Couple of thoughts here on Rams O and D...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
First, we need to remember that these players are more rusty than in normal years due to Covid restrictions. Really affects sharpness for runners, blockers, and tacklers. Should improve rapidly, of course. Obviously, all teams are similarly affected, so there’s no real advantage or disadvantage. Just saying that we need to be a bit more patient than in ‘normal’ years.

Second, and this is more important, I think, both O and D sides of the ball seem now particularly well built by Snead/McVay to be able to execute a variety of schemes and game plans which enables them to better cope with varying strengths and weaknesses of each team on their week to week schedule. It might almost look like different O’s and D’s game to game. This seems like a deliberate design and I don’t think this can be overstated.

Rams have always been somewhat flexible, but I don’t think ever to the degree they now are.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
First, we need to remember that these players are more rusty than in normal years due to Covid restrictions. Really affects sharpness for runners, blockers, and tacklers. Should improve rapidly, of course. Obviously, all teams are similarly affected, so there’s no real advantage or disadvantage. Just saying that we need to be a bit more patient than in ‘normal’ years.

Second, and this is more important, I think, both O and D sides of the ball seem now particularly well built by Snead/McVay to be able to execute a variety of schemes and game plans which enables them to better cope with varying strengths and weaknesses of each team on their week to week schedule. It might almost look like different O’s and D’s game to game. This seems like a deliberate design and I don’t think this can be overstated.

Rams have always been somewhat flexible, but I don’t think ever to the degree they now are.

Great comment! It's definitely by design, and it starts with the coaches. The additions of Staley and O'Connell are changing and impacting the schemes on defense and offense. Last year both the O and D seemed to be caught flat footed in a lot of games where they couldn't adjust, and kept doing things that weren't working. I think the Rams are determined not to be predictable or one dimensional in both their game planning and in game adjustments this time.

You could see it with McVay's new patience, commitment to the run and ball control on offense against Dallas. But expect the Rams to air it out deep once D's are planning for this short game. Could also see Staley' s effective prevention of easy/long gains in Dallas' runs, leading to prevention of third down conversions, and a general lockdown of Dallas in the second half. Also, even Collinsworth commented that the Rams' D was really hard to read. I expect there will be new variations each week against different offenses and new adjustments in the each half on both O and D.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I just think the Dallas D really thought that McVay would eventually get back to that 11 personnel all the time offense and McVay stayed committed to the run which consistently put the Rams in 3rd and short positions.

If anything, that commitment means that D coordinators can't see us as one dimensional anymore.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Agreed.
The D still have up 5 ypc to Zeke.
Will be interesting to see how that develops.

If we're being realistic we're just not going to be that good against the run this year. With no A'shawn Robinson in the middle and below average ILBs I'm sure our pedestrian run defense will continue. But we definitely need to get more pass rush going as AD is going to get double and triple teamed as usual most games. Wasn't too impressed by Floyd and our outside rush, hope that improves. And most of all we need to get turnovers. Even in '17 and '18 we weren't great against the run, but we got takeaways for our offense. To me that is what's most important for this defense with our current personnel.

Offensively it really just comes down to our interior OL and how well Noteboom can hold up. This week will be a big test with Fletcher Cox lining up over him and Blythe. But outside of that I think this team is pretty well set up to make a run at the playoffs. If the oline can hold up better in pass pro, and we can start throwing the ball down the field again I think it can offset some of our deficiencies on defense.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno how well our rush was because Dak was pretty much contained.

That may have been the plan, a la how we play Russell Wilson.

I like that late, both Floyd and Polite got to him late.

But yeah, I have a feeling that we really were selling out against the run as well as containing Dak's scrambling and it was overall successful.

The tackling will improve across the league so I'm not worried about one of the best RBs getting 5ypc, especially because he didn't break 100 yards against us on the ground and we've seen this team go off on us (as well as us go off on them).

What I'm loving about this team is that they have the coaching flexibility to tailor game plans to teams.

This makes it super hard to scout us because we can look totally different week to week.

That reminds me of the Pats. They can look very different week to week and they make it very different to scout them. Beyond the cheating, I mean. And they have very good half time adjustments which Staley did very well against Dallas.

This game enthused me.

It's amazing to win games like that 54-51 game against the Chiefs, but Championships are won by winning the single possession games and this team has the fortitude to do that.

fearsomefour

Legend
If we're being realistic we're just not going to be that good against the run this year. With no A'shawn Robinson in the middle and below average ILBs I'm sure our pedestrian run defense will continue. But we definitely need to get more pass rush going as AD is going to get double and triple teamed as usual most games. Wasn't too impressed by Floyd and our outside rush, hope that improves. And most of all we need to get turnovers. Even in '17 and '18 we weren't great against the run, but we got takeaways for our offense. To me that is what's most important for this defense with our current personnel.

Offensively it really just comes down to our interior OL and how well Noteboom can hold up. This week will be a big test with Fletcher Cox lining up over him and Blythe. But outside of that I think this team is pretty well set up to make a run at the playoffs. If the oline can hold up better in pass pro, and we can start throwing the ball down the field again I think it can offset some of our deficiencies on defense.
I agree overall.
An effective passrush usually go hand in hand with creating turnovers.
I am hoping the plan was keep Dak in the pocket where he is usually average.
None of outside rushers showed any moves or ability to create pressure.