Contacts coming due for Luck and Wilson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...nce-on-new-contract-for-andrew-luck-a-mystery

It's not often that you get agreement between front office execs and agents, but upon the issue of Andrew Luck's contract talks everyone I chat with says the same thing: Why the hell aren't the Colts doing whatever they can to sign him now?

Yeah, Indy saves some cash and cap this season by keeping him on his rookie deal, but that could very well come back to bite the Colts big time when they do finally engage in contract talks. Waiting another year will only drive Lucks' price up. No one thinks he is anything other than a player who is going to be the highest paid in this league for a long time. He's only getting better every year and there are precious few knocks on him (turnovers remain too high, but he's also asked to carry a franchise, which he has done all three years in the league). Buy in as low as you can on him and get the process started.

Eventually T.Y. Hilton and at least one of Indy's tight ends is going to be making big money, too. Start dumping some of Luck's massive cash and cap hits into the 2015 and 2016 budgets now. He makes everyone else go. Determine his rate and work around that. He counts just $7 million against the cap now; and the Colts don't have much room. So keep this year's cap figure where it is in the new deal if need be, but start buying Luck in 2015 quarterback money, because 2016 money is going to be steeper and he's going to continue setting records. Get rid of the 2016 fifth-year option (where he counts $16 million in cash and cap) and start buying up his most prime free-agent years now before the market continues to soar as other quarterbacks sign mega-deals between now and next year.

At least take a concerted crack at putting something in front of him. Simply conveying you won't do anything for another year -- as with coach Chuck Pagano -– baffles me. If I'm owner Jim Irsay I am reinvesting in those two dudes yesterday. The deeper Luck goes into this rookie contract without a new deal, the more money he will continue to accrue on the back end. No way around that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...seattle-seahawks-this-could-drag-on-get-testy

The idea that Russell Wilson might not get a new deal with the Seahawks this offseason is nothing new. Heck, I reported back in February that Wilson could very well play out 2015 on his pittance of a rookie contract and this situation might not be resolved until sometime in 2016.

Wilson won't be taking anything perceived to be below value, or a band-aid contract. The sides were coming to the table with some differing philosophies and this was not, and is not, going to be an easy negotiation. At the end of the day this player is supremely confident and willing to gamble on himself and play it out. The Seahawks don't seem likely to budge all that much, either, judging by some recent comments by general manager John Schneider that I can assure you haven't gone unnoticed by Wilson's camp. If anything, all that the past two months since the combine have done is amplify what I was hearing in the weeks following Seattle's heartbreaking Super Bowl loss -- this thing might be ongoing for quite some time.

Let me preface this by saying that these negotiations are in their infancy. There are still four-plus months before a regular-season game is played and plenty of time to talk contract. But reading the tea leaves just a little, and talking to enough informed people, gives one the sense that there are some fundamental tenets on both sides that don't equate now, and frankly that kind of gulf might only be bridged, if it's going to be bridged, by Wilson (due to make just $1.5 million this season) going out and having another stellar season and continuing to build his case as a truly elite franchise quarterback.

One can argue that Wilson's body of work -- two Super Bowl appearances in his first three years, impeccable decision making with the football, a rare ability to elevate his play in the biggest of stages, very strong statistical metrics -- merits franchise QB money right now. Knowing how confident and driven Wilson is tells me he's not changing. And if the Seahawks aren't ready to make that kind of commitment yet -- and they have given no indication through word or deed that they are (which is entirely their right) -- then this thing is lingering for a while. I can understand Seattle not wanting to set a precedent with a fully guaranteed contract -- this CBA gives all teams a hammer in that regard -- and if that becomes a major factor in these talks, all the more reason they don't reach a quick solution. I'm sure they can find a way to chip away at some common ground. I just remain less than convinced that happens before the season begins.

img25152484.jpg

Seattle GM John Schneider will have a hard time getting Russell Wilson below market value. (Getty Images)

Here's what Schneider said this week on a local Seattle radio station regarding the Wilson talks:

"We want to be a consistent championship-caliber football team, one that the community and the Northwest is extremely proud of every year and has high expectations and hopes for," Schneider said. "We have to be able to protect ourselves as we go and make smart decisions in trying to keep this whole thing together as long as we possibly can.

"I think you've seen over the last several years now a philosophy of competition at every position and trying to acquire as many players as you possibly can and to make it fit. We've done this since Day 1."

That's not exactly sending the message that this franchise is ready to make Wilson a $20M-a-year man. It's understandable enough, given that Seattle derives so much of its success from its remarkable defense and its overpowering run game and a roster loaded with some of the very best at their positions. And every organization must set its own price-point for what it believes its quarterback is worth. This just doesn't come close to sounding like a situation where the two evaluations -- from the team and from the player's representation -- are going to line up. At least not this offseason, without one of the sides relenting.

Here's a sampling of things Wilson has posted on social media lately. Maybe they speak to the tenor of the contract talks. Maybe they don't. But I couldn't help but notice them, especially coming at a time when Wilson has gathered about 30 teammates with him in Hawaii for a week of training and bonding before the Seahawks' official offseason program begins.

Here are some recent tweets from the quarterback:

RESPECT is when you hold something or someone in high regard......

— Russell Wilson (@DangeRussWilson) April 14, 2015
Respect means everything.

— Russell Wilson (@DangeRussWilson) April 11, 2015
Potential is only Potential... Success is based on what you do and what you have done.

— Russell Wilson (@DangeRussWilson) April 8, 2015
Wilson also had a smattering of quotes from Tony Montana, lunatic drug kingpin from the epic film Scarface, thrown in for good measure. While there may be no correlation between any of this and his contract status, I can't help but wonder if this situation gets a little testy. Wilson is all class and the Seahawks are a truly class organization. Both can handle this -- though these types of negotiations can get messy, at least privately (it was hardly all roses and champagne, for instance, between Joe Flacco and the Ravens in the year when talks fell apart abruptly, and that quarterback played out his rookie deal without incident -- a season that ended with a Lombardi Trophy; Seattle could do the same).

I don't expect Wilson's contract status to be a cancer or an albatross in any way -- the team is built to keep winning now and will do so -- and Wilson's team-first mentality is evident always and especially now in Hawaii. But I also wouldn't misinterpret that mindset as anything hinting at weakness, or vulnerability or naivety, because proving people wrong is something the undersized passer has been making a habit of his entire life.

img25152485.jpg

Wilson has leverage after leading the Seahawks to repeat NFC titles and one NFL crown. (Getty Images)

The idea that he owes the team some sort of "team-friendly contract," or that he should come at a bargain rate is ridiculous, especially as a quarterback. He has never made any real money from playing football, he has been one of the biggest bargains in the league since he became Seattle's starting quarterback -- he's on a rookie deal that averages $750,000 per year -- and, at 26, has his best seasons in front of him. This isn't a beat-up Peyton Manning, at the end of his career and after myriad back/neck/nerve procedures doing a solid for the Broncos after making about $200 million in his career already. This isn't Andy Dalton just trying to get paid while having yet to play big in a big game. This is a young man who has already made history and seems driven to continue doing so.

The idea that Wilson's teammates would expect him to relent is ludicrous. They've seen Marshawn Lynch, repeatedly, do what he needs to do to get paid. Players understand it's a short career and that teams own them at a bargain rate on their rookie deals. Right now Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor, Doug Baldwin, Jimmy Graham and Bruce Irvin are among the guys at Wilson's camp in Hawaii -- he's clearly a team leader, he has plenty of support in that locker room and it's not like he's in a holdout or abandoning anyone; he's working out harder than ever knowing full well he could be playing for much less than the rest of his team's bevy of stars, and he is fully motivated and dedicated to football.

He doesn't have to sign any deal he's not entirely comfortable with, and if anything his willingness to go out and play for peanuts should be heralded. And if he does play out this season for $1.5 million, he'll do it with a smile on his face -- that's his nature -- and he won't yap about it and it won't be a distraction for him. If anything, it's just more motivation. If he manages to simply stay on the arc he has carved out through three seasons, he's going to get paid handsomely, and if he takes a significant step up in production and Seattle keeps winning then he will be able to make the case he should be paid as much as anyone in football.

There are no official numbers in yet for the 2016 exclusive-rights quarterback franchise tag, and that figure could continue to grow should anyone like Cam Newton, Eli Manning, Andrew Luck or Philip Rivers get a new deal between now and next season, but cap experts tell me it will be at least $21 million. Franchising Wilson twice would cost at least $46 million for just two years of service. If Luck ends up getting $25 million or more a year, and Newton ends up around $22 million, with Eli in that range as well, then the price just keeps going up for everyone. None of that would hurt Wilson's case.

And I can promise you this -- if Seattle doesn't apply the exclusive tag there will be teams willing to part with two first-round picks to try to pry him away with a massive offer sheet. Cleveland had one ready to go for Flacco had his negotiations with the Ravens reached that stage, and there would be suitors for Wilson, too. Plenty. There is no shortage of teams with a void at quarterback, cap room to burn and cash at hand.

There are many complexities to this negotiation, and ultimately, perhaps more empirical evidence will have to presented on the field to bring pen to paper. Maybe later this offseason, Seattle hones in on linebacker Bobby Wagner and makes sure he is locked up long-term, as, alas, there is one franchise tag to use next year, and Wagner's deal is up after 2015 as well. And if Wilson's situation does drag into the fall and then the winter, we'll eventually find out precisely which side is actually making the more significant gamble by allowing it to do so. I'm not convinced it would be Wilson.​

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
S0unds like the shehawks GM is smart enough to know that giving 20 million a year to a game manager isn't going to help them keep winning. But, he's bent over the barrel on this one, and he doesn't really have a choice. PAY the man!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Them paying Wilson is the best thing that will happen to the Rams. It's just like Flacco - he's won you one, played well doing it, and now he's going to get the mega bucks - once that happens, the talent around him will slowly fade away, and you'll be left with just an above average QB.

Thing is, it wasn't Russ that won them the superbowl. He's certainly above average, but worth $20 mil/year?? Lol.

This past post season outlined exactly how I feel about Wilson - 5 turn overs against the Packers, in the NFCCG, at home. Then they put the ball in your hands to win a superbowl, and you throw an INT. That whole evolution was hilarious - if all things were equal, but it was Peyton and not Wilson that threw that INT, we'd be hearing about how he choked again. Whereas Wilson got no blame for it. Crazy. The only really great games Wilson has played against us resulted in a Rams win, and a 7 point loss (2nd game against us in his rookie year).

I am not afraid of Russell Wilson.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thing is, it wasn't Russ that won them the superbowl. He's certainly above average, but worth $20 mil/year??

If you find an above average QB, you have to pay him and keep him.

Some teams spend many years and various forms of investment (draft picks and FA dollars) trying to find above average. See Cleveland, NY Jets, Cardinals... Etc. The list is many (Rams are teetering on being in that group).

I'm not sure where I sit with Wilson, but keeping him is a lot easier than finding his replacement.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...nce-on-new-contract-for-andrew-luck-a-mystery

It's not often that you get agreement between front office execs and agents, but upon the issue of Andrew Luck's contract talks everyone I chat with says the same thing: Why the hell aren't the Colts doing whatever they can to sign him now?

Yeah, Indy saves some cash and cap this season by keeping him on his rookie deal, but that could very well come back to bite the Colts big time when they do finally engage in contract talks. Waiting another year will only drive Lucks' price up. No one thinks he is anything other than a player who is going to be the highest paid in this league for a long time. He's only getting better every year and there are precious few knocks on him (turnovers remain too high, but he's also asked to carry a franchise, which he has done all three years in the league). Buy in as low as you can on him and get the process started.

Eventually T.Y. Hilton and at least one of Indy's tight ends is going to be making big money, too. Start dumping some of Luck's massive cash and cap hits into the 2015 and 2016 budgets now. He makes everyone else go. Determine his rate and work around that. He counts just $7 million against the cap now; and the Colts don't have much room. So keep this year's cap figure where it is in the new deal if need be, but start buying Luck in 2015 quarterback money, because 2016 money is going to be steeper and he's going to continue setting records. Get rid of the 2016 fifth-year option (where he counts $16 million in cash and cap) and start buying up his most prime free-agent years now before the market continues to soar as other quarterbacks sign mega-deals between now and next year.

At least take a concerted crack at putting something in front of him. Simply conveying you won't do anything for another year -- as with coach Chuck Pagano -– baffles me. If I'm owner Jim Irsay I am reinvesting in those two dudes yesterday. The deeper Luck goes into this rookie contract without a new deal, the more money he will continue to accrue on the back end. No way around that.

I'll say this about Luck.......or at least if I was Luck what I would do.

I become a Free Agent and target teams that are ONLY missing a QB to become a SB favorite for a 4-6 year or so window. Because it won't be the Colts who do that, Luck is carrying them.

Put Luck on the Rams and lookout. Or the Bills. A few teams actually. And he will get the HUGE contract if he stays or goes. Why not go to a team that is a QB away from winning it all.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
Them paying Wilson is the best thing that will happen to the Rams. It's just like Flacco - he's won you one, played well doing it, and now he's going to get the mega bucks - once that happens, the talent around him will slowly fade away, and you'll be left with just an above average QB.

Thing is, it wasn't Russ that won them the superbowl. He's certainly above average, but worth $20 mil/year?? Lol.

This past post season outlined exactly how I feel about Wilson - 5 turn overs against the Packers, in the NFCCG, at home. Then they put the ball in your hands to win a superbowl, and you throw an INT. That whole evolution was hilarious - if all things were equal, but it was Peyton and not Wilson that threw that INT, we'd be hearing about how he choked again. Whereas Wilson got no blame for it. Crazy. The only really great games Wilson has played against us resulted in a Rams win, and a 7 point loss (2nd game against us in his rookie year).

I am not afraid of Russell Wilson.

I wish I could triple like this post.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you find an above average QB, you have to pay him and keep him.

Some teams spend many years and various forms of investment (draft picks and FA dollars) trying to find above average. See Cleveland, NY Jets, Cardinals... Etc. The list is many (Rams are teetering on being in that group).

I'm not sure where I sit with Wilson, but keeping him is a lot easier than finding his replacement.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree with it. Wilson will have them with a winning record nearly every season. But like Brees, Rodgers, and Manning - they're only going to get one superbowl.

Think about it - Wilson isn't even close to those guys, but will likely be paid more than them. The reason those guys failed to win more than 1 (so far) is because the team slowly deteriorated around them. I think Rodgers will win another. But he's the best QB in the NFL.

It's a tough call, but if I'm Seattle, I offer him $15 mil/year, and if he says no, I let him go.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Both teams should pay their qbs now. The Ravens should have done that too before his last year. He led them to the playoffs each season. Then he won the super bowl and then they had to pay him even more money. Could have saved a little by resigning him before that. Oh well. Colts and Hawks are going to have to pay a lot