Couple of interesting tweets from John Clayton

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
@ClaytonESPN
The Cardinals offense averaged over 400 yards a game during the pre-season, best in football.

@ClaytonESPN
Final tally for touchbacks with kickoffs @ the 35 =40% during the 64 pre-season gms. That's a lot.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
StlouisramsX said:
@ClaytonESPN
The Cardinals offense averaged over 400 yards a game during the pre-season, best in football.

@ClaytonESPN
Final tally for touchbacks with kickoffs @ the 35 =40% during the 64 pre-season gms. That's a lot.
I don't understand the reasoning behind moving the kickoffs at all. Unless the purpose was to reduce the value of the kickoff returner. That 40% is going to double in the regular season, as I didn't see many kickoff returns that didn't start 4 yards deep or more. What was permissible in the pursuit of reps and evaluation will not be allowed at the expense of field position in the real games.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ram Quixote said:
StlouisramsX said:
@ClaytonESPN

@ClaytonESPN
I don't understand the reasoning behind moving the kickoffs at all. Unless the purpose was to reduce the value of the kickoff returner. That 40% is going to double in the regular season, as I didn't see many kickoff returns that didn't start 4 yards deep or more. What was permissible in the pursuit of reps and evaluation will not be allowed at the expense of field position in the real games.
They say it's for health reasons. Less collisions, I guess. If that's the case though, then eliminate kickoffs entirely and just spot the ball at the 20. Then there would be no need for "special teams", and rosters could be deeper.

Anonymous

Don't get me started on the kicking game. To have any game decided by a FG is a travesty. Punting, yes. Kicking, no.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
squeaky wheel said:
Don't get me started on the kicking game. To have any game decided by a FG is a travesty. Punting, yes. Kicking, no.
Well, you just KNOW I'm gonna get you started on it.

What if it was largely a FG game all the way up to the 4th quarter? Say, 16-15? And your team was the one who kicked 5 FG's up to that point. If there's :09 remaining, you wouldn't want yet ANOTHER field goal to win the game?

Anonymous

StlouisramsX said:
squeaky wheel said:

What if it was largely a FG game all the way up to the 4th quarter? Say, 16-15? And your team was the one who kicked 5 FG's up to that point. If there's :09 remaining, you wouldn't want yet ANOTHER field goal to win the game?

I don't like how the game is played always with the FG in mind as a fallback at best......as a priority at worst. If the FG was to be allowed....and in a Squeaktatorship it wouldn't.......but assuming it was.....3 points should be awarded for any non record setting FG over 50 yards, 2 points for 49 - 21 yards, 1 point for 20 - 1 yard. (Yes I know the set back for the hold and the uprights back in the endzone....all of which could be changed as well.....yardage ranges given as examples only.) I would encourage record setting in FGs by awarding 4 points for conference setting/tying FG and 5 points for league setting/tying FGs. The graded scoring approach is to lessen the desirability of going for FGs period and to encourage REAL OFFENSE and REAL DEFENSE being played in order to determine the game the vast majority of time. FGs that are attempted either have a large degree of suspense involved for points awarded or no suspense which gets fewer points. The kicking game as I see it now slows the game far too much and yields a far too conservative approach on offense for my taste.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
StlouisramsX said:
Ram Quixote said:
StlouisramsX said:
@ClaytonESPN

@ClaytonESPN
They say it's for health reasons. Less collisions, I guess. If that's the case though, then eliminate kickoffs entirely and just spot the ball at the 20. Then there would be no need for "special teams", and rosters could be deeper.

Heres the best way to sum up the reason for keeping the kickoffs....COMMERCIALS :omg: .

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
JdashSTL said:
StlouisramsX said:
Ram Quixote said:
StlouisramsX said:
@ClaytonESPN

@ClaytonESPN

Heres the best way to sum up the reason for keeping the kickoffs....COMMERCIALS :omg: .
The winner.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
squeaky wheel said:
StlouisramsX said:
squeaky wheel said:

I don't like how the game is played always with the FG in mind as a fallback at best......as a priority at worst. If the FG was to be allowed....and in a Squeaktatorship it wouldn't.......but assuming it was.....3 points should be awarded for any non record setting FG over 50 yards, 2 points for 49 - 21 yards, 1 point for 20 - 1 yard. (Yes I know the set back for the hold and the uprights back in the endzone....all of which could be changed as well.....yardage ranges given as examples only.) I would encourage record setting in FGs by awarding 4 points for conference setting/tying FG and 5 points for league setting/tying FGs. The graded scoring approach is to lessen the desirability of going for FGs period and to encourage REAL OFFENSE and REAL DEFENSE being played in order to determine the game the vast majority of time. FGs that are attempted either have a large degree of suspense involved for points awarded or no suspense which gets fewer points. The kicking game as I see it now slows the game far too much and yields a far too conservative approach on offense for my taste.

You really want to stick it to the man? Start taking away points when the likes of Steve Hauschka misses a 30 yard chip shot (- 3 points) or Josh Brown misses a routine 40 yarder (-2 points). A missed XP might as well negate the TD...it should never happen.