Come up with a nickname for the Patriots secondary

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This should be good. :snicker:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...for-patriots-secondary-should-come-from-fans/

With guys like Browner and Butler and Darrelle Revis and Devin McCourty, what nickname does the former member of the Legion of Boom believe should the New England secondary have? Browner explained that the nickname, whatever it becomes, needs to come from the fans.

So have at it, Pats fans. Start suggesting nicknames for the team’s cornerbacks and safeties. We’ll see if one of them manages to stick.
------------
Revis and Butthead
------------
Legion of Cheat
-----------
Sons of Belichick
-----------
Legion of Madoffs
-----------
Cheaters Lil Helpers

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Is "The Cheaty Cheater McCheatersons" taken?

There's a subtle theme there. You may miss it.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The grabbers?

The psychics? As in "we already heard the play call so there's no point huddling up."

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
With what Revis payday will soon become.. I say expensive.. :cool:

SierraRam

Recreational User
The Grab Four

images

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Team nickname- The Expendables- because everyone except for Brady is expendable.
Malcolm Butler's Nickname- Gandalf, because "You shall not Pass!!" in the endzone.
Secondary Nickname- Who cares? They probably won't be together long enough to make it stick. I didn't watch any Pats game this season, big surprise, but were they good enough to merit a nickname?

desertdawg

UDFA
Butler was amazing on that pick, not enough credit goes his way. Time was running out, the chickens were already on the half yard line, so a penalty aint shit in that scenario. He got burned on the same play in practice the previous Friday, and Belicheat told him he had to occupy that space. A lot of teams were successful with that play this year, but the Pats had too much secondary in to try it. Fisher is now the second best coach in the NFCWest

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Since the refs allow them to grab and tackle after 5 yards, I would offer up:
"The Boston Strangler's"

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
This is so obvious ever since 2001! The Holding Company.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Rice admits cheating, ESPN and NFL ignore it
Posted by Mike Florio on February 9, 2015, 10:53 AM EST
rice.jpg
Getty Images
On Friday, quotes emerged from Hall of Fame receiver Jerry Rice regarding the application of stickum to his gloves. In comments to ESPN that predated his strong criticism of the Patriots for #DeflateGate, Rice called the practice “a little illegal.”

Early Saturday (as in overnight early), Rice took to Twitter to address the comments. Instead of claiming that his words were taken out of context or that he was joking, Riceadmitted that he had cheated. He took refuge in the “everyone did it” excuse.

It seems like a big deal, especially since Rice had a bad habit early in his career of not being able to catch passes. ESPN, which started the fire by extracting the quotes from Rice and publishing them in an ESPN feature, has no mention of the admission anywhere on ESPN.com. There’s no hint of the confession on the website the NFL owns and operates.

While it’s entirely possible that many if not most if not all receivers applied stickum to their gloves in the ’80s, ’90s, ’00s, and now, cheating is cheating. If ESPN plans to body slam the Patriots for #DeflateGate, shouldn’t ESPN at least acknowledge that Rice — a former ESPN employee — has admitted to using an illegal substance with the goal of making it easier to perform the most important aspect of his job?

As to the NFL, the approach when it comes to the rabbit hole of cheating isn’t to explore it but to plug it with cement and nail whoever they happen to catch in the act. When it comes to cheating by players and coaches no longer in the league, there’s nothing to be gained and plenty to be lost by broadcasting corruption that went undetected and unpunished.

That’s why the NFL tends to punish harshly the unlucky few who are caught in the act. The only hope of stopping cheating is to make folks worry about the consequences, in the event that they become one of the unlucky few whose violations of the rules are detected.

UPDATE 12:00 p.m. ET: ESPN has pointed out to PFT that the issue has not been completely ignored by ESPN.com. However, there’s no link to the Rice confession of cheating among the stack of top stories on the ESPN.com or the ESPN.com NFL page. Instead, the link to the ESPNBoston.com treatment of the Rice situationappears in a much lower spot of the ESPN.com home page.

Permalink 75 Comments

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Irvin strongly denies using stickum
Posted by Mike Florio on February 12, 2015, 2:07 PM EST
irvin.jpg
Getty Images
Most in the media have ignored #Stickumgate. Fortunately, the folks at WFAN haven’t.

In the aftermath of Hall of Fame receiver Jerry Rice admitting to the application of stickum to his gloves and claiming that everyone did it, no other Hall of Famers (or other receivers) have come forward and said, “He’s right.” Instead, two of them (so far) have said they never used stickum.

First, it was Hall of Famer Cris Carter. Now, former Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin has strongly denied using stickum in a segment with Evan Roberts of WFAN.

“I love Jerry Rice, but that’s what everybody says. ‘Oh, everybody did it.’ That’s the oldest defense in the world,” Irvin told WFAN’s Evan Roberts. “I didn’t use Stickum. I never used Stickum, didn’t need Stickum, didn’t believe in Stickum. I wouldn’t do it. Troy [Aikman] would go off on me if I put Stickum on his footballs. You see what I’m saying? Stop asking me this junk. I didn’t feel like I should answer it. I have not answered one on it.”

And then things escalated. Quickly. And disturbingly.

“It’s almost like — and I hate to get this harsh — if Aaron Hernandez starts saying ‘Well, Michael murdered some people,’ don’t start asking me did I murder somebody,” Irvin said. “You know darn well I didn’t murder anybody. Just because somebody threw it out there — leave me alone with that mess. Get off my Twitter with that.”

Hopefully, Irvin’s comments will prompt more in the media to explore whether other receivers will be echoing Rice’s comments that all receivers used stickum or, as Carter and Irvin have done, stranding Rice on an island.