Countdown to Camp: Rams Have a Deep Group at Wide Receiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Countdown to Camp: Rams Have a Deep Group at Wide Receiver
yxqee8vl8lffkokpp7ky.jpg

Myles Simmons
RAMS INSIDER

We’re now just one week away from the Rams’ veteran players reporting to 2018 training camp at UC Irvine. With Brandin Cooks signing a five-year extension on Tuesday, let’s continue our position-by-position breakdown with Los Angeles’ wide receivers in this edition of Countdown to Camp.

WIDE RECEIVERS

Newcomers: Brandin Cooks, Steven Mitchell, Ricky Jeune, LaQuvionte Gonzalez

Ten of Los Angeles’ 11 regular offensive starters from 2017 are returning for the upcoming season. The aforementioned Cooks is the only exception, but the former Saints and Patriots standout has already made a strong enough impression to earn a five-year contract extension from the Rams.

“Brandin Cooks has shown himself to be a class act on and off the field since the first day he joined our team,” head coach Sean McVay said in a statement on Tuesday. “He’s a proven professional in this league and signing him to a long-term contract was always our goal. We’re excited to keep Brandin in a Rams uniform through 2023.”

With Cooks in tow, Los Angeles’ current top three receivers — Cooks, Robert Woods, and Cooper Kupp — are now all under contract through 2020. The club signed Woods to a five-year deal in 2017, and he responded by having the best season of his young career. Woods caught 56 passes for 781 yards with five touchdowns in 12 games.

Selected in the third round back in 2017, Kupp led the club as a rookie with 869 yards receiving. He also caught 62 passes and five touchdowns, working mostly as a slot receiver in McVay’s offense.

Another second-year receiver, Josh Reynolds appears poised to take a significant step forward in 2018. He played sparingly on offense as a rookie, but did make 11 receptions for 104 yards with a touchdown.

While Pharoh Cooper’s main contributions in 2017 came as a returner on special teams, he did make 11 receptions for 84 yards and took a carry six yards. He’ll continue as the club’s punt and kick returner, but said during the offseason program he still sees himself as a potential strong contributor on offense.

Mike Thomas is a fellow member of Los Angeles’ 2016 draft class and has been a special teams mainstay since his rookie year. He caught five passes for 93 yards in 2017.

Rounding out the group, L.A. retained Fred Brown after the wideout spent most of last season on the club’s practice squad. The Rams also signed Steven Mitchell, Ricky Jeune, and LaQuivionte Gonzalez as undrafted free agents in May.

[www.therams.com]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again when I retire in the next several years and begin writing my novels one of my character names will be Ricky Jeune! Great Detective Name.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Solid and well rounded WR group. Now add to that an emerging TE group. I look for them to get more targets, especially Everett and Hemingway, who McVay was especially excited about in last years TC.

McVay will have Goff spreading the ball all over the place. Gurley will get plenty of targets too.

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I remember being excited about our 2013 group of receivers.
Chris Givens, Austin Pettis, Brian Quick, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Jared Cook and Lance Kendricks.

Think about this. The total career yardage for that group is 13,372.

Our top 3 receivers this year, Cooks, Woods and Kupp. They have 8,033 between the 3 of them.

Sean McVay is the fucking man.

Ram65

Legend
What a turnaround in two off seasons. Obviously, Woods, Kupp and Cooks are one of the best if not the best trio WR group in the NFL. Now, the Rams have some solid backups too. Thomas had a good game against the Whinners in the final week of last year. Reynolds should make a nice jump in year two while Cooper has game experience. It is nice to have the depth and feel comfortable should one starter go down for a few games like Woods did last year. Knock on wood they all stay healthy. I guess the TE group is separate from the WRs but, Everett is has lined up outside creating a size mismatch. The TE group should be deep too.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I think one of the greatest assets we have with this current group - Cooks, Woods, and Kupp - is that they are all adept and perfectionists when it comes to route running. Precision.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember being excited about our 2013 group of receivers.
Chris Givens, Austin Pettis, Brian Quick, Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, Jared Cook and Lance Kendricks.

Think about this. The total career yardage for that group is 13,372.

13cqor.jpg

DANGER, LEGATRON4, DANGER!!!!!

JEFF FISHER HC SIGHTING.

DANGER!!!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Again when I retire in the next several years and begin writing my novels one of my character names will be Ricky Jeune! Great Detective Name.

LaQuivionte Gonzalez

:cautious:

Doesn't the prefix La denote feminine or is my brain deceiving me.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Or is it just the note that follows So?

For those missing the reference..........here is the timeless performance from one of the three movies Julie Andrews was in that are certainly in the top whatever of all time.

Mary Poppins. The Sound of Music. My Fair Lady.

She was a Ninja.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For those missing the reference..........here is the timeless performance from one of the three movies Julie Andrews was in that are certainly in the top whatever of all time.

Mary Poppins. The Sound of Music. My Fair Lady.

She was a Ninja.

While Julie Andrews was apparently amazing on Broadway, Audrey Hepburn performed in the movie.

Ironically, this freed her to do Mary Poppins, for which she won the oscar for best actress. Audrey Hepburn was not nominated.

jjab360

Legend
I don't know... I kind of yearn for the days of the Donnie Avery-Keenan Burton-Brandon Gibson super trio :ROFLMAO:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Hoping pharoah continues to improve. I’ve up’d for him over TA. He had a case of the TA mistakes last season at times, but hopefully those were just nerves and will improve drastically.