone play this? I'm a bit of a strategy nerd and this is one of the titles I hadn't played before, but enjoying it right now and it's free on Steam. Decided to try it out due to it being free plus CKIII is coming out later this year and it looks really good.

Gotta say it's rather addicting even though I'm getting my ass kicked once I get too many counties and duchies under me. Just got assassinated in my most recent play-through by my wife for philandering and now I'm playing my youngest almost from the beginning again. Holy shit this game is kind of nuts. :biggrin:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One of those things I had but never really put time into it.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I played Paradox's other game, Europa Universalis IV. After putting 50 hours into that game, I'm still learning the ropes of how to play; I imagine it's the same for CKII.

Gonna give CKIII a try once it's out. I like these grand strategy games in a sense that there are multiple avenues of building an empire and that there are still consequences to managing a strong one.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I love EU IV but have played it so much I'm burned out on it. It's a fine game though, as is Stellaris (which to me is their best game). Paradox just fuckin rock tbh.

What's strange about CK series is you play as the dynasty. So not the country or the kingdom but the actual lineage of whoever you start as. Had a game where I got my ass kicked by a combination of viking raiders and british fucktard rulers but my youngest daughter produced an heir to France. So now I'll be eating croissants and drinking overly-strong coffee I suppose. :biggrin:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One of those things I had but never really put time into it.

You are better off not trying it. These things can be addicting if you are a very competitive person. I avoided video games until I was about 30. Then some physical issues caused me to be very limited for a few years. I took a friend's advice and started to play an online game with him. It was great entertainment, and once I started I was hooked. I played Wheel of Time for two years every night from 7:00-10:00. It was the most exciting and fastest times I've ever experienced just sitting at a desk. It was crazy entertainment. TV was so incredibly boring after I discovered that game. I even passed on football and baseball games to play that game.

I played one other game online called Dark Age of Camelot. It had so much content that I played for 3 years. It was a real adjustment to go back to deal life once I quit. After that I decided I wouldn't play anymore on line. I've gotten into a few games but I don't play on line anymore. It sucks you in and eats up your life.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are better off not trying it. These things can be addicting if you are a very competitive person. I avoided video games until I was about 30. Then some physical issues caused me to be very limited for a few years. I took a friend's advice and started to play an online game with him. It was great entertainment, and once I started I was hooked. I played Wheel of Time for two years every night from 7:00-10:00. It was the most exciting and fastest times I've ever experienced just sitting at a desk. It was crazy entertainment. TV was so incredibly boring after I discovered that game. I even passed on football and baseball games to play that game.

I played one other game online called Dark Age of Camelot. It had so much content that I played for 3 years. It was a real adjustment to go back to deal life once I quit. After that I decided I wouldn't play anymore on line. I've gotten into a few games but I don't play on line anymore. It sucks you in and eats up your life.
Now Stellaris that's a game I put time into.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Now Stellaris that's a game I put time into.

LOL I thought you meant that you don’t play any.

I play a game on my phone called Galaxy Attack : Alien Shooter.
I started on it heavy when I was sick for a month in Feb. Fortunately with phone apps they don’t draw you in long term like PC and console games can.

I still play but only a few minutes a day. Phone app games get overrun by hackers.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL I thought you meant that you don’t play any.

I play a game on my phone called Galaxy Attack : Alien Shooter.
I started on it heavy when I was sick for a month in Feb. Fortunately with phone apps they don’t draw you in long term like PC and console games can.

I still play but only a few minutes a day. Phone app games get overrun by hackers.
Nah I play games when I can. I've been known to lose a staycation day to a Civilization game or two :)

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Nah I play games when I can. I've been known to lose a staycation day to a Civilization game or two :)

Me at 10pm: I'm just gonna play a few more turns and see how this wonder turns out

Me at 4am: Oh shit, I just made my new settlement

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Me at 10pm: I'm just gonna play a few more turns and see how this wonder turns out

Me at 4am: Oh shit, I just made my new settlement
I’ve done this a time or a hundred :D

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I played DAoC too, for a few years. The keep defenses were my favorite just something terrifying about an enemy group trying to beat the door down while you defend from the battlements. PvP was unbalanced but still fun and they had some PvE too.

I just love video games tbh. Think because I'm that kid who played pong for hours and got so good at asteroids I could play one quarter all day. Guess I really appreciate the games, probably the best way to put it. :)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I played DAoC too, for a few years. The keep defenses were my favorite just something terrifying about an enemy group trying to beat the door down while you defend from the battlements. PvP was unbalanced but still fun and they had some PvE too.

I just love video games tbh. Think because I'm that kid who played pong for hours and got so good at asteroids I could play one quarter all day. Guess I really appreciate the games, probably the best way to put it. :)

Which server?

I was a friar on Pellinor, named Stosh. I had a few other characters but he was my main.

Keep defense and tower defense was very fun.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Which server?

I was a friar on Pellinor, named Stosh. I had a few other characters but he was my main.

Keep defense and tower defense was very fun.
I played on several servers, my main was the ranger on the hibby side but also played a few midgard and alb toons and got some of them to max level but didn't really get serious with them. Wasn't enough time for that lol. Pellinor was the alb-heavy server wasn't it? Hard to remember but if so I probably had some alb toons there.

Honestly my best memories of the game were the single keep instance. Levelled most of my toons there solely doing pvp it was great. You zone in and get to find out whether your faction has the keep or whether you'll be siege mode (enough people) or killing ones and twos around the edges.

You know that's the only game I really enjoyed pvp in. Usually I'm more a pve player, at least I am in WoW.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I played on several servers, my main was the ranger on the hibby side but also played a few midgard and alb toons and got some of them to max level but didn't really get serious with them. Wasn't enough time for that lol. Pellinor was the alb-heavy server wasn't it? Hard to remember but if so I probably had some alb toons there.

Honestly my best memories of the game were the single keep instance. Levelled most of my toons there solely doing pvp it was great. You zone in and get to find out whether your faction has the keep or whether you'll be siege mode (enough people) or killing ones and twos around the edges.

You know that's the only game I really enjoyed pvp in. Usually I'm more a pve player, at least I am in WoW.

I've mostly favored PvsE too.

I remember running to the gate solo with my Friar and standing there. Assassins would mistake me for a wizard and attack me. Those little purifiers dropped fast. I could swing for 400 a pop and when I hit reflex attack it automatically hit back along with my normal hits. One time I had three people attack me and I took them all out. Stosh ha speedtoo. I'd run all the way to the mustard gate and ambush solos and duos.

I had a thrusting Saracen infiltrator too. naked Mhat Mcoat. I never could get the hang of that character in PvsP. We had some amazing infiltrators that always were at the top in Pvs P points.

My best PvsE character was a sorcerer. I'd get the highest level let I could find and hunt scrolls. He died to quick to assassins in Pvs P though.

that game is still going on. I have build mates that still played going on the years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude infiltrators were so overpowered lol. Died to dragonfang a lot. :D

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
You picked up CKIII yet @Merlin? This game is definitely eating up a lot of my time. I'm impressed with Paradox mixing their grand strategy flair with tidbits of RPG.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You picked up CKIII yet @Merlin? This game is definitely eating up a lot of my time. I'm impressed with Paradox mixing their grand strategy flair with tidbits of RPG.
Hell yes. Ran a really long Scotland campaign and took all of the British Isles before my dude died without having inheritance set up right (I was going to kill off some extra kids to allow the genius to inherit). That of course splintered the empire badly and I said fuck it.

Also been playing WoW in prep for the SL expac. So those two games in between projects on the property. But yeah, CKIII is fucking great isn't it. :biggrin: (y)

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Hell yes. Ran a really long Scotland campaign and took all of the British Isles before my dude died without having inheritance set up right (I was going to kill off some extra kids to allow the genius to inherit). That of course splintered the empire badly and I said fuck it.

lmao had the same issues with my Finland run. I didn't set up my succession laws correctly after establishing a kingdom and ended up having my uncle takeover the crown and regressed as a mere vassal.

30+ hours in that run and that's what it took for me to understand the importance of succession laws; I fucking love and hate this game.