Could the Raidahs Be a Possible trading Partner?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Hear me out, yes the likelihood of trading UP is low on paper with our lack of draft capital as it is, plus the notion we should be stockpiling with several impending holes coming up.... BUT thanks to their previous rapport and Gruden giving the Rams a thumbs up approval for McVay during hiring process, maybe we can muster a deal that would see us exchange our first and fourth, along with additional capital this year or next, to move up to 24 (maybe one more mid round selection).

Why? To secure a player from the following pool: Simmons (my choice), Murphy, Bush, Lawrence, or Fant.

Why do the Raidahs do it? Well, under Mayock they may be looking to stockpile picks this year and/or next to continue cultivating the roster to their specifics, and move from three spots before their final pick to four after their final pick. Interesting, 27 sits nicely in bw our selection and their second so who they may want for 24 may then instead only have to last 2 picks (25 & 26) before they can grab them. I’m sure they’ll have a short list of guys to target at 24-27 and whoever is left can then be selected instead at 27 and 31.

Anyone else see this as a possible Snead draft-day surprise?!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think trading up this year is a mistake.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One other thing to mention is if you watch all the draft coverage and read all the draft rumors, Simmons starts becoming a serious consideration for teams like the Colts, Eagles and Chiefs (all right after the Raiders #24 pick) who can all stash the kid for a year while he recovers from his acl injury. I couldn’t stomach watching him go just a few picks before us and turning out to be the top 5 cat everyone thinks he’ll become.

Murphy I could see gone by then as well as Fant (who I also look as less of a need), and Lawrence could be there at 31 although you never know with teams in the 20s falling in love with him due to scheme fit.

I say we don’t risk it, stick to our aggressive draft nature and go n get Simmons at 24! Some may call it a reach for trading up to ensure the selection, but I’d be willing to sacrifice a 4th this year (which we can recoup via trade down with our third(s)) and including another mid round this year or next to get him.

What y’all think??

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Simmons - but if he's available to where a tradeup would be practical, it means that most teams believe he won't be a factor in 2019 - so you are drafting him for 4 seasons before free agency, not 5 - but paying him for 5. I suspect that the Rams have other players they want to, and that they can get without giving up additional picks this season and next.

If he falls to 31, it might be different.

If a future star falls to them, I'd expect that to be the Rams pick. I'm hoping a desirable QB falls and the Rams can get competing trade offers for their pick.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I like Simmons - but if he's available to where a tradeup would be practical, it means that most teams believe he won't be a factor in 2019 - so you are drafting him for 4 seasons before free agency, not 5 - but paying him for 5. I suspect that the Rams have other players they want to, and that they can get without giving up additional picks this season and next.

If he falls to 31, it might be different.

If a future star falls to them, I'd expect that to be the Rams pick. I'm hoping a desirable QB falls and the Rams can get competing trade offers for their pick.

All good points and I could absolutely see the Rams trading down esp. if a QB is sitting their for a team’s picking. In fact I truly believe that’s our odds-on favorite course of action, trade DOWN... HOWEVER I think Simmons is a future star and if he happens to fall into the early 20s, I think you’ll start seeing teams value his selection specifically in that range too good to pass up. That’s why you see a lot of playoff teams stay good, the mid 20s to end of round one provide a ton of value with a lot of great players falling! The benefit of selecting him in round one is in fact that extra year on the deal. So your trade-off is losing a mid round selection and a year of play for a completely recovered, Top 5 talent who would do wonders next to AD next year, stolen in the latter part of round one.

Idk about you but I’m drooling over the cost/return analysis on that.Plus you can recoup those additional trade pieces in trade downs!

EDIT: So after doing some google search, here is what the Pats traded when they moved up a few years ago, twice in the first round:

The New England Patriots selected Syracuse defensive end Chandler Jones with the No. 21 pick in the 2012 NFL Draft after trading the No. 27 and No. 93 pick (third round) to the Cincinnati Bengals.

The Patriots traded up for a second time during the first round of the draft for the No. 25 from the Denver Broncos who received the No. 31 and a fourth round pick (126 overall).

So maybe our first, fourth and a seventh this year might get the job done with Gruden and Mayock. SIGN ME UP!

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey Jerry see my above follow-up that came in during your post.

I think very highly of Simmons, but I would not trade up for him. Draft picks are extremely important for us moving forward. We need cheap, young talent. There are a number of talented guys who should be available at #31. Enough that I'd feel comfortable trading down. I don't want to trade up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There are of course some guys the Rams would consider moving up for if they were to be within their range, so the question isn't if they would but rather what are the chances Les' board has a guy who is a clear 15ish talent sitting there mid twenties. I suspect he's pretty good at predicting the groupings so if he does expect someone to be available lower than they should be I also have to think there's a plan for trying to go get him.

Oh and before someone swoops in with Simmons lol he's a grey area because of the injury, really that one comes down to stuff we're not privy to medically.

The other question is what is their move-up range. I'm thinking maybe 5 or so slots at most. Gruden being tight with McVay makes that kind of thing a natural connection so I would believe it's more possible for them to work something up than many of the other front offices/staffs around the league.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think drafting Simmons, knowing he likely won’t play this year,is enough of a risk for the Rams who have already lost Suh (well not officially yet but writing is on wall)
Now on top of it they are going to give up another draft pick to get him? Please no....

But I do think that the Raiders will sell off that 24th pick, likely to a team that wants a late 1st qb. Aka, competition for the Rams trading their pick

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would do the opposite of trade up.

Snead has worked very hard to put this team in the position that it's currently in. His many options are there. He is ready to deal with the consequences of how this draft plays out in front of him with those 30 selections. Keep the picks or even multiply the picks & increase his chances to make this 2019 the best fitting & contributing cadre of rookies yet to be seen in the Snead Rams era.

Last edited:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
While I do love Simmons, we are in win now mode. Its pretty unlikely he will contribute much if anything this year and really doesn't plug a hole that we desperately need to do (at a cheap cost). I wouldn't be very happy about a trade up. A trade back, absolutely. Drop down to the 2nd and pick up a guy like Winovich, would be ideal to me.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To trade down so they can have a fourth pick in the first maybe but I doubt that happens.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I would definitely not trade up for Simmons unless Snead feels he will be a superstar. I like picking him at 31 though. I think Simmons may fall to us anyway.

There is no player I would realistically trade for. No better options at OL, S, RB, QB, TE. We can't get either ILB and there will be no DEs left period.

If somehow Allen fell to 15/16 range I might make a play for him because he solves alot of defensive issues but he won't be there. Any higher than 15/16 is out of reach and 15 is most likely too far. A trade up to the early 20s maybe but for who the 5th or 6th DE, the second CB, maybe Fant none are enticing. We need to hope that 4 QBs and 3 WRs minimum get taken that may push a Bradbury, Lawrence, Simmons, and one of the Gs or Ts back.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I think very highly of Simmons, but I would not trade up for him. Draft picks are extremely important for us moving forward. We need cheap, young talent. There are a number of talented guys who should be available at #31. Enough that I'd feel comfortable trading down. I don't want to trade up.

Fair enough, my brotha! I wouldn't be upset in the slightest if we trade down as I again, expect it to be the case. Every year we all have our draft darling and many times it doesn't pan out where we land them. So although if we don't land Simmons I'll be bummed, I'll more than gladly accept our new acquisitions!