Cosell Talks: The Wide Receiver Transformation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
logo.png

The spotlight in the upcoming NFL draft has been on quarterbacks, notably Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III, with increased attention on Ryan Tannehill and Brock Osweiler. That’s understandable. It’s the most important position in the game.

Here’s the follow-up question, one rarely scrutinized: In a passing league, how do we now evaluate the players on the receiving end of the quarterback’s throws?

The transformation in the NFL game over the past decade has been widely documented. The expansion of three-wide receiver personnel has been the most visible change. I did not chart every snap this past season, but I believe, as I have said before, that a fair estimate would be 55-60 percent of the plays league-wide included three wide receivers. That’s been the clear trend over time.

There’s more when you dig deeper. It’s not just the number of wide receivers, it’s how they are utilized — i.e. Where do they line up in the formation? What kind of routes do they run? In what areas of the field do they predominantly run those routes? This is where the concepts of receiver distribution and location are important. Distribution is the number of receivers on each side of the formation (for example, in a 3-by-1 set, there are three receivers to one side and one receiver to the other). Location specifically defines which positions those pass catchers actually play. You could have three receivers to the three-receiver side; or two wide receivers and a tight end; or a wide receiver, a tight end and a running back.

With the increased emphasis on the passing game, and the resulting multiplicity in receiver distribution and location, it makes sense that the wide receiver position has undergone some dramatic changes, as well. When teams primarily lined up with two wide receivers (third-and-long being the exception), a certain set of attributes were needed, the most critical being the ability to win one-on-one isolation routes on the outside against quality corners. In addition, there was greater weight placed on vertical routes. Whether it was a function of speed or savvy route running, wide receivers at times needed to run past corners.

This was the NFL’s conventional wisdom, which resisted change. Just think: Wes Welker did not get drafted. Marques Colston was a seventh-round pick. Their “value” as NFL players was marginalized because they did not fit the accepted gospel preached over decades. Both have been highly productive while playing almost exclusively in the slot, working between the numbers, a function of multiple-receiver personnel and creative use of distribution and location. Neither could line up on the outside consistently and win one-on-one matchups.

Where would Welker and Colston be drafted in 2012? It’s a great question — one, of course, that is unanswerable. Yet its larger context will significantly impact some of the wide receivers on this year’s board. Let’s be clear: Wide receivers who can line up on the outside and win against man-to-man coverage at the short, intermediate and deeper levels (Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson come to mind), always have more value. That’s inarguable.

What about Alshon Jeffery of South Carolina? He will be a polarizing player for many teams. Given his measurements — 6-foot-3, 216 pounds — he fits the Colston profile. Jeffery’s best attributes are his size and his hands. He has very strong hands with a wide catching radius. He has shown the ability to make contested catches both at the intermediate and deeper levels. Jeffery is a great example of a wide receiver whose 40-yard-dash time is irrelevant. He’s not vertically explosive. At his best, he’s a long strider with some build-up speed. He will not tilt coverage (i.e. force a safety to play over the top) or dictate double teams. The question then becomes: How is he best utilized in the NFL? Can he line up outside and win? Is he ultimately a Colston-type inside receiver who can effectively use his big body to maximum advantage against nickel backs, linebackers and safeties? The answer to that question will determine where he is drafted.

Another receiver who fits this conceptual template is Mohamed Sanu. Sanu is 6-1 1/2 and 211 pounds. He often played out of the slot at Rutgers, so he has meaningful experience in that role. He was outstanding between the numbers, consistently making difficult catches in traffic. Sanu’s 40 time is also not important to the evaluation process. He’s a short-to-intermediate route runner who relies more on working in confined areas where subtle moves and change of direction are at a premium. Sanu is a smoother, naturally quicker athlete than Jeffery. If the consensus is Jeffery cannot align outside and win, then Sanu is a more valuable and functional NFL prospect. At this point, Sanu is a more effective slot receiver.

A big wide receiver who I believe can align on the outside and run the complete route tree is LSU’s Rueben Randle (6-3, 210). The more games I watch, the more I like Randle. He is smooth and athletic, with better acceleration off the ball than either Jeffery or Sanu. In some ways, he reminds me of the New York Giants’ Hakeem Nicks, who was not drafted until the 29th pick in the first round in 2009. Nicks was the fifth wide receiver selected that year (after Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin and Percy Harvin), but he’s clearly been the most productive of the bunch. Where Nicks has been very effective — and I project Randle playing a similar role — is at “x iso”, the single receiver to one side of the formation. When you’re aligned at “x,” you must be able to win versus man coverage.

The larger point is this: With the increased emphasis on multiplicity of formations and personnel utilization, the framework for evaluating wide receivers has been amended — and expanded. We will see in a few weeks how that impacts where players like Randle, Sanu and Jeffery are chosen in the 2012 NFL Draft.

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/09/cose ... formation/

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I like Cosell. He's very good at what he does. He's is also the one who turned me onto Rueben Randle.

After initially reading and watching a bit of Randle, I wasnt too high on him. After Cosell made an assertion a little bit ago that Randle could end up being the best WR out of this years draft, I looked again at him.

He could be pretty good. He has the size and the speed. The only flaw I really see is he isnt really explosive in and out of his breaks. That could potentially be corrected(Coach Torry Holt). This draft is deep at WR and he is one guy thats worthy of a late first round pick.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
I like Cosell. He's very good at what he does. He's is also the one who turned me onto Rueben Randle.

After initially reading and watching a bit of Randle, I wasnt too high on him. After Cosell made an assertion a little bit ago that Randle could end up being the best WR out of this years draft, I looked again at him.

He could be pretty good. He has the size and the speed. The only flaw I really see is he isnt really explosive in and out of his breaks. That could potentially be corrected(Coach Torry Holt). This draft is deep at WR and he is one guy thats worthy of a late first round pick.
I have always liked him, but always viewed him as un-gettable. Seems to me as if he will be a middle to late first round pick, but I never anticipated him falling into the 2nd round.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:

I have always liked him, but always viewed him as un-gettable. Seems to me as if he will be a middle to late first round pick, but I never anticipated him falling into the 2nd round.

There's a lot of WR in that range. Wright, Randle, Hill, Jeffrey etc. It's going to be up to the team's preferences in front of us to see who falls to the top of the 2nd. I could see only Floyd and Blackmon going in the first or 5 going in the first. Its a wildcard. Same with DT. Two deep positions without a real consensus to the value and order.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
OK, riddle me this: If the Rams pick Blackmon/Floyd in the first and say Randle/Sanu/Hill are there in the second, would they pull the trigger again on WR?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ramhusker said:
OK, riddle me this: If the Rams pick Blackmon/Floyd in the first and say Randle/Sanu/Hill are there in the second, would they pull the trigger again on WR?
Seriously doubt it. And I have a strong feeling that they'll trade that #33 overall too. Gonna be a lot of teams eager to have that pick.

X said:
Ramhusker said:
Seriously doubt it. And I have a strong feeling that they'll trade that #33 overall too. Gonna be a lot of teams eager to have that pick.
hey ''dude'' are you serious no matter wether we take a''dt'' or ''wideout'' u think we will trade down with the 2 pick are u serious wow???? don`t we want a ''quality '' left tackle up there?? talk to me! :bg:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
AIRWARNER13 said:
X said:
Ramhusker said:
hey ''dude'' are you serious no matter wether we take a''dt'' or ''wideout'' u think we will trade down with the 2 pick are u serious wow???? don`t we want a ''quality '' left tackle up there?? talk to me! :bg:
Sure I'm serious. Why not? In 2010, the Panthers wanted that #33 overall; but just like the #1 overall, Devaney didn't want to move the pick. This regime, however, appears to be in favor of moving around the board to collect more picks. Unless they have someone they REALLY covet, then I can see them moving down. Which "quality left tackle" do you see at #33 overall that the Rams can't do without?

X said:
AIRWARNER13 said:
X said:
Ramhusker said:
Sure I'm serious. Why not? In 2010, the Panthers wanted that #33 overall; but just like the #1 overall, Devaney didn't want to move the pick. This regime, however, appears to be in favor of moving around the board to collect more picks. Unless they have someone they REALLY covet, then I can see them moving down. Which "quality left tackle" do you see at #33 overall that the Rams can't do without?
i don`t know who`s the man i`m not ''kieper'' lol the big kid from usc could the next ''ryan leaf'' i don`t know i just thought the #2 pick should be used to protect the ''golden child'' wright!!! talk to me!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
confused-full.jpg

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
X said:
Ramhusker said:

I didn't think I wanted the Rams to give up #33, but now I can see it happening. Not even sure I'd be that upset with it! We know that there will be a great player available at #39 (likely a DT). Trading #33 would give them a chance to move a bit farther back (maybe the Dolphins @42 will want a WR, or the Bengals @53 will target a RB?) and still grab a guy like Zebrie Sanders, Bobby Massie or Kelechi Osemele to help add competition to the O-Line.
Plus I'm sure they'd net an extra 4th or 5th rounder...some shit like that. It's all depth, which is all good.

You sir, have just added a little extra bounce to my step. :wootwoot:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
That's fine if he says this. As long as he comes back after the draft to tell which players he thinks will end up booming or busting considering the team/system they fall into.

He cant just say "Blackmon is a success because of the type of system he's in," or "Floyd ended up not doing so well because of the type of system he's in." Anything else is bull, and imo a cop out.

I respect him as well though. I like that he at least takes a firm stance on players and offers substance in his opinion on judging them.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:
That's fine if he says this. As long as he comes back after the draft to tell which players he thinks will end up booming or busting considering the team/system they fall into.

He cant just say "Blackmon is a success because of the type of system he's in," or "Floyd ended up not doing so well because of the type of system he's in." Anything else is bull, and imo a cop out.

I respect him as well though. I like that he at least takes a firm stance on players and offers substance in his opinion on judging them.
And....there it is. An elite player should be elite in almost any system.